You are here

Lexicon MX200

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Lexicon MX200

Postby harddrive » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:17 am

Hi

Have a Lexicon MX200 effects unit. I have it being fed from AUX1 from a Yamaha MG16XU desk with AUX2 going to a TC Voicelive Touch. The idea is to get some doubling and decent reverb in our vocal channels as and when required in our 80s synthpop tribute band.

Previously, the MX200 was working fine and being controlled from a single USB midi track from my Bandlab Sonar DAW, switching both effect channels on and off as required and selecting programmes as needed. I introduced the Voicelive into a similar setup and then reconnected the MX200 and hey presto: no audio input into the MX200. I have tried everything - the leads are good, the sends work, the MX has been factory reset (twice) and I have checked all the utility menus (input is 'AN' not 'DI')

I have seen online there have been problems with this unit suddenly refusing to acknowledge input. Does anyone have anything to offer on this with grateful thanks coming the other way from a head-scratchingly frustrated bloke this end, please?
harddrive
Poster

Re: Lexicon MX200

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:26 am

I had one of these, sometimes, one or both engines used to stop working, I turned it off, and back on again, all was fine.
I found it very unreliable, I couldn’t trust it, hopefully yours will start working again, if not I'd look at another hardware reverb, TC are good, or a Lexicon MX300, had one of those for awhile, no problems.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:51 am

It’s got several boards inside linked by ribbon cables. There’s always a possibility one or more of these are loose and need re-seating.

I don’t know whether a bad internal memory battery could cause this sort of problem. It’s not easily replaceable but it can be done. Not a simple CR2032. Battery life is supposed to be 20 years on average. Details can be found on the web.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby harddrive » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:22 am

Thanks for these responses.

I'll have a look at the internal memory battery situation. I have also contacted Harman for some help. Bit disappointed that this unit - previously working really well, - has a fatal flaw in it which seems to be a common thing and Harman haven't solutioned it effectively. It seems like when it happens, that's it for the unit and it is dead. My problem is that I want an outboard effects rack that is moderately cheap, has USB connectivity (because I don't really want to use a USB/MIDI interface either) and is easy to use. All I have to do with Bandlab for each track is set the Program Change and a set of CCs in track to switch both processors on and off as required. I like that convenience and working with the VoiceLive in AUX2 it did provide a great range of doubling and delay/reverb. I set the whole thing up with the VL external to test, then took the rig to bits to mount the VL inside my rig rack box and reconnected. Result? MX now not receiving input signal (from any AUX send and even connected separately to test it's inputs. It seems that simply taking it out to reconfigure has switched the unit of permanently (even the auditions)

Can Hugh and the team take this kind of thing up with Harman at all too?

HARDDRIVE
harddrive
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:39 am

I can’t find one current modestly priced rack reverb that has USB, maybe you’d be better off looking at some of the pedal reverbs as some of those have USB, something like the TC Hall Of Fame 2, not sure what parameters it allows you to access though.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby AlecSp » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:02 am

harddrive wrote:I'll have a look at the internal memory battery situation. I have also contacted Harman for some help. Bit disappointed that this unit - previously working really well, - has a fatal flaw in it which seems to be a common thing and Harman haven't solutioned it effectively. It seems like when it happens, that's it for the unit and it is dead. ...... It seems that simply taking it out to reconfigure has switched the unit of permanently (even the auditions)

Can Hugh and the team take this kind of thing up with Harman at all too?
Blimey - you go in a bit hard, don't you!

This is a 15 year old product. Stuff does fail from time to time...

You've had some good suggestions to check that no ribbon cables have become detached inside - quite possible with the disruption of moving it. Also the internal battery could well have reached end of life - quite possible given how old this product line is. You didn't say if the unit is actually powering up - if not, then you could try a new power supply.

None of these are exactly critical faults, and are sadly only too common in technology gear. But easily diagnosed and fixed.

If, after checking these things, and still no success, and if there was no other unit that did the same, most of us would just go out on eBay and pick up a replacement - it's not rocket science.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster

Postby harddrive » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:07 pm

Blimey - you go in a bit hard, don't you!

This is a 15 year old product. Stuff does fail from time to time...

You've had some good suggestions to check that no ribbon cables have become detached inside - quite possible with the disruption of moving it. Also the internal battery could well have reached end of life - quite possible given how old this product line is. You didn't say if the unit is actually powering up - if not, then you could try a new power supply.

None of these are exactly critical faults, and are sadly only too common in technology gear. But easily diagnosed and fixed.

If, after checking these things, and still no success, and if there was no other unit that did the same, most of us would just go out on eBay and pick up a replacement - it's not rocket science.

My point is that looking across the internet, this is (what we'd term in engineering) a 'class issue'. If there is a defect and it has common symptoms and comes about through similar circumstances with similar outcomes, and the OEM knows about it, then surely there should be some or other remedy issued by the OEM. Would you expect this with a television or a dishwasher which had a 'common fault'? Not saying that Harman should be product recalling the MX200. What they should do, to maintain user and future customer faith is investigate it and provide a fix. It's good customer relations and prevents people putting 'don't buy this, it breaks and can't be fixed' when product reviews are requested. If I buy another one (as you suggest) is it still rocket science to assume that one will break also? and please allow me the credit of not telling you first that the unit powers up. I think I'd know where to look if that happened. I have all the indications I should (and wouldn't have been able to factory reset or check menu items either don't forget) it's just that there is no led indication on the inputs (despite the AUX1 sending an okay signal to my other effects unit when patched) and there is no 'Audition' sample played at the outputs either. It seems if anything any EPROM or firmware settings on whatever chip are in some what adjusted so it is just not picking up any input signal. It would be great if this could be accessed and overwritten via the USB, or a patch issued by Harman to counter this.
harddrive
Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:36 pm

It may just be a hardware failure. There will be several power rails of different voltages derived from the main 9v dc input, and if just one of those power circuits has a blown chip, then whilst you may get some things to work, the unit won't work as it should do.

