You are here

mixer with HDMI and mic IN

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

mixer with HDMI and mic IN

Postby kearkg » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:15 pm

hi everyone,

i would like to use a digital mixer with HDMI in/out and use it for a karaoke setup in my living room.

the signal chain would be
PC into Mixer via HDMI
2 x microphones into Mixer via XLR

output from Mixer into an AVR (yamaha), then output into the TV.

a couple of questions....what product would do what i need?
the only one i've come across so far is the Roland VR1HD which is pricey and has additional streaming features which i dont need. do they have any products cheaper in their product line that could do the same?

do i need to make any digital optical connections in the signal chain to be able to mix the 2 sources of audio going into the mixer, out to the AVR?

The pc will be used with a wireless keyboard and mouse running software like kjams
thanks.
kearkg

Re: mixer with HDMI and mic IN

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:25 pm

Why not use a USB audio interface to get the audio out of the computer, you should still be able to use HDMI for video? Or does you HDMI equipped display/TV have an audio output, or even a headphone socket?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby kearkg » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:49 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Why not use a USB audio interface to get the audio out of the computer, you should still be able to use HDMI for video? Or does you HDMI equipped display/TV have an audio output, or even a headphone socket?

output of the audio eventually needs to make it to my passive speakers which will be connected into my AVR
output of video needs to make to my TV which will also be connected to my AVR (via HDMI).

what products can you recommend and how would the signal chain work?
kearkg

Postby AlecSp » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:46 pm

I think that what Sam is getting at is the same mystification I've got as to why you want to do basic audio mixing in the video domain.

You could do it, but you'll pay through the nose for it.

What makes sense (to me) is that the video from your PC would go to the display. Audio from the PC would go into a simple audio mixer, along with mic inputs, and the output would feed your speaker system.

Sounds obvious - but if you've got some convoluted reason why it all really needs to be done in the video domain, then go ahead and open your wallet.

Also bear in mind that this is a live sound forum, so we'll tend to focus on the noise part of things.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:30 pm

kearkg wrote:hi everyone,

i would like to use a digital mixer with HDMI in/out and use it for a karaoke setup in my living room.

the signal chain would be
PC into Mixer via HDMI
2 x microphones into Mixer via XLR

output from Mixer into an AVR (yamaha), then output into the TV.

a couple of questions....what product would do what i need?
the only one i've come across so far is the Roland VR1HD which is pricey and has additional streaming features which i dont need. do they have any products cheaper in their product line that could do the same?

do i need to make any digital optical connections in the signal chain to be able to mix the 2 sources of audio going into the mixer, out to the AVR?

Most digital mixers will expect other formats in input - digital audio formats - with the exception of the ubiquitous USB. From the PC side, you could just connect via USB, and take the outputs from the mixer with something like an RCA to HDMI converter?

In short, I don't think much HDMI enabled-equipment in audio (but a Google search will tell you all you know), but there's plenty cheap way to stream to/from HDMI via adapters. Nots sure how well they work with recording (or just syncing audio) since every step in the chain will add latency.

If all you want to do is get video and audio on the TV, you're much better off with a cromecast and streaming from your PC.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:00 am

I'm with Alec on this one...

Over the past few months I've been using various combinations and routings of audio and video signals to connect to Zoom and do various bits and pieces with OBS.

Sure, there are 'mixers' available that take HDMI ins and can also process audio. The market leaders in the 'streaming' field are the Blackmagic ATEM range. Some models do have reasonably sophisticated audio channels, but to get the best from them you need to use the computer-enabled/supported functions.

Of course, you can also use HDMI-USB converters. I have two and they work well. But as has been pointed out, trying to sync the audio and video back together when they've been processed in different ways is 'difficult'. The most satisfactory way I've found of doing it is to introduce a delay line (NB not 'delay' as in mixer FX) into the audio stream. But then of course you do have lag between live and video/audio. Not an issue when streaming, but a bit off-putting if people can physically see the person as well as hear/see them via electronic means
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby kearkg » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:44 am

so essentially, if i use a scarlett 2i2 ,

can i send the HDMI signal from PC direct into AVR (then into TV) - to take care of the video feed.

then from PC USB into Scarlett, unbalanced TRS to RCA into AVR for the speaker system.

that way i get my video to the tv and i get my audio into the scarlett which also has the MICS plugged into it.

would this work fine?
kearkg

Postby ef37a » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:52 am

Not sure if it helps but I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extractor-Sepa ... NrPXRydWU=
So I could record audio from an HDMI recording whist monitoring picture on TV.

There are adapters and gizzmos aplenty on Amazon and CPC/Farnell have good range. You do need to check VERY carefully that th box you are buying does what you think it might!

You will probably end up with a vast tangle various boxes and cables but I am sure almost anything you can imagine you WANT to do CAN be done?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster