You are here

Red Fire Audio RFA-TM10H Passive PA Speaker

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Red Fire Audio RFA-TM10H Passive PA Speaker

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:59 am

First-off; these are Digital Village own-brand speakers, but brief research indicates they're generic Chinese - being sold elsewhere under a different badge at a 'special price' of 50% more.

This is just a quick 'first impressions' post. Perhaps I'll post again when I've been able to evaluate them in different settings and listen very critically to them.

Due to a disaster a few weeks ago when I dropped my second-set of speakers down the loft-ladder :frown: I needed some replacements very quickly. Cash was tight (when isn't it?) so I knew my max budget was about £250.

Ideally I wanted wood not plastic and a manufacturer noted for producing decent speakers. Research quickly indicated that that aspiration was a pipe-dream. Looking through what Digital Village had to offer I noticed their new Red Fire Audio brand with 10-inch woofer and 200 watts RMS handling - and made of ply. Thinking that they were for my 'second-set' and wouldn't have to do anything too serious I decided to risk it and take a punt. The helpful sales-guy at DV said that he thought I'd be surprised and impressed. Well he would do wouldn't he? :D

But he was right. A quick "do they work?" test DID impress with very solid bass and highs that were not harsh. Mids seemed to hold their rightful place too. Today they got their first proper workout when I was helping a friend at a gig where he needed more gear. We decided to use the RFAs as monitors for the vocalists. When rigging the stage and squirting some test-tracks through them for level and EQ we were both blown away by how they stacked-up. A really solid sound that seemed well-balanced. They took plenty of level too with absolutely no signs of distress. When the band arrived they wanted to know where the new monitors had come from and immediately commented on what a good sound they were hearing.

The sound's the all-important factor of course, but other plus-points are a decent carry handle on the side, assymetrical design for both FoH and monitor duties and two sets of in/out speakons for optimum use in either mode. £99.99 each.

More tests and appraisals to follow, but they've impressed enough to be given an airing as FoH for the next acoustic gig I do.

Watch this space...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Red Fire Audio RFA-TM10H Passive PA Speaker

Postby grab » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 am

Hmm, interesting. Looks like DV have decided to go for the gap in the market since Studiospares ramped up the prices on all their stuff.

I'm considering something myself to replace my rather rubbish monitors and/or use for front fills on larger rooms, so these could be handy. Obviously I'd like some nice RCFs, but I'd have to sell the wife and son for that. ;)
grab
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Red Fire Audio RFA-TM10H Passive PA Speaker

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Well... the jury's still out...

After being well-impressed with their first outing ^^^^ I used them last Friday for a local "Question Time" type event- obviously speech only. A good solid sound with no undue peaks or troughs so all seemed good.

BUT using them last Saturday for an acoustic guitar duo I was less impressed. They just didn't cut it for me somehow. (Maybe I'm too used to the sheer quality from my beloved Celestion SRs for this type of application.)

That said, the audience was well-pleased with the sound - including some discerning friends whose judgment I trust - and I wasn't doing anything outrageous with the graphic to get a 'reasonable' sound.

Maybe it's just that the sound at the first outing impressed me so much that I've now set my evaluation bar too high. After all, they WERE less than £200 the pair!

So methinks some detailed tests with known reference material are needed.

At this stage, I can't suggest that they're the bargain of the decade. Competent, yes, but not as 'Gordon Bennett' as I'd first supposed. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster