You are here

Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby Kwackman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:27 am

Wintersun Project wrote: its been panned for years for god knows why

I must be hanging out in the wrong forums, because I don't see much criticism of the old 02R, apart from occasional comments about the quality of the mic pre-amps, which to be honest, I probably couldn't hear anyway!

I was so lucky to have used one of these things shortly after they came out.
£7K for a digital desk with so many facilities, including moving faders was a very cheap digital desk.
In those days this was a big game changer, as the trendies now say!

We used one daily in a post production facility, where it was used 7 days a week and most of those days were more than 8 hours.
We initially looked on it as a new toy because of it's price.
But it quickly became my favourite desk because it was so reliable - we worked it VERY hard -and it was very flexible in terms of routing, sync abilities, auto mix facilities, build in FX, the ability to save desk set-ups, mixes etc via MIDI, etc. etc.
The OS did take a little getting used to, but once you cracked it, it was easy. We had another system costing much, much more than the Yamaha. The "little" Yamaha showed it up so often!
After 9 years of hard service, we changed the gear in our rooms, and the natural choice was another Yamaha, this time an 02R96, and a DM2000. The old 02R was sold on, still working perfectly.

I was working with it one night, recording an auto mix, when the power cut for a few seconds.
The desk rebooted, and when it came "on line" again, it was still syncing against timecode and hadn't lost my mix up to that point. Amazing piece of kit.
User avatar
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1529
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:42 am

Kwackman wrote:We used one daily in a post production facility, where it was used 7 days a week and most of those days were more than 8 hours. We initially looked on it as a new toy because of it's price. But it quickly became my favourite desk because it was so reliable

I went to a regional ITV broadcast station many years back when I was editing a broadcast audio magazine to write an article about the AMS Neve Libra digital console which was still a fairly new and shiny thing. Everyone was singing the praises of this fabulous desk and it was all going well... and then I spied an original O2R on a trolley hiding under the side desk.

So I asked about it, assuming it was used as an expansion mixer for some big show, only to be told I couldn't mention it at all, or show it in the photos...

It turned out that all the inputs to the Libra had been duplicated to the O2R, and there was a big red button at the side of the desk that flipped the outputs feeding the distribution chains from the Libra to the O2R. Apparently, the Libra was so unreliable (at that time), and it fell off the air so regularly, that they broadcast using the little Yamaha quite frequently! And it never let them down, ever...

:lol:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 26276
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby Kwackman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Apparently, the Libra was so unreliable (at that time), and it fell off the air so regularly, that they broadcast using the little Yamaha quite frequently! And it never let them down, ever...

:lol:

Brilliant! :bouncy:

Kwackman wrote: We had another system costing much, much more than the Yamaha. The "little" Yamaha showed it up so often!
Coincidence - our other system was also an AMS, the Logic with built in AMS AudioFile.
User avatar
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1529
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby Wintersun Project » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Its such an amazing mixer, i think the whacking its had has come from people getting frustrated with the operating system because its certainly not because of any sonic reasons, I've had some amazing gear over the past 30 years and put this right up there with the very best.
The story about the AMS libra is brilliant, just shows how good o2r's must be if they ended up side carring the Neve with it in case of any dramas, awesome.. actually.
User avatar
Wintersun Project
Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 1999 1:00 am

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby Wintersun Project » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:06 pm

I hope everyones having a good seasonal break out there,
in the middle of a few days off and a few days in the studio, i have a question for the more knowledgable of you out there using o2r's in the real world.

I have a good condition 02r with TC Unity card on board, a couple of standard yamaha adat cards and TDIF cards, and i also have an UAD apollo rack.

At the moment im using the UAD adat ports to and from the o2r via the 24bit adat ports on the Unity card.
What i wanted to know is peoples opinions on the best way to use all this together and get the best out of the mixer as the centre piece ?
I absolutely love the eq and the unity effects so im sticking with my o2r.

Basically I would like to use the mixer to route everything through it including the Apollo but im worried that there will be a drop in sound quality if i use the monitor outs of the o2r to my focal monitor speakers as opposed to going straight from my UAD monitor outs straight to the focals.

The other thing i wanted to ask was peoples opinions of the mic pre's analog ins on the o2r desk itself or whether its best looking for some kind of external MIC/PRE > TDIF interface for the AD conversion. Im trying to get the best out of my gear basically, and could do with a few pointers from people on here who know best.

thanks in advance
User avatar
Wintersun Project
Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 1999 1:00 am

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby Peli » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:32 pm

I would like to find out if Digi001 is compatible with 03r/02r mixing console(as a controller)
cause I am thinkin about gettin a triton,mo'phat module,emu sampler and a couple of fourisite voice & masterin modules and a professinal mics..will be used for hiphop, R&b and soul music...will this work out and if anyone has some suggests...will the sound quality be of a professional standard..want other equipment do i need to make this work...help please
Peli
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby OneWorld » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Kwackman wrote:
Wintersun Project wrote: its been panned for years for god knows why

I must be hanging out in the wrong forums, because I don't see much criticism of the old 02R, apart from occasional comments about the quality of the mic pre-amps, which to be honest, I probably couldn't hear anyway!

I was so lucky to have used one of these things shortly after they came out.
£7K for a digital desk with so many facilities, including moving faders was a very cheap digital desk.
In those days this was a big game changer, as the trendies now say!

We used one daily in a post production facility, where it was used 7 days a week and most of those days were more than 8 hours.
We initially looked on it as a new toy because of it's price.
But it quickly became my favourite desk because it was so reliable - we worked it VERY hard -and it was very flexible in terms of routing, sync abilities, auto mix facilities, build in FX, the ability to save desk set-ups, mixes etc via MIDI, etc. etc.
The OS did take a little getting used to, but once you cracked it, it was easy. We had another system costing much, much more than the Yamaha. The "little" Yamaha showed it up so often!
After 9 years of hard service, we changed the gear in our rooms, and the natural choice was another Yamaha, this time an 02R96, and a DM2000. The old 02R was sold on, still working perfectly.

I was working with it one night, recording an auto mix, when the power cut for a few seconds.
The desk rebooted, and when it came "on line" again, it was still syncing against timecode and hadn't lost my mix up to that point. Amazing piece of kit.

I recently passed up the chance of buying an good condition 02r96, came with meter bridge, 1 MY16-ADAT card, 1 MY8 ADAT card, Waves 96 card and 1 MLAN card - all for £700!!!

I just didn't have the room for it. I sold one about 6 months ago but still have fond memories of it
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2715
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby VTypeV4 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:15 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Kwackman wrote:We used one daily in a post production facility, where it was used 7 days a week and most of those days were more than 8 hours. We initially looked on it as a new toy because of it's price. But it quickly became my favourite desk because it was so reliable

I went to a regional ITV broadcast station many years back when I was editing a broadcast audio magazine to write an article about the AMS Neve Libra digital console which was still a fairly new and shiny thing. Everyone was singing the praises of this fabulous desk and it was all going well... and then I spied an original O2R on a trolley hiding under the side desk.

So I asked about it, assuming it was used as an expansion mixer for some big show, only to be told I couldn't mention it at all, or show it in the photos...

It turned out that all the inputs to the Libra had been duplicated to the O2R, and there was a big red button at the side of the desk that flipped the outputs feeding the distribution chains from the Libra to the O2R. Apparently, the Libra was so unreliable (at that time), and it fell off the air so regularly, that they broadcast using the little Yamaha quite frequently! And it never let them down, ever...

:lol:

One of mine is an ex-ITV out of Birmingham - I have a friend who works there - wonder if it was the same one?
User avatar
VTypeV4
Regular
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:34 am
Location: Newcastle Under Lyme

Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup
Equipped with Yamaha, A&H, JBL, Sony, TC Electronic, DBX and MOTU.


Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby VTypeV4 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Wintersun Project wrote:I hope everyones having a good seasonal break out there,
in the middle of a few days off and a few days in the studio, i have a question for the more knowledgable of you out there using o2r's in the real world.

The other thing i wanted to ask was peoples opinions of the mic pre's analog ins on the o2r desk itself or whether its best looking for some kind of external MIC/PRE > TDIF interface for the AD conversion. Im trying to get the best out of my gear basically, and could do with a few pointers from people on here who know best.

thanks in advance

I have personally never taken issue with the mic preamplifiers in my 02R consoles. They are neutral and don't really offer any colour or character but are perfectly serviceable and I personally can't hear any flaws or shortcomings. I don't feel there's any advantage to running them 'hot' either, I run mine reasonably cool at around -15dBFS.

Regarding alternative mic-pre units, the only one I can think of to TDIF out would be the old Soundcraft one for use with their old range 324/328/328XD consoles.

https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/ ... -interface

I have used these but only in conjunction with the 328XD console so can't comment on the individual characteristics of the pre-amp itself. They're old now but I have nearly always been happy with the sound of Soundcraft equipment - I even had many a good gig out of the lower range Spirit mixers.
User avatar
VTypeV4
Regular
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:34 am
Location: Newcastle Under Lyme

Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup
Equipped with Yamaha, A&H, JBL, Sony, TC Electronic, DBX and MOTU.


Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby Wintersun Project » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:28 am

Thanks for the reply,
I'm probably asking a bit too much of the old o2r, i note that using it in the 24 bit internal mode hammers the channels by half, im really confused how to use them in 24 bit mode.
The deal is this:

I have 3 TDIF cards, and a UNITY with a TDIF/ADAT port on it.
My hope was to be able to use 32 digital channels at 24 bit via the TDIF and adat.
SILLY ME !

Anyway, im now getting my head round the idea that i can only realistically only use 16 channels at TRUE 24 bit.
Im under the impression i need to use the slots in a specific order too in order achieve this as well.. so it's all becoming a bit heady :roll:

HELP !
User avatar
Wintersun Project
Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 1999 1:00 am

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:06 am

Wintersun Project wrote:I note that using it in the 24 bit internal mode hammers the channels by half...

It's been a long time since I poked around an original O2R, and I'd forgotten about that limitation which was basically down to the prevalence of 16-bit digital tape formats of the day, which meant that to record 24bit word lengths on those machines you had to use bespoke re-formatting arrangements that split off the lowest 8 bits from some channels, and then dump them into other channels (and recombine them on replay, of course).

However, the desk itself supports 24-bit wordlengths internally, and although I can't specifically remember, it may be possible to work with 24-bit I/O using the original AES cards rather than the TDIF and ADAT ones (if you can find any). It may also be the case that the later console firmware updates allowed 24-bits via the later ADAT cards... But I'm probably getting confused with the O2R96 and the mini-interface cards.

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 26276
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby Wintersun Project » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:32 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Wintersun Project wrote:I note that using it in the 24 bit internal mode hammers the channels by half...

It's been a long time since I poked around an original O2R, and I'd forgotten about that limitation which was basically down to the prevalence of 16-bit digital tape formats of the day, which meant that to record 24bit word lengths on those machines you had to use bespoke re-formatting arrangements that split off the lowest 8 bits from some channels, and then dump them into other channels (and recombine them on replay, of course).

However, the desk itself supports 24-bit wordlengths internally, and although I can't specifically remember, it may be possible to work with 24-bit I/O using the original AES cards rather than the TDIF and ADAT ones (if you can find any). It may also be the case that the later console firmware updates allowed 24-bits via the later ADAT cards... But I'm probably getting confused with the O2R96 and the mini-interface cards.

H


Thanks for getting back Hugh,
im stuck in a really confusing scenario here at the moment.
I have analog In going through the analog MIC inputs of the o2r.
and im then bussing the analog capture back out of the o2r via TDIF using the 24 bit recording mode switched on in SCENE page 5/5
Im bussing out the capture out on 2 channels at 24 bit out of my TDIF o2r card in SLOT 1 to a TASCAM IF-TAD TDIF-1 to ADAT convertor, this is then moving the data through from the o2r and onto my Apollo UAD Quad through its Optical inputs back into my DAW.

This actually works apart from the fact it brings in a 2 rogue channels of HISS on ADAT channels 5 and 6, which I have to mute in order to get clean audio.

Further to this, to get completely clean audio, I have to disable 24 bit recording on the o2r where the x2 noisy rogue channels of ADAT 5 & 6 vanish..
But I fear im in the 16bit domain in this arrangement ?

So it looks like the only way I can get 24 bit out of my console is to not bother and have it it in 16 bit..

Im totally bamboozled. ive got to say..

Am I going to be stuck in the 16bit world forever ?
Im at a bit of a loss here at the moment, im praying that someone knows what to do.

Kind Regards

Chris
User avatar
Wintersun Project
Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 1999 1:00 am

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:03 pm

I'm wondering if the TDIF to ADAT convertor might be the problem? The manual seems fairly vague about how many bits it passes from the TDIF connector to the ADAT interface although, going the other way, it doesn't appear possible to work at more than 16 bits.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 8872
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby Wintersun Project » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:19 pm

James Perrett wrote:I'm wondering if the TDIF to ADAT convertor might be the problem? The manual seems fairly vague about how many bits it passes from the TDIF connector to the ADAT interface although, going the other way, it doesn't appear possible to work at more than 16 bits.

Indeed your right, ADAT is a real step down in and out of the o2R unless your using the TC Unity which is supposed to provide 24 bit with the ADAT and TDIF connector.
Or unless you halve your channel count and activate the 24bit recording mode, I've no idea how this works apart from Yamaha splitting the signal up and recombining it at the other end, how that works i have no idea whatsoever. It certainly doesn't work for me, i end up with the loose extra BITs on two separate channels coming out as whitenoise

However been doing some investigating with all this tonight..

I believe the convertor will convert like for like BITs, so if 24 bit is coming from the TDIF card then 24 bit will pass through the ADAT optical.

I think ADAT is where the blurred lines come, because looking at the TDIF situation
i seem to be getting 24bit in and out through it without any audio artifacts
and the quality of the signal looks to be bonafide 24bit in steinberg wavelab, this appears to be working by making sure your NOT in 24 bit recording mode, but i might be mistaken, what i do know is the sound quality sounds really good when the 24bit recording mode is off via TDIF.
Im thinking at this stage the splitting the ADAT channel in two to achieve 24 bit over light pipe might just be for ADAT optical, whereas the TDIF appears to be operating in 24bit to and from the o2r at the correct rate regardless of the recording mode setting.

I would love some verification with this though.
User avatar
Wintersun Project
Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 1999 1:00 am

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:13 am

The 'white noise' channels will be the displaced 8-bit chunks from the first four channels, and yes, I'm sure your tdif to adat converter passes the bits across accurately, but in 16-bit channels. Your problem is that, whereas your 02R knows about this legacy 16/24 bit mangling mode, and how to join the channels back together to make 24-bit words, your DAW doesn't. So you're left with four undithered 16-bit channels and a bunch of useless data on the other channels.

So basically I don't think you're going to get usable 24-bit I/O between the O2R and your DAW via the standard TDIF card / adat converter and the O2R's 24-bit mode. I think your best bet is to stick to 16-bit interfacing and work a little more cautiously with slightly less headroom than you could in a 24-bit environment. You'll still have in excess of 90dB dynamic range to play with, though, which is considerably more than all those hundreds of hit records before the late 1990s! And plenty of good recordings have been made on legacy 16-bit formats.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 26276
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

PreviousNext