You are here

Zoom F4

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Re: Zoom F4

Postby Wonks » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:17 am

Maybe it's intentional? If you link two channels for 'stereo' mode, then surely the pan controls will be linked (though presumably functioning as a balance control)?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:58 am

Haven't yet had time to experiment, but spent a few minutes with the manual yesterday evening...

The 'Stereo Link' mode seems to be designed to link the channels to produce one dual channel file from the two linked channels.

If you have the trims/gains linked then the two-channels of the dual-channel file will be at identical gain-settings.

When you download, you'll get the equivalent of:

1+2 in a combined file
5+6 in a combined file (ALWAYS 'stereo linked')

Are you trying to create a recorded stereo mix within the recorder? I never do that, but if you are, I think you want 'trim link' only (not 'stereo link') and set up the pans individually for each channel.

The term 'stereo linked' is somewhat of a misnomer I think. When not using MS mode all that's happening is that the two inputs are combined into one two-channel track. No panning is applied at that point.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke Highdriver » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:
Luke Highdriver wrote:Hi,

Stereo linked channels pan question... Driving me nuts!

When I link channels (non-MS mode) it links the faders as expected, but also their pans, ie, I pan one channel hard over, and the other channel's pan follows it! Not good.

Am I missing something? Emailed Zoom who never replied... I'm running v3 firmware. Ambisonics mode off.

Thanks,

Luke

Just noticed this... Later on (may be a day or two) I'll do some investigating as I'm doing various forms of linking virtually every time I use the F4. Watch this space! :)

Thanks Mike. Love the F4- unlinked pans would be the icing on the cake.
Luke Highdriver
Poster

Postby Luke Highdriver » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:44 am

Wonks wrote:Maybe it's intentional? If you link two channels for 'stereo' mode, then surely the pan controls will be linked (though presumably functioning as a balance control)?
Thanks Wonks- yes that's a possibility. A niche feature if so... I will try it.
Luke Highdriver
Poster

Postby Luke Highdriver » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:58 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Haven't yet had time to experiment, but spent a few minutes with the manual yesterday evening...

The 'Stereo Link' mode seems to be designed to link the channels to produce one dual channel file from the two linked channels.

If you have the trims/gains linked then the two-channels of the dual-channel file will be at identical gain-settings.

1+2 in a combined file

Are you trying to create a recorded stereo mix within the recorder? I never do that, but if you are, I think you want 'trim link' only (not 'stereo link') and set up the pans individually for each channel.

The term 'stereo linked' is somewhat of a misnomer I think. When not using MS mode all that's happening is that the two inputs are combined into one two-channel track. No panning is applied at that point.

Thanks Mike- I need to look into this again. At least I wasn't missing anything!

Yes I do sometimes record my mix as well as the iso tracks, so I suppose the quickest way to do what I need to do is to link the trims, engage channel link to set level, then disengage to pan hard L+R... Bit of a faff but if that's the way then fair enough.

Maybe the interleaved file that you get in stereo linked mode does follow the fader as a stereo balance control as mentioned by wonks. Will check that out also.

Thanks again.
Luke Highdriver
Poster

Postby Luke Highdriver » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:48 am

Luke Highdriver wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Haven't yet had time to experiment, but spent a few minutes with the manual yesterday evening...

1+2 in a combined file

Thanks Mike- I need to look into this again. At least I wasn't missing anything!

Yes I do sometimes record my mix as well as the iso tracks, so I suppose the quickest way to do what I need to do is to link the trims, engage channel link to set level, then disengage to pan hard L+R... Bit of a faff but if that's the way then fair enough.

Maybe the interleaved file that you get in stereo linked mode does follow the fader as a stereo balance control as mentioned by wonks. Will check that out also.

Thanks again.

OK.

When you link (stereo mode, channels centre-panned) you get the following:

An interleaved stereo file for the iso'd linked channels pre-pan (ie, hard left and right).

An interleaved stereo file for L+R mix post-pan. The pan acts not as a balance control, and is effectively redundant as channel panning to either side attenuates the opposite channel to the L+R track.

Thanks for looking into this.
Luke Highdriver
Poster

Previous