You are here

A&H GSR24 review

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

A&H GSR24 review

Postby turbodave » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 am

Ok! So I have just read Hugh's glowing report on this mixer....how dare he!! Holidays imminent, uncertain income next year, price of fuel and now SOS has me in a half nelson over this desk. Hugh, couldn't you have lied and put some more negatives in there, what about the colour, is the desk angled correctly, are the knobs tactile enough....does it self clean? c'mon help me out here!!! Dave :tongue:
turbodave
Frequent Poster
My head hurts!

Re: A&H GSR24 review

Postby ProximityProduction » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:11 am

I'm still trying to find the catch - but as much as I would love one I cant accidentally buy one :frown: wayy too poor... oh well...
ProximityProduction
Regular

Postby RegressiveRock » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:13 am

turbodave wrote:Ok! So I have just read Hugh's glowing report on this mixer....how dare he!! Holidays imminent, uncertain income next year, price of fuel and now SOS has me in a half nelson over this desk. Hugh, couldn't you have lied and put some more negatives in there, what about the colour, is the desk angled correctly, are the knobs tactile enough....does it self clean? c'mon help me out here!!! Dave :tongue:

When I saw the spec, capabilities and online demos of the 24M, I had to go and have a quiet lie down.

I think I actually wrote a long email to Allen and Heath saying this is what a desk should be like. I didn't actually expect them to build the bleedin' thing.

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Smoking Goats
https://www.facebook.com/SmokingGoats

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:32 am

ditto reg, I had discussions with A&H some years ago about what i wanted to see implemented on a descendent of the Gs3000... being the mutant offspring of the GS3V and Gs3K , and a few other bits....

oh look..... almost EXACTLY what i asked for... and more or less at the price point i suggested .

Sub post offices of the south, Watch out !!!!
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Zukan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Had a shufti a couple of weeks ago for a student and got a tad moist.
Zukan

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Looks like time to hit the Post Office.... for a Lottery ticket ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby johnctiller » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:43 pm

I haven't received my magazine yet. Did Hugh compare it to the Midas Venice F series which is cheaper and recieved glowing reviews from SOS?
johnctiller
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:14 am

No direct comparison John, although the Venice was mentioned in the alternatives box.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby The Korff » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:09 am

I'm not even sure they are directly comparable... The Midas doesn't offer any DAW control facilities, and is at its heart still a live mixer (there's no 'proper' control room section, there are fewer auxes, and IIRC some of these are designated pre-fader stage monitor outputs and can't be switched post-fader, there's no moving-fader option, etc).

Both look lovely though! I haven't used either of them, but I've got plenty of experience with other GS-series desks, and I've used the older Venices in anger many times too. My educated guess would say that the Midas is more of a bomb-proof utilitarian desk, with EQs that do what you tell them to, and that the A&H is a slightly more musical-sounding affair... Or at least, that's the impression I get from using older mixers from the same companies.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby M.A.D. » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:03 pm

Looks like a great desk, though the one thing about A&H I really don't like is the separate faders for L+R. I mean, wtf? :?
M.A.D.
New here