You are here

Cubase 7.5 First Impressions

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Cubase 7.5 First Impressions

Postby The Elf » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Downloaded overnight with no problems.
Installed with no problems.
Running with no problems.

I avoid customisation if at all possible, so there's not much for me to do except import my MIDI Device definitions, let Cubase know about my Remote Devices and tell Cubase where my jBridged 32-bit plugs live. That's all worked fine.

Loaded a V7 Project and that's looking good.

All happiness so far. :D

I'm a bit disappointed that the Instrument Rack makes a differentiation between Intrument Track Instruments and Rack Instruments - I was rather hoping it would be made completely transparent.

Now to take a look at some of the new features...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Cubase 7.5 First Impressions

Postby Scramble » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks Elf, and please let us know if you have any issues. I'm eligible to get it for free, but what I wondered about was whether this is like a whole new version of Cubase, in which case the old wisdom about Steinberg of 'Wait until they've done some bugfixes' might apply, or is just building upon version 7.06 and most of the bugs have already been ironed out previously?
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:11 pm

It's a fair point. I typically didn't used to do any work in anger until I saw a spot release, but the past few versions have given me confidence to move on earlier and earlier.

If I can get through a night or two of fooling around with 7.5, and all remains well, then I'll trust 7.5 for the next major project.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:30 am

So far, so very good. There's a lot to like in here and it all feels very solid. I'm just doing my normal thing and building a mix for a track I'd previously been working on in C7, but already I feel I can commit to this mix in 7.5.

The VST Instrument panel is the only disappointing part of 7.5 for me so far. It's no big deal, but the new implementation looks clumsy, the differentiation and split between Track and Rack Instruments seems silly, and every time I come back to the rack it seems to be pushing Quick Control features at me (which I never use).

Revelation is lovely. Finally a Steinberg algoverb that does the DAW justice. Magneto is very nice too - I like as many saturation options as I can get!

VariAudio is sounding even better, and I thought it was perfected in C7! I'm hearing fewer warbles between short notes, something I generally used to fix by removing all short note segments.

Having the ability to hide tracks from the Project Window is useful. I often track guitars with both amp and DI, so being able to hide the DI track (and the mix I'm working on is one such example) is really welcome.

I still don't like the mixer introduced with C7 and 7.5 does nothing to help me in this respect. I'm constantly having to scroll up and down over and over to find inserts or sends - and often the scroll wheel ends up doing something I didn't intend, such as altering a send level. I'd cheerfully go back to the old mixer with the quick view buttons down the side.

Obviously there are many aspects of C7.5 that I'm not going to be using, so there may well be nasty things lurking in there, but for me so far the overall experience is positive.

If I find anything else of significance I'll report back.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby C.LYDE » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:12 am

The Elf wrote:

I'm a bit disappointed that the Instrument Rack makes a differentiation between Intrument Track Instruments and Rack Instruments - I was rather hoping it would be made completely transparent.

Now to take a look at some of the new features...

I never got all the fuss around Racks x Instrument Tracks. The users (all 8 of them) on the forum banged on, for ever wanting changes.... LOL

What do mean "transparent" ?
Now a midi channel can be routed to either a rack or an instrument channel... which was a 'big' deal for some ... aah well :roll:
C.LYDE
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:48 pm

C.LYDE wrote:
Now a midi channel can be routed to either a rack or an instrument channel... which was a 'big' deal for some ... aah well :roll:

It's not a huge deal. No extra functionality. Just that the Instrument Tracks approach appeared promising, but turned out to be a dead end. Now it isn't.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:38 pm

C.LYDE wrote:
The Elf wrote:I'm a bit disappointed that the Instrument Rack makes a differentiation between Intrument Track Instruments and Rack Instruments - I was rather hoping it would be made completely transparent.

I never got all the fuss around Racks x Instrument Tracks.

In which case you won't understand why it caused other people problems - not major problems, but problems nonethless.

C.LYDE wrote:What do mean "transparent" ?

Why do I now need to know whether an Instrument was created by an Instrument Track, or placed in the Rack directly? I don't care, and I don't need to know, so don't tell me - that's 'transparency'.

C.LYDE wrote:Now a midi channel can be routed to either a rack or an instrument channel... which was a 'big' deal for some

Not a 'big' deal at all, just a minor improvement. Every little helps.

There are far more interesting improvements and changes...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Glenn Bucci » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:10 am

We all have different taste, but I personally like the new mixer in 7. You can jump to any track with a click of a mouse since the tracks are listed on the left. The new Revelation reverb is very good, and I like the new lanes for recording multiple takes. It's the best version of Cubase yet and I am glad the Mackie Controller works very well with it as well. I was able to customize many buttons on it and have found no issues.
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster
revelationsoundstudio.com

Postby oggyb » Mon May 05, 2014 1:24 pm

It's this mixer issue that kept me from upgrading from 6 to 7, and is still keeping me from 7.5

I'm all for improving software with new features and making existing features more discoverable etc., but dramatic workflow changes always stress me out.

--

So, Elf, what's the *real* workflow difference right now between the old instrument tracks and midi/rack and C7.5's semi-opaque hybrid tracks?
oggyb
Frequent Poster
Composer;
http://www.ogonline.org