You are here

some consumer software can also be useful for the audio restoration pro

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

some consumer software can also be useful for the audio restoration pro

Postby abby normal » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:43 pm

some disorganized thoughts from an outsider- i am not a certified member of the pro music establishment, but i do audio restoration work as a highly perseverative hobby as well as to help the occasional music-loving person with a problematic old recording that they'd like to hear in better sound. to this end, aside from the mandatory sound forge 10, i've long used pristine sounds 2005 and iZotype Rx- i use them both in a complementary manner, the Rx gets rid of the loud pops and discrete clicks very well [via spectral editing and their declicker] and pristine sounds does the rest, including being able to "paintbrush" away certain nasties as well as iron-out nonlinearities in the waveform, performed within a spectral window. i've never used CEDAR retouch but i can't imagine how it could do much better with intrusive noise than the RX does, and even retouch can't touch what pristine sounds 2005 can do with their paintbrush [which, btw is somewhat different in function than the "healing brush" used in adobe audition]. i've also found that an economical [$40] program called "Click Repair" works even better [quicker and cleaner] than CEDAR DeClick on a wider variety of material, including brasses. the main advantage of having a CEDAR DeClick module is in real-time cleaning of phonographic recordings without having to load a PC.
i would like to hear from others here on this forum, with similar audio restoration experience or concerns. :)
abby normal
New here