You are here

Dave Smith's Instruments Prophet 6

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Re: Dave Smith's Instruments Prophet 6

Postby Blott » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Quaver wrote:
The P12 has the play list option,meaning you can save a set of patches for instant recall which is geared for live use rather than trying to scroll to find your specific patches,just simply assign those patches as above so you can switch between the patches that have the specific osc selected by using the soft buttons below the screen,the Pro 2 has this and I find it really useful.

Just a little bit of prethought and housekeeping can overcome some of what you may find omitted on the surface..

Thanks, Yes I know all that but with a synth like the Prophet 12, you shouldn't really have to find a workaround for such a basic task as switching an oscillator on or off IMO - especially when each oscillator already has a selection button.
It's just a button press on the Studiologic Sledge and it's a shame it isn't the same on the P12, as it makes building patches and deconstructing existing ones much easier.
Applying one oscillator to a patch and then swapping patches as you suggest isn't a satisfactory alternative for obvious reasons. You can't for example sync oscillators when they are in separate patches.
However Dave Smith seem to be pretty good at listening to their users and have done 4 firmware updates so far for the P12, all of which have addressed bugs and improved functionality, so there's still a hope that this shortcoming could be addressed in a future update. :)
Blott
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/blottuk
http://blottuk.bandcamp.com

Postby forumuser793939 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:44 pm

The Elf wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:The P6 excels at bass and lead sounds. I was surprised that it didn't seem to lend itself quite as well to pads.
This comment really stuck out to me, and I know exactly what you mean. I have always thought the same about the Prophet 5 and it's why I never bought one. I absolutely love my Pro-One, which has some of the best bass and lead sounds I've ever found, but I don't need a polysynth for that.

When I've been in the market (as now, actually) for an analogue polysynth I am looking for something that will give me those lush detuned saw pads. What your review suggests is that I will probably be equally as disappointed with the P6 as the P5.

It almost seems to be a mutual exclusivity. My favourite pads synths are generally poor at bass/lead. One of my favourite pad synths is the Oberheim Xpander. I wonder how I'll feel and the Prophet/Oberheim hybrid...

Was in similar position for a while, had a Prophet 6 but sold it. Had a prophet 08 but sold it (didn't like the filter at all). And the OB-6 was too expensive for a synth that kind of only excels at that type of sound (not chameleon like enough, the Prophet is better there but still not great with pads).

I found the best of all worlds in the oft-overlooked Roland JD-XA. It's now my best pads machine by far (it has an oberheim 12db analog filter you can use) and you can of course layer analog with digital for pads that will destroy any pure analog (and yet still sound analog-warm due to the real analog). Also it's a bass/lead monster, it's not slouch up against my moogs (it also has a Moog style filter!) and can layer upto 4 analog synths/8 oscs/4 filters.

You also have bandpass and highpass analog filters and lots more modulation than the P6/Ob-6 (2+ LFOS for a start).

The DCOs and especially the filters sound rich and warm, I've heard sounds done on the OB-6 and copied on the JD-XA and the JD-XA sounded just as good or better (See youtube). Bass wise it easily destroys both the OB-6 and Prophet 6 and for pads its the new pads king. It has none of the drawbacks of the expensive DSI VCO synths either (i.e it has very good patch/bank selection, an LCD screen for naming/deeper functions, proper full MIDI of seq/arp out, 2/3 LFOs, solid pots not wonky etc)

It's only downside is 4 analog poly but in practice it's not an issue, as you said, for bass/leads you don't even need a poly so 4 or mono mode with 8 oscs is great! and for pads you can layer it with the digital and it sounds analog still (as pads always tend to anyway not much in it between analog/digital unlike bass and leads), and for polyphonic sequences, PWM, and jupiter style stuff 4 notes has never been an issue ( you don't hear any note stealing esp with a touch of delay/verb).

Unbelievable value and very overlooked by some yet to me it sounded better and did way more than any DSI.
forumuser793939
New here

Postby Blott » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:50 am

forumuser793939 wrote:Unbelievable value and very overlooked by some yet to me it sounded better and did way more than any DSI.

I love Roland sounds, especially their strings - I agree with you that they are probably the best around.

The main problem with Roland's recent offerings is the almost illegible UI and their build quality.

That horrible red on glossy black legend of the JDXA is almost impossible to read in many situations and I hate struggling to read what parameter I'm editing, so for that reason alone (as they say on Dragons Den)...I'm out! :)

I see that Roland have issued an overlay skin with a matt surface and white legend for the JDXA which substantially improves things, but the fact that they had to do this shows how wrong they got it to begin with.
Here's a video of the new skin...
https://youtu.be/Q1IAZTPXOrE

The recently announced DSI Rev2 looks much better value than a JDXA IMO, so that'll probably be my next hardware synth.

Roland are the most frustrating manufacturer of them all, as they do have excellent sounds but they choose to house them in either difficult to read instruments like the fa06, fa08, or JDXA.

The beautifully built Jupiter 80 was hard to edit due to the masses of menu diving that had to be done - 4 knobs and 4 sliders on a beast of a synth engine like that was a crime. :(

And patch management was like something from the 1980's - truly awful.

Same goes for the otherwise excellent Integra 7 module - just poorly implemented and ultimately frustrating to use.

Dave Smith definitely seem to have the others licked when it comes to UI IMO and the build quality is of a very high standard too - they just feel like and sound like a top class synth.

If Roland would go back to building quality synths like they did up until the mid 90's and would work to improve their UI and patch management then I'd be back in a shot.

I've owned an Fa-06, Integra 7 and a Jupiter 80 and all have been sold again due to their shortcomings, so I don't see that happening any time soon. :(

All my current Roland gear is all pre 2001.

I think the Behringer Deepmind 12 will make Roland and others bring out better synths - it's definitely the reason the Rev 2 was announced IMO.

Competition like that is always good for us end users and I look forward to seeing how the others respond.

Dave Smith's answer was pretty good, lets hope the others are too. :)
Blott
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/blottuk
http://blottuk.bandcamp.com

Previous