You are here

ART HeadAmp 4

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

ART HeadAmp 4

Postby garrettendi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:50 am

Just thought I'd give some feedback on this one.

I've heard a lot about these having poor quality or not dealing with loud bands well, but I've used mine for the first time on Saturday and couldn't be happier. My punk band do play loud, and while I can't speak for the bassist, I myself had no issues. Sound quality was perfect, and easily loud enough when set to around 11 o'clock.

So why do these things seem to get a bit of a slating?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Re: ART HeadAmp 4

Postby garrettendi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:52 am

In the end, I'm definitely a convert to Art Pro Audio. Looking to get one of their DI Boxes sometime too
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:17 am

ART is an American company that has its products built in China to keep the costs down.

It's not the most sophisticated stuff in the world, but in general I've found every ART device I've used has worked extremely well and with remarkably good quality for the price.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby wdsteele » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 am

I used to use their Art Tube Pac , a 1/2 rack tube compressor and preamp and also their semi-parametric eq which was designed as an add on to this - upgraded many years ago now , but really regret selling those , very good on vocals and bass.

Reviewed in SOS at the time I believe.
wdsteele
Regular

Postby garrettendi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:31 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:ART is an American company that has its products built in China to keep the costs down.

It's not the most sophisticated stuff in the world, but in generally I've found every ART device I've used has worked extremely well and with remarkably good quality for the price.

I was wondering how they kept the costs so low. My HeadAmp cost £55. The only thing cheaper was Behringer and ART do seem a cut above Behringer.

Now I know it's Chinese-manufactured that explains a lot. Even so, probably 75% of all the electronics I own is made in China, it's impossible to avoid, and to be honest these days Chinese manufacture does not mean poor manufacture.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:41 am

Though it often means they use some 2nd rate components. Then again, you pay for what you get and although it may end up failing a bit sooner than a much more expensive model, the replacement cost is still fairly negligible.

In a live situation, you are only looking for acceptable audio quality father than worrying about all the little nuances that more expensive headphone amps can bring out, and at £55, you can buy a lot of replacements compared to a £400 or even £1000 top-quality product.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:44 am

garrettendi wrote:Even so, probably 75% of all the electronics I own is made in China, it's impossible to avoid, and to be honest these days Chinese manufacture does not mean poor manufacture.

There are both extremely good professional Chinese manufacturing plants using premium components, and a few shockingly bad ones using sub-standard components -- although the latter seem to be phasing out.

As you say, most Western 'manufacturing' companies now have at least some of their products manufactured somewhere in the Far East, and many even set up and supervise the factories to ensure good quality control, so most of it is very good.

In general, I don't see the phrase 'Chinese-made' as a derogatory term anymore. ;-)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby garrettendi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 am

This is the thing with me... I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but unless you're taking something to a "professional" level, I'm a great believer in the power and capabilities of budget buys.

So for instance, I'd rather buy the best Squier than the mid-range Fender, and I love buying used or budget brand guitar effects pedals. I swear by my Biyang Medal End King which despite being dirt cheap is one of the best distortion pedal I've ever heard.

That was my reasoning with the ART HeadAmp. Sure I could have spent £400+ on something the professionals use, but for what I want, at the amateur level I am, it seemed a no-brainer.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:In general, I don't see the phrase 'Chinese-made' as a derogatory term anymore. ;-)

Neither do I!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster