You are here

Putting together a Vintage Stereo system

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Putting together a Vintage Stereo system

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:13 pm

Ok guys, now that I have have my DJ Rig mostly settled, my next step is to put together a 60s and a 70s stereo system. For the 60s system. Yesterday I got a Receiver and Speakers for only $30

https://i.postimg.cc/BnfWWh9K/IMG-2638.jpg

I ordered these RCA plugs for the Receiver's Speaker jacks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speaker-Wire-C ... 4148641474

but meantime until I receive them, can I simply cut a regular RCA cable and join them with the speaker wire?

https://i.postimg.cc/FzxS9WCH/IMG-2645.jpg
mikehende
Regular

Re: Putting together a Vintage Stereo system

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:03 pm

As a temp fix yes, it would probably be fine long term too but your new plugs will probably give a more aesthetically pleasing solution.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:11 pm

Before you even think about using those speakers you need to replace the foam surrounds on the bottom bass drivers - otherwise you'll probably end up damaging the voice coils (if they aren't already damaged). You can probably find suitable surrounds on Ebay if you don't have a local speaker repair place. It is possible to replace the surrounds yourself if you have plenty of patience and are careful.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:25 pm

With my arthritic hands I am not sure it is something I should attempt. Local speaker repair here in NY might be more expensive than replacing the woofers. I will look into it.

Meantime guys, let me address/confirm 2 issues regarding these speakers.

I had a pair of 15" 3 or 4 ways speakers back in the late 70s or early 80s, was definitely before 1982. I think it was either Fisher, Pioneer, Kenwood or Technics brand. I have been trying to look at all speakers by these brands during that time period but can't get the proper resource to look up all speakers made by those brands.

From what I remember, the speaker had a brown grill cloth material cover, not see-through like these Fisher ST-845. They had attenuation knobs at the top right of the front panel I think and had paper cone tweeter.

The ST845 made in 1984 and later according to the info on the net:

http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/Fisher/ST-845

has what looks like a bullet or super tweeter, my question regarding this is how different would this 1984 model sound compared to the say a 1980 version? I was told that it will not make much difference?
mikehende
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:57 pm

I think you can be sure they will all sound very coloured by modern standards, and probably very different from each other.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:12 pm

I think so too so I will keep my eyes out for the earlier mentioned version, I can always fix this pair and resell at any time.

Getting back to these speakers. I think as James said that one might need reconing as it doesn't sound as good as the other speaker. With reconing and refoaming costs I have to also look at speaker replacement.

So I am think any newer woofer will not sound the same as the original and maybe better bet might be to look for an older pair of 80s woofers like Peavey Black Widows maybe?
mikehende
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:42 pm

Black Widows aren't hifi speakers - you need something totally different and these days you may struggle to find large hifi woofers as the market has gone for smaller drivers.

These speakers you've bought were cheap for a reason - they need someone skilled to fix them up and, even then, I'm not sure how good they really are - but US and European tastes in hifi speakers are very different which is one of the reasons why many Japanese manufacturers sold European sourced speakers over here.

This video gives you an idea of what you will need to do if you want to rescue these speakers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrHsjr6TWAs
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:47 pm

Yeah you're correct. I am finding good close to original woofers in great condition so I think might be best I get those for around $80 a piece rather than paying for repairs and risking that it may not be done properly, good point on that, thanks!
mikehende
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:14 pm

TBH both the bass drivers in those speakers are completely buggered and need the foam/rubber surrounds replacing at the very least. Why don't you just buy a decent pair of speakers and stop messing around with cr@p?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:50 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:TBH both the bass drivers in those speakers are completely buggered and need the foam/rubber surrounds replacing at the very least. Why don't you just buy a decent pair of speakers and stop messing around with cr@p?

There is a lot in what Sam has said, however, if you really want to use those speakers, Wembley Speakers are fantastic at re-coning anything, highly recommended.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Postby AlecSp » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:21 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Why don't you just buy a decent pair of speakers and stop messing around with cr@p?
Which has been my thoughts all along!

While I've got very fond memories of listening to cassettes on my hi-fi back in the 80s, nothing would persuade me to go back to that kit. A networked media server, along with quality active speakers at home leaves all that for dust.

Arpangel wrote:Hwever, if you really want to use those speakers, Wembley Speakers are fantastic at re-coning anything, highly recommended.
Wembley might be a bit of a stretch for the OP, who would appear to be based across the pond from the UK. (Don't get me started again on how helpful it would be if people had their location in their profile!)
AlecSp
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:28 am

AlecSp wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:Why don't you just buy a decent pair of speakers and stop messing around with cr@p?
Which has been my thoughts all along!

While I've got very fond memories of listening to cassettes on my hi-fi back in the 80s, nothing would persuade me to go back to that kit. A networked media server, along with quality active speakers at home leaves all that for dust.

Arpangel wrote:Hwever, if you really want to use those speakers, Wembley Speakers are fantastic at re-coning anything, highly recommended.
Wembley might be a bit of a stretch for the OP, who would appear to be based across the pond from the UK. (Don't get me started again on how helpful it would be if people had their location in their profile!)

Helping someone choose a vintage stereo is like trying to recommend the best pair of monitors under three hundred quid.
I think what you listen on, is largely determined by how much music you listen to, where, and when.
I listen to very little music, I played a CD about two weeks ago, I don’t play downloads, most of my listening is random YouTube, BBC Radio 3/4, and Jazz FM.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Postby forumuser931182 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:29 am

This place offers speaker repair in N.Y.
https://audiovideonyc.com/speakersrepairnyc.html
At least you can get a quote. Probably lots of others but you really want an old electronics hifi repair store run by someone your age who’s friendly and cheap.
You may find that your memory of the music quality from the 80’s is slightly rose tinted but I have had some of my best music experiences on some of the worst hifi equipment. I keep a record player and cassette deck just to remind me how things have improved.
Good luck.
forumuser931182
Regular

Postby AlecSp » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:05 pm

forumuser931182 wrote:You may find that your memory of the music quality from the 80’s is slightly rose tinted but I have had some of my best music experiences on some of the worst hifi equipment. I keep a record player and cassette deck just to remind me how things have improved.
All of this!
I remember just how impressed I was with the GBP 100 radio/cassette/speaker system I put in my first car in 1987. Chris De Burgh never sounded so good! I would indeed cringe in so many ways now....
AlecSp
Frequent Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:30 am

Back in those days I never had the money to buy anything decent and to be honest didn't care that much either. 1985 I got my Revolver Rebel for my 21st Birthday and only then did I buy anything that I actually thought might sound half decent a pair of Keff speakers and NAD amp. The deck is still here next to me and the amp and speakers are stored somewhere in my parents garage. Would I swap out those speakers for my Q Acoustics or my QUAD power amps, NOPE. Before I bought the Q Acoustics I had B&W 704 speakers, they were great but I had them for quite a few years and decided a change was well over due.

Question is, now I am 58 would I consider those speakers or amp as retro? I guess there old but they would never come close to any list I would make to configure a system from back then. I would be looking at something back then that was good but I could never afford, Linn for example, not something I might have owned and used in my bedroom. Are you only going to be playing digital music files through them?

Panasonic made good stuff even then but it was never audiophile kit and Fisher speakers were never anything more than adequate and there are many far better speakers out there. I guess they might sound better than a transistor radio from back in the day but I fail to see what objective you are after? I would have have thought any half decent reasonably priced modern system would sound far better?
uselessoldman
Regular

Next