It could be a bad/loose ribbon connector joint, or it may be that the battery has leaked and has corroded some important circuitry. Without taking the unit apart and checking, you'll never know.

If the battery is rechargeable and has discharged, it may just require powering of for a while before a factory reset will work properly.

What firmware version is your unit? I have no idea what the latest version is (looking on the web I can see there was a v1.8 but there may be still later versions). There is a Lexicon Net Update program, but this is 32-bit only and on Windows, the stated support only goes up to Win 8, so it my or may not work on Win 10. For Apple it is just a generic 'OSX'. Both program versions date from 2016. You can but try.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:13 pm

Wonks wrote:It may just be a hardware failure. There will be several power rails of different voltages derived from the main 9v dc input,

The PSU is 9V ac, 1.3A.

The VST controller is a 32bit VST but I dont know if that can perform updates.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:32 pm

N i g e l wrote:
Wonks wrote:It may just be a hardware failure. There will be several power rails of different voltages derived from the main 9v dc input,

The PSU is 9V ac, 1.3A.

The VST controller is a 32bit VST but I dont know if that can perform updates.

Yes, my mistake on the voltage type.

There’s a separate program for firmware updates to the set-up/control program.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:16 pm

My ac PSU stopped working so I took it apart to find out why. The transformer had a two legged thing embedded in series which was blocking the flow. As the wall wart case had been sealed for life this required a new [3rd party] PSU.
The original out put cable was really good quality tho, nice and thick :thumbup:
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby AlecSp » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:45 pm

harddrive wrote:If there is a defect and it has common symptoms and comes about through similar circumstances with similar outcomes, and the OEM knows about it, then surely there should be some or other remedy issued by the OEM. Would you expect this with a television or a dishwasher which had a 'common fault'?
It's incredibly rare to find a manufacturer documenting issues like this - especially when the failure is typically age related. On-line resources have been the go-to for stuff like this for years - and are brilliant

harddrive wrote:please allow me the credit of not telling you first that the unit powers up. I think I'd know where to look if that happened.
Apologies for missing that bit. You wouldn't have been the first person to be looking for a more involved problem when it was simply a case of not powering up.

Wonks wrote:It may just be a hardware failure. There will be several power rails of different voltages derived from the main 9v dc input, and if just one of those power circuits has a blown chip, then whilst you may get some things to work, the unit won't work as it should do.

It could be a bad/loose ribbon connector joint, or it may be that the battery has leaked and has corroded some important circuitry. Without taking the unit apart and checking, you'll never know.
All of this! Most of us are capable of opening up a unit and having a quick look-see to determine if there's something obviously amiss.

I can go a little further in diagnosis. But not as far as a mate of mine who's a whizz and can generally identify the faulty component, which then is an easy replacement - if the item can be sourced.

It does sound like you haven't yet done the easy "open up and take a look", which really should be your first port of call.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster

Postby harddrive » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:26 pm

AlecSp wrote:
harddrive wrote:If there is a defect and it has common symptoms and comes about through similar circumstances with similar outcomes, and the OEM knows about it, then surely there should be some or other remedy issued by the OEM. Would you expect this with a television or a dishwasher which had a 'common fault'?
It's incredibly rare to find a manufacturer documenting issues like this - especially when the failure is typically age related. On-line resources have been the go-to for stuff like this for years - and are brilliant

harddrive wrote:please allow me the credit of not telling you first that the unit powers up. I think I'd know where to look if that happened.
Apologies for missing that bit. You wouldn't have been the first person to be looking for a more involved problem when it was simply a case of not powering up.

Wonks wrote:It may just be a hardware failure. There will be several power rails of different voltages derived from the main 9v dc input, and if just one of those power circuits has a blown chip, then whilst you may get some things to work, the unit won't work as it should do.

All of this! Most of us are capable of opening up a unit and having a quick look-see to determine if there's something obviously amiss.

I can go a little further in diagnosis. But not as far as a mate of mine who's a whizz and can generally identify the faulty component, which then is an easy replacement - if the item can be sourced.

It does sound like you haven't yet done the easy "open up and take a look", which really should be your first port of call.

Will get it opened up soon. Just hope it's a basic fix. I don't have the intrinsic test and fix facilities some cleverer people have.

HARDDRIVE
harddrive
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:47 pm

A multimeter will get you most of the way there. If you don't already have one you can get some pretty sophisticated ones for under £20 these days - and Lidl are currently doing a special offer on one that looks reasonably good.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby AlecSp » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:11 pm

James Perrett wrote:A multimeter will get you most of the way there. If you don't already have one you can get some pretty sophisticated ones for under £20 these days - and Lidl are currently doing a special offer on one that looks reasonably good.
A good multimeter - cheap
The knowledge of how to use it - priceless
AlecSp
Frequent Poster

Next