You are here

Behringer X32 Rack

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Behringer X32 Rack

Postby Dave Rowles » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:00 pm

I've recently ordered and received the Rack version of the Behringer X32. This unit takes up 3U in a standard rack case, which basically means it's the same as a standard 31 band dual graphic EQ unit such as BSS, Klark, DBX, etc make. It's a bit deeper than a graphic, but still fits fine in the off the shelf rack case that I had for the 2 DBX 1231s that are no longer needed. Just enough space at the back for a standard 6-way power extension with space to plug everything in behind.

I bought this to use with the HK Audio Elements PA. The main focus of this PA when buying was the compactness and lightness, and the X32 delivers in that respect. You can lift it with 1 hand easily, and I'm sure the rack case I put it in nearly doubled the weight! It fits perfectly behind the subs on one side of the PA.

So, we all know the reviews, so here's a few questions I had.

Is it easy to use with iPad control?
Yes. In fact the iPad app is extremely well thought out, and I didn't have any problems finding anything that I needed to alter. Everything you need to get up and running is there, and I didn't find I was hunting around in menus to find anything that I needed. The Fader control was actually a lot better than I was expecting, though you have to be quite accurate with the mute buttons.

Do you need to connect a computer to get access to things?
Not that I could see. I haven't delved into some of the control options, but nothing you need to get running is computer only. If you're going to use the computer app and not the iPad app, then I'd suggest using a mouse with it. I found some of the control fiddly with the trackpad on my MacBook Pro.

Does it sound like it's "Midas Powered"?
No, it does not sound like a Midas Desk. It's very clean, and the sound you can achieve is very good considering the cost of the unit. It doesn't have that sweet Midas Pre-amp sound though.

What are the effects like?
Usable. I had a T.C.Electronic M-One XL on the analogue system it's replacing, and I would say that the M-One is better, especially at some of the reverbs. The Delays are good, and the reverbs are fine, but I found them to be a bit sibilant.

Would you mix more than 16 channels?
If I had to, I could do it. It's not the best way of mixing though, and if it was a critical or complex show you'd be struggling, even without the added hassle of anything actually going wrong. Nothing went wrong on the show I used it on, mainly acoustic instruments and speeches.

How do the effects system work?
If you've ever used an LS9 then its very similar. You have 8 rack spots and you can fill them with whatever you need. I had a Stereo graphic for FOH, then 2 dual graphics for the monitors, and 4 effect units. So I had one rack space left. Unlike the LS9, the dual graphics are full 31 bands. You then route the effects where ever you need them, either aux-effect-output, or insert over an output. You have a parametric over each aux and FOH as well.

Does it have stereo auxes?
I couldn't find a way to link the auxes into a stereo pair. Bit of a let down really, as this is one thing that would be very useful to have.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. The sound was very clear, and it gave me a load more options than the MixWizard it replaces. It's saved me a hell of a load of space in the back of the car I put the PA in, and cut down my set-up time. I always hate running multi-cores…

Feel free to ask questions if you have them!
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Re: Behringer X32 Rack

Postby Dave Rowles » Thu May 15, 2014 5:23 pm

As an addendum to this review, I've found out you can do stereo auxes....I'm now fully satisfied with this mixer :)
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Dave Rowles wrote:As an addendum to this review, I've found out you can do stereo auxes.

Share the technique! If it wasn't obvious to you, it won't be to others. ;)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby DGL. » Tue May 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Dave Rowles wrote:As an addendum to this review, I've found out you can do stereo auxes.

Share the technique! If it wasn't obvious to you, it won't be to others. ;)

H

Don't have an X32 by after looking around the PC software, select the desired bus, then select the config tab from the home screen and click on link. This will then link the channels together (only in odd->even adjoining pairs). Then just choose the outputs you want that mixbus to be assigned to and your done. (i.e. if you had Mixbus 1+2 as a stereo pair you would send (for example) mixbus 1 to output 1 and mixbus 2 to output 2.

Hope it helps.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Tue May 20, 2014 9:58 pm

What he said.

Yeah I was looking for the link button on the routing pages, when it's actually on the mixbus main view channel page.

Once linked, the first mixbus is level, and the second mixbus is pan, so If you're using aux send 1+2 for the stereo, 1 becomes level and 2 pan.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster