You are here

Cubase 7, my first impression

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Cubase 7, my first impression

Postby Glenn Bucci » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:54 pm

I was able to download the upgrade from Cubase 5 (PC) to Cubase 7 on line. Thankfully the install went very well. Here are some of my observations.

1. I like the way you can customize the screens, and I really do like the way the mixer looks a lot better. Different colored faders for audio, midi, and group is something I like as you can find things a little faster. It also has a smoother look, and appears more modern. They have not updated the Cubase mixer for a very long time, and this new look seems fresh and up to date. Now you can also put a photo of a instrument above the faders. I know Logic gave this option a long time ago. It seems that it allows you to find the particular fader faster than looking at the words below on the scribble strips. Partially since you recogzine the photo faster than it is to read the names below.

2. I was initially happy about the channel strip being shown on the mixer screen. However after working with plug ins for so many years with a visual box showing up with additional visual information in front of you, I still prefer that work flow over just knobs. Also just the display of the controls and not being able to see everything big enough and at once I was not as keen on. However when you click the channel edit button, the whole channel strip for that channel shows up along with your inserts on the left and Aux's on the right like the previous versions. I found this a lot easier to work with (compared to the mixer page) the knobs alone. I found this display and it's work flow to be actually quite nice. Also you can click the EQ (next to the channel strip) and a new EQ display shows up which again looks fresher than the old display on the previous versions. . If you use the Studio EQ as an insert, the extra graph showing more information on the screen is quite nice. as well.
I like the vintage comp (which looks like a 1176 with more features), and I compared it to the Waves 1176. They sound similar though different. I would not say one is better than the other. Depending on the source, one may be better than another. The tube compressor adds some distortion, and does not really seem to warm up things. The tape effect I was not impressed with and it does not even come close to the one in Samplitude, not to mention the UAD Studer. Many of the bread and butter effects visually do not seem to be any different than the ones in Cubase 5.

Some things that were a little confusing initially like when you wanted to bypass an effect on a channel. Just by clicking on an insert on the mixer page does not disable it like the older version. You have to click on the left hand side of the insert where there is a small circle to bypass the effect. Also though I like seeing photos of the instruments, it makes the faders shorter and a little more difficult to read the fine details on the fader. I prefer to have the larger faders that are easier to read.

3. I think I will keep my visual work flow on the mixer similar to what I had in Cubase 5. Just showing the inserts and Aux on top. Perhaps the metering when mixing as well. I don't like the work flow of seeing your EQ in the channel strip as it is so big that it takes other things off the screen. You then have to scroll down to see the other sections with you mouse. I much prefer the way Samplitude has the layout of the inserts, effects, and EQ on their mixer. However I like the fader, and navigation screen on the left better in Cubase. I also like the improved way it lays out the plug ins in the mixer. It makes finding things a lot easier as it combines many plug ins together under the same title. I wish this is something Samplitude would do with their work flow.

4. In the older versions of Cubase you could save your mixer setting view. For instance a view that you would see the mixer starting with the first fader on the left. Another saved view you could click to open would start the mixer view on the drums, or group tracks. Samplitude was better in this area as they had numbers you just have to click on to see the different views. In Cubase you had to click, open,and move your mouse to the view you wanted. They seemed to have removed their old work flow. Now there is a visual column on the left that lists all your channels. So you just click on the track you want to see on the mixer. The mixer notes that you have on your project page on the far bottom, you can now also include on the mixer if you want. I typically use the note page for information like what mic, pre and certain settings I used for a track. Personally the information on the project page is enough for me, but the added flexiblity of adding it on the mixer page is nice.

5. I was glad with my install that all my Waves, UAD, Focusrite, and other plug ins all showed up and work well. The CPU performance seems to be similar to Cubase 5. I was a little worried since my computer is a couple years old. It seems this older computer will still be able to be used with Cubase 7. The Mackie Controller and Expander also work very well with the new version. Cubase 7 seemed to have taken the info from my Cubase 5 and transport them into Cubase 7.

This is just a scratch of the surface with all the new features of Cubase 7. I hope to work with musicans in the future who will have Cubase 7 in their studio. I would then be able to record tracks in my studio that will show up on their project on their Cubase 7. Also I know I will be working with the midi track to obtain new chord assistant change ideas for songs. The additional metering and putting the control room all on one screen is also very nice. Overall this version is a huge improvement and really puts Cubase/Nuendo back as one of the of the DAW's out there. It sill though lacks some features of Samplitude like burning CD;s, multipe mastering metering and powerful object editing. With Steinberg owning Wavelab, it seems many of these features will be for Wavelab only though. Though Samplitude is a powerful program which I really like, it's integration with third party plug ins and hardware is not a smooth and thought out as Cubase. Both are great programs in their own right though.
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster
revelationsoundstudio.com

Re: Cubase 7, my first impression

Postby Glenn Bucci » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Update: I have found The "Listening" feature on the mixer extremely helpful. Many times you solo a track to adjust certain things but it generally will sound different once in the mix. With this feature, it drops the level of all the tracks except for the one you want to hear. So you can a good perspective on how the track sounds in the mix with it being louder than the rest of the mix. Also you don't have to move your fader position to do it. Also the improved metering for the output is quite nice especially with the K scale that Bob Katz made a standard with the green, yellow and red lights
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Stuff like coloured faders and the 'Listen' button have been around for ages - certainly haven't arrived with Cubase 7.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Glenn Bucci » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:55 pm

The Elf wrote:Stuff like coloured faders and the 'Listen' button have been around for ages - certainly haven't arrived with Cubase 7.

I was not aware of k scale meters in Cubase 5, nor anything but the greenish type meters. I have to admit, I was not aware of the listen option in Cubase 5. But it is still indeed a great feature.
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:09 pm

I didn't mention the k metering. That *is* new in C7! :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:53 pm

They ever gonna introduce a better colour customisation editor of some sort? Those limited colours are dikin' with my mood...
Zukan

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Glenn Bucci wrote:With this feature, it drops the level of all the tracks except for the one you want to hear. So you can a good perspective on how the track sounds in the mix with it being louder than the rest of the mix.

A feature that has been available in the larger recording consoles for a while now -- often called 'Solo In Front' or similar. It is quite a useful feature, I agree.

Also the improved metering for the output is quite nice especially with the K scale that Bob Katz made a standard with the green, yellow and red lights

It's far from being a 'standard' in the strict international sense, let alone in the worldside user adoption sense.... but at least the increasing prevalence of the K-metering scheme in DAWs and metering plug-ins does help to enforce the concept of headroom to the less technically-inclined DAW user market, and encourage those people to maintain a sensible headroom margins when tracking and mixing.

I would recommend using the K20 scale for normal tracking and mixing as a first preference, reducing to K14 or even K12 if you are using very well controlled sources or virtual instruments (but be prepared to pad down the oiginal samples).

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby mick.n » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:01 pm

The Elf wrote:Stuff like coloured faders and the 'Listen' button have been around for ages - certainly haven't arrived with Cubase 7.

This "Listen" feature is available on Cubase 6.5? Just had a look at the manual & can't find mention of it.

Edit, found it....was looking in the wrong manual. :headbang:
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:45 am

Been using the Curve EQ (Voxengo) for my book and it's not bad at all. Doddle to use and can edit the Spectrum/Response....fun!
Zukan

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:02 am

Great isn't it? In the past I've rarely used the single channel view in Cubase, but that's one good reason now.

It's a pity the EQ controls on the channel strip have been dog's dinner-ed. I used to like the feature back in 5/6 where the controls would become a fader the moment you clicked on them. For quick tweaks that was superb - out with the bath-water though, I'm afraid.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Glenn Bucci » Wed May 29, 2013 4:53 pm

With the latest 7.04 Stenberg has made some nice improvements. An obvious update is the channel strip on the mixer. They increased the size of the knobs so they are now easy to work with.
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster

Postby oggyb » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:45 pm

After reading this thread I went into the mixer (C6) and discovered the little "L" button.

I swear I never saw it before. Must be blind. Also, in the F12 mixer you get to choose which monitoring sections have Listen enabled. ^___^
oggyb
Frequent Poster
Composer;
http://www.ogonline.org

Postby Benjamin Hope » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:04 pm

After some initial problems, I now have C7.05 working rather nicely and think it's great. Coming from C5 I hated it at first and thought it was the spawn of satan but repeated use and diving straight in at the deep end is the only way to overcome those fears of change. There's also a range of very good tutorial vids on YT.

Gradually sussing everything out. However, the only thing I can't work out (and it is a small thing) is how to alter the colour of the waveform in the automation lane.

If anybody knows, be great to find out how/if it can be done.

Ta.
Benjamin Hope
Poster

Postby MarkOne21 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:23 pm

What about Loopmash!? I think it's one of the most powerful vst around. I don't catch why nobody appreciate it..

:headbang:
MarkOne21
Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Thu May 01, 2014 3:44 pm

MarkOne21 wrote:What about Loopmash!? I think it's one of the most powerful vst around. I don't catch why nobody appreciate it..

It is great for weird stuff, but I guess a large number of Cubase users tend to record bands and have no need for it. Even those making dance music might find it a bit off putting to use due to the odd an unpredictable outcomes.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale 

Postby oggyb » Mon May 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Richie Royale wrote:
MarkOne21 wrote:What about Loopmash!? I think it's one of the most powerful vst around. I don't catch why nobody appreciate it..

It is great for weird stuff, but I guess a large number of Cubase users tend to record bands and have no need for it. Even those making dance music might find it a bit off putting to use due to the odd an unpredictable outcomes.

I like it, but haven't worked out how to build up my own kits. Must look into this again.
oggyb
Frequent Poster
Composer;
http://www.ogonline.org

Postby Richie Royale » Tue May 06, 2014 3:05 pm

oggyb wrote:
Richie Royale wrote:

I like it, but haven't worked out how to build up my own kits. Must look into this again.

I used it on one track by importing stems from a previous track and letting Loopmash sort it into something new. It created something unique, but I've not given it much time.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale 

Postby The Elf » Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm

Richie Royale wrote:

It is great for weird stuff, but I guess a large number of Cubase users tend to record bands and have no need for it.
+1

I've no interest in it, and I've never heard anyone involved with any musical genre give it any praise, but it's good to hear that someone likes it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Miodzia » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:42 am

Actually very happy with Cubase 7, I had Pro Tools but something was wrong I couldn't quite use it on my computer, it was complicated too. Maybe my sound card was not good enough. Cubase interface is very easy and I've been using it for ages.
Miodzia