You are here

Unity Audio The Rock II monitors

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Unity Audio The Rock II monitors

Postby IvanSC » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:10 pm

I went shopping a few months back, thinking in terms of spending around £1k for a pair of decent nearfields.

My prime candidates were the Neumann 120s and the little AE22 sealed box monitors.
Also in contention were the usual 7X's and the like.

Having auditioned everything on my list, plus several of the Focal offerings, I was persuaded to listen to the Rocks.
BIG mistake.
I had carried my Master Grade copy of Steely Dan's Aja (I know - but I know it inside out) as a known reference point and had gotten a pretty good feel for everything I had auditioned thus far.
But the Rocks had me picking out stuff I had never noticed before. The presentation of detail was stunning.
That said, my initial reaction to them was not entirely positive, because they are SO neutral.
I found myself thinking things like "they are a bit bass light" or "they are a bit middle light" and finally "they are a bit treble light".
And it finally sunk in - these things are just flat, relatively uncoloured and relentlessly honest.

Everyone who has auditioned them in my humble home studio has reacted the same way - initial disappointment that they dont sound more exciting and then the grin as the listener realise just how incredibly clear and articulate these little 5" boxes are.
I have hung on to my elderly Tannoys as a double check if I am mixing anything that needs a lot of bottom end, but find making decisions about what goes where SO much easier with the Rocks.

Anyone working in the EDM genre is going to want a sub to go with these, but for the rest of the world they do an incredible job of telling it "like it is". If you can stand that much honesty you really should give them a listen.

I was fortunate enough to be able to collect mine from the man who brought them to life, as I live just down the road from the factory and have to say the enthusiasm for the products at Unity shone through.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Re: Unity Audio The Rock II monitors

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:16 pm

Yep... Excellent speaker.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Guy Johnson » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:59 am

Is there anywhere within a million miles of West Wales that I can listen to Rock II and Neumann speakers? I could do with some smallish second monitors, client-wise (and I want some new tots too, to be honest).

And, I was wondering at (and am slightly annoyed by) the 'HiFi' version of the Rock II. Which doesn't have useful response graph that the studio version has. so may have a 'HiFi' mid and low high suckout.
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster
This is my few words.

Postby IvanSC » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Sorry to miss this Guy - after a few more months of living with the rocks and my slightly better bass trapping I am still in love, but in a wholly objective way.
The Rock IIs are definitely NOT hi fi in any way.

Sadly I dont know of anyone in Wales who has them but why not drop them an email - even if they can only point you at an existing client who might let you audition that is not so bad, and they MIGHT let you have an evaluation pair for a week or so.

Nice people, on my relatively brief acquaintance with them.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Guy Johnson wrote:Is there anywhere within a million miles of West Wales that I can listen to Rock II and Neumann speakers?

I suspect you're going to need to take a trip to Londinium, or talk very nicely to a London dealer to see if you can get some on loan to try in your own place. KMR is the obvious starting point.

And, I was wondering at (and am slightly annoyed by) the 'HiFi' version of the Rock II. Which doesn't have useful response graph that the studio version has. so may have a 'HiFi' mid and low high suckout.

As far as I'm aware, the 'hifi' model is the same as the original Mk1, but with a polished black corian cabinet instead of the speckled one... and the marketing incorporates some BS about OFC wiring! ;) But I'm sure Kevin at Unity will give you chapter and verse on the differences if you call him up and ask!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound