You are here

Dust (meta-review)

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Dust (meta-review)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:03 am

I have had a bit of a dust problem in my studio for far too long now. Regular dusting and cleaning works to keep it at bay plus I have dust covers for all my gear but it's always been something of a pain and I finally got round to trying out an alternative solution in the form of an air purifier.

I have no prior experience with air purifiers and selected mine based on some user reviews and a few web searches. It's a futuristic-looking cylindrical object approximately 15" high and 9" in diameter. There is a circular vent on top with some flush touch-sensitive controls alongside and slots for air-intake around the bottom.

The controls are simple: on/off, night light (illuminates the central portion of the top with a pleasant ambient blue glow) and a fan speed button which cycles through low/medium/high settings.