You are here

Soundcraft Notebook FX8

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Soundcraft Notebook FX8

Postby ef37a » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:37 am

I received the mixer about a week ago and immediately set it up with an SM57 listening on Senneheiser 448 headphones. There was plenty of gain and no noise I could detect and 'normal' levels. Turning the gain to max gave a smooth, low level hiss.

I was a bit miffed to find that although Soundcraft give us two mains leads, UK 13A and EU bi-pin (more about 'power' later) they do not include an A-B USB cable. Personally I would much rather get a mains cable for destination country and USB lead? I can see a scenario with a very disappointed teenager who cannot record over the weekend! I, like I guess most here, have more USB cables than sticks are shook at.

Yesterday I plugged in a Mex Strat and the high Z input worked very well. I was pleased to find there was not a huge amount of gain on the channel and so headroom should be fine for even the hottest humbucker. The Strat pups are pretty wimpy but I had no trouble getting -20dBFS in Samplitude. One annoying anomaly? The guitar signal is relentlessly on the left, the pan pot does not move it, a signal routing oversight? I have asked Soundcraft for a signal block diagram but nothing has been forthcoming.

Power: The mixer is destined for France for my son to use for PA and recording so I used the bi-pin mains cable and a 'shaver' adaptor. A week ago this was fine but yesterday all was plugged up but I got no sound from the mixer. Long/short, the wee 19mm fuse had blown in the adaptor. One amp* 19mm ceramic. In a 'bag of 1000' I found an RS fuse, right size but 5A. Tried it with some trepidation but all was and still is well! Now, DO NOT EVER suggest people uprate fusses willy-nilly but I was confident the mains cable could easily carry enough fault current to blow 5 amps in this case. In France of course the cable is at the mercy of whatever feed it! Clearly the SMPSU lump pull a goodly chunk of juice 'from cold'.

*I do not recall shaver adaptors being fused in the past and if so I would have said 3A?

My impressions of the mixer are generally good. I did not have long with it and it does not replace a more versatile AI but a performing musician/singer will find it very useful to feed an active speaker say and make decent 24 bit recording of the proceedings.
Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Soundcraft Notebook FX8

Postby James Perrett » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:12 pm

Thanks for the useful review Dave. You are right about the surges that some switch mode power supplies show - although others have some kind of soft start to prevent this.

ef37a wrote:*I do not recall shaver adaptors being fused in the past and if so I would have said 3A?

I'm fairly sure that the Ever Ready ones that we sold in the shop back in the late 70's were fused at 1A - but the fuses were physically smaller than the standard 13A plug fuses.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Soundcraft Notebook FX8

Postby ef37a » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:41 pm

You are probably right about the fuse rating James, I do recall the wee fuse in mains clock connectors were 2A? I thought shaver adaptors would be about the same.

Academic for son as I said, the French outlet will be fused way above 1A. 16 amps?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster