You are here

Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby VTypeV4 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:04 am

I see lots of arguments on FB on any number of audio pages by 'professional' users (keyboard warriors more like!) suggesting how terrible the sonic quality of even some quite well respected consoles. Typically , the most common subjects are X32 / M32, A&H Qu, Yamaha M7 / Ls9 etc..

Personally, if someone can't get a decent mix out of the above - let alone anything older - then maybe they're in the wrong trade? Ha. :headbang:

I'll stick with my 02Rs - some of my best work has been done with them. :thumbup:
VTypeV4
Regular

Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup
Equipped with Yamaha, A&H, JBL, Sony, TC Electronic, DBX and MOTU.

Postby VTypeV4 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:10 am

Baily, I'll have a look at one of my 02Rs tomorrow if you're still struggling. :thumbup:
VTypeV4
Regular

Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:38 am

While the 02R was not one of them the mag did a comparison of various mic preamps which suggested that pretty much any decent pre is capable of delivering 'release quality' results. No reason to think the 02R preamps should not do so. Once it's past the ADC then it's just numbers........

I have an X32 Compact in the studio and I know it is me not the mic preamps if I fail to deliver.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Baily » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:39 am

VTypeV4 wrote:Baily, I'll have a look at one of my 02Rs tomorrow if you're still struggling. :thumbup:

Hi my friend
You are my life line to the 02 R :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Baily
New here

Postby VTypeV4 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:11 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
I have an X32 Compact in the studio and I know it is me not the mic preamps if I fail to deliver.

It's a shame not everyone sees it like this but yes, I very much feel the same with my Yamahas and A&H.. :thumbup:

Baily wrote:
VTypeV4 wrote:Baily, I'll have a look at one of my 02Rs tomorrow if you're still struggling. :thumbup:

Hi my friend
You are my life line to the 02 R :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

All good man, we'll try to get you sorted! :ugeek:
VTypeV4
Regular

Postby VTypeV4 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:16 am

Baily, did you manage to get it configured or are you still having difficulty? :SOS:
VTypeV4
Regular

Postby Baily » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:48 pm

VTypeV4 wrote:Baily, did you manage to get it configured or are you still having difficulty? :SOS:
Can you send my a PB, then I can show the picture of this mixer (who makes me feel dumb)
Baily
New here

Postby VTypeV4 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:59 pm

You can although I seem to have difficulty with the PM thing on here - alternatively email me with pictures? Either or both is fine..
VTypeV4
Regular

Postby VTypeV4 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:42 pm

There's some more Unity Cards back in service now - brilliant. :SOS:
VTypeV4
Regular

Postby hinnerker » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:16 am

Hello, i am a newbie with the O2R and TC UnitY Cards.

I have the same problem regarding a UnitY card which tells me after installation that there is no valid software found on TC UnitY card in slot 4.

Is there any solution how to bring the M2000 software back on the card?
On my second TC UnitY Card running the Finalizer software everything works fine.

From the buy of the TC UnitY Card, the seller send me 2 Sets of O2R Software eproms (2.03 and 2.15) together with 2 disquettes (Mac and PC Version) of a software together with a Programm and a unity 211.wiz - file.

Is this the software i have to upload to the card via the RS232 to 8pin Mini Din (to host) male connector between PC and O2R?

Can anyone tell me, what exactly happend if i upload this Unity211.wiz file to the slot where the card is installed?

Do i need further things?

Thanks for your help

Regards
Hinnerker
hinnerker
New here

Postby VTypeV4 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:11 am

Hi, Hinnerker..

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare!

I would question whether the 02R operating system is up to date enough - version 2.16 is the latest - but the fact you have an existing card that is working correctly suggests this isn't a problem. It might be worth upgrading to 2.16 anyways as the last set I bought were very cheap from eBay..

As for the Unity software, version 2.12 is the most up to date with most of the bugs ironed out.

I don't know if the disks you have are to re-flash the Unity card but I have the files to send you if they're not. I have never successfully re-flashed a card but I know others that have replied here, have.

I'm sorry that's a bit vague but hopefully one of the other members will be able to help you.

