You are here

Summing iPad output to Mono via a TRS to TS lead

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Summing iPad output to Mono via a TRS to TS lead

Postby Murray B » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:23 pm

Thanks Tomas,

Yes I got the zero / infinite mixed up in my head (more evidence of my lack of technical knowledge) - so this may indeed be the simple solution, some of the iPad sounds are stereo, but I think we could live with just one channel rather than two and hopefully it wouldn't sound too weird.

I'm still going to get a quote for summing leads though and see if we can find some funds, for cables, but if we need to do it on the cheap snipping the ring connection could be the most cost effective solution (certainly cheaper than replacing the iPads)

Thanks for the idea :thumbup:
Murray B
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:56 pm

This may be slightly less elegant but...

TRS-(TSx2) like an insert lead but with an ⅛" jack. Pick a side (L or R), plug it in. Wrap some 'leccy tape round the other one.

Viola!

Am I missing something?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Murray B » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:24 pm

shufflebeat wrote:This may be slightly less elegant but...

TRS-(TSx2) like an insert lead but with an ⅛" jack. Pick a side (L or R), plug it in. Wrap some 'leccy tape round the other one.

Viola!

Am I missing something?

Nope - this would work too - I hadn't considered it as a solution though so thank you.

Also gives us the option of stereo for smaller groups - especially if I use some earth sleeving rather than tape.

And it's the kind of lead that is easy to buy off the shelf as well

:thumbup:

However perception is important for us - we like to look like we are using all the right stuff for the job, but as a quick and easy solution for a replacement cable it's a great idea and we could do with few stereo cables anyway for other projects where we are using less iPads.
Murray B
Regular

Previous