You are here

Telefunken M80 M81 & M82 microphone test

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Telefunken M80 M81 & M82 microphone test

Postby Glenn Bucci » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:36 am

I tested the Telefunken M80 an M81 microphones on a Fender Twin and Mesa Boogie Express amps, both clean and distortion through a Les Paul and Neve Portico pre. Both microphones sounded great on guitar amps.

The M80 has a little more top end and sometimes it was a better choice. The 81 sounds just as good just tuned a little different with slightly less top end. For those who like the SM 57 type of mic, I would go with the M81. The main difference between it and the SM57 and even the Audix I5 is the Telefunken has a more open sound while the other two mics have a more closed in sound. Soloed the Telefunken blew away the other two mics. It provides a more accurate representation of your guitar amps.

When tracking you can work on proper mic placement which works like an EQ and in a mix, you can adjust EQ to get closer to what you want on any of the mic's. With that being said I am very impressed with both the M80 and M81 microphones and I preferred them over the Sm 57 every time and most of the time on the Audix I5. The M80 sounds better on vocals than the M81 due to the extra top end. Though the Telefunken mics costs more than the other dynamic mic's, in my opinion they are well worth it.

I tested the M82 first was just speaking through it. With the flat setting it sounded a little boxy. Once I put the high end boost switch on, it came more to life. I preferred it much more than the Audix D6 for spoken word. Rich low end, and nice top end without over doing it. The D6 has a little more ssss coming through. Though it has a decent low end, it did not have the full bottom end sound of the M82. For spoken word, the M82 is a a great choice.
I then tested them by recording my Fender jazz bass through a Aguilar Tonehammer 500 and Aguilar bass cab. Again in the flat position, the M82 sounded big in the low end but it was missing too much top end. With the high boost switch on, it sound fantastic. It actually sounded a little similar to the D6 with the exception of the M82 having more umph in the low end and less extra top end. The D6 was a little smoother sounding and had more top end. Both sounded good for recording bass amps.

If your looking for guitar amp mic's, dynamic vocal mic's or bass cabs, the Telefunken mics are very good choices. They also have shorter handle versions for their drum mic setup with these three mic's.
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster
revelationsoundstudio.com

Re: Telefunken M80 M81 & M82 microphones for drums

Postby Glenn Bucci » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:57 pm

After we ordered the Telefunken mics for our Pearl Reference drum kit, I found very insightful videos Telefunken did with Sweetwater on using their mics for a drum kit. They provide good examples of how the mics sound and how to set them up. Here is one of videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwBtD-Z33Kg

These Telefunken mics are just incredible sounding on a drum it. Punchy, clear, you hear the ring of the toms and resonance. In addition, the tom mics don't pick up the cymbals as much as our older drum mics.
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster
revelationsoundstudio.com