Personally, I'd pull my 'known good' card out and run the .wiz file into the new card and see if that changes anything - seems unlikely that you could make it any worse.

Best of luck. :thumbup:
VTypeV4
Regular

Postby hinnerker » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:30 pm

Thanks for your reply.

The ROM Version of the Yamaha is V2.15 which was delivered with my Finalizer Card, so i think, that would be O.K. in terms of OS actuallity for the TC Card.

The card itself was recognized installed on SLOT 4 and i can see the card is correct established, but he told me on the main page, that the desk didnt find a valid software on UnitY card in Slot 4. Please upload valid software. This message was reported in the window, where you normally has an overview about the stored programms.

The cursor is caged and you can only reach the points "Remote1", "Remote2", "Remote2" and "Remote4". With the dial wheel you can only choose another controller... thats it.

I have the Upload programm started an there is a possibility to choose the COM Port (default is Com1) and you have to choose the SLOT in the Yamaha desk, where the card was established.

After that, he is asking for the Location of the .wiz file... imho this should the software the programm wants to upload to the card.

I also did a file reading of the .wiz file with a simple "Windows Notepad" - Editor and it seems to me, that this is the programm code itself to upload to the TC Card. in the right SLOT.

On file reading i could see - between the whole cryptical code fragments, some ASCII - Signs which represent the Titels of the default M2000 programm places 1-40.
For example "Living Room", Steel Plate, Gold Plate, Rich Plate and so on.

So i think, that this WIZ file is really the programm code itself.

I have to solder a serial "to host" cable to connect PC and Yamaha desk or are there any ready to go cables available?

If i can upload the Software in the .wiz file to the card, what would be the next step regarding licensing or would the card work again for the 100 Hour free trial Period?

Is tere anything else i have to consider?

Regards and thanks again for the reply.

Hinnerker
hinnerker
New here

Postby VTypeV4 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:36 pm

Well all that sounds very comprehensive and in order - everything seems right at least..

As for licenses and codes etc, I'd get the card in demo mode first then you at least know the card is good before investing time in the next step.

I can see no reason why you'd make things any worse by uploading the software - your card doesn't seem to currently work and re-flashing it may well bring it back to life. I say go for it and see how you go. :thumbup:
VTypeV4
Regular

Postby hinnerker » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:54 pm

Thanks for the kind words... :thumbup:

I only do use the desk and the cards together with my Motu devices 24 ocassionally.
Years ago i was a "live engineer" with old analog mixing desk like the Midas PRO 4.
The Motu devices are for live recording (Motu 24 i/o) with Steinberg Nuendo. So during the last years i did some live recordings for some bands and the concerts are on my HD. Some of them are mixdown, others not.

After nearly 25 years absence from "live business" with the analogue desks i decided some weeks ago to buy an old Yamaha O2R to find out, if my intellectual skills would be enough to understand the first digital desk... :lol:
I ended doing "live business" in 1995, so its near, to buy this 25 Year old desk which was the first one after i finished the business...

So i hope, i will bring the card to live again. I am waiting for the connectors to make the serial cable between PC and Yamaha O2R and will report the further details here in your Yamaha O2R - topic.

Regards
Henry
hinnerker
New here

Postby hinnerker » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:49 pm

Perfect... after soldering the serial RS232 to Mini DIN 8 pin cable, the disc with the upload software did the job. Connection established between COM 1 and SLOT 4 of the desk, the .wiz file with the Software Version 2.11 could be uploaded and now the card is working again.
Seemed the card runs in demo mode again, because both engines are working and i can recall all presets from M2000 as well as the Finalizer programms.

Have routed the card with AUX 1&2 as inputs and Outputs directly to St LR.

Does anyone know, what is going to happen, if the 100 hour demo mode time finished?

Is there any solution to activate both card engines with a License code from somewhere.
As far as i know TC Electronics doesnt support this cards since years.

The member "BME" from this forum wrote that he was working on a solution... is there any solution from him, or stopped he his development ?

Regards
Henry
hinnerker
New here

PreviousNext