You are here

Massive Passive...(hardware)

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Massive Passive...(hardware)

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:24 pm

Having lived with the equalizer a year I have written a little review and included a before and after audio clip:

Manley Massive Passive review
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Re: Massive Passive...(hardware)

Postby Urthlupe » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:13 am

Thankyou for that Barry.

I understand it's only a brief outline of the MP, but I was surprised to see no response to Manley's implementation of the bandwidth controls in shelf, which seems to be one of the most unique aspects of the design.

Very helpful to have an audio example BTW.

Regards

Loopy
Urthlupe
Regular

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks...rarely use these extra shelf "shapes" here to be honest, thus far, I am sure I will in good time, it has been a very busy year. It could be handy cutting harshness whist increasing air.

It's a deep eq and I have just got to grips with it on more traditional terms, I am sure it holds further depths than I have yet put into practice.

Manley Massive Passive audio demo
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby Urthlupe » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:17 pm

No criticism intended in any way Barry. Was simply interested to hear how a mastering engineer approached using the MP in comparison to a less 'traditional' role for it in tracking/mixing (which is what I'm more familiar with).

Kindest

Loopy
Urthlupe
Regular

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:19 pm

No probs..

1) Pass through character..adds depth, no question.

2) Broad strokes where this equalizer excels and often just a dab. then again after all I said about the low end a track running through it right now has 4dB of 100Hz shelf !

But this tracks bottom is tight as a duck ar*e so it can take the slightly err... loose big big bottom end and I love the rubbery subby grunt that comes out the other side when shelves work the low end. 8-)

So... whatever it takes.
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby Urthlupe » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks Barry, leaving rubbery subs to one side for a mo....... :bouncy:

As I said I'm more used to tracking and mixing, not the most common role for the MP. When mixing I would often use a number of bands within a single equaliser to tackle quite different jobs, but I find the Manley doesn't let me. A natural consequence of it's parallel architecture (and the passive circuitry you mention in the review) is that the bands 'relate' to each other in a VERY dynamic way and so I find myself using the whole channel as a single 'sculpting' tool. Maybe two slightly different tasks simultaneously per channel at most. I suspect this is one of its characteristics which leans the device naturally toward a mastering role (and which I think the UAD emulation models pretty well). It's often here for me that the 'overshoots' in the shelves come into their own, affording an extra option when necessary.

Thnks again for the review.

Loopy
Urthlupe
Regular

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:46 pm

That make sense to my mind as well. It is why it has taken a year to understand how it interacts and because I have only ever used it mastering mixes I would probably be a little miffed using it to shape a kick drum or a vocal without plenty of practice.

It is very rare that only the MP gets used on a track and typically I use it gently.
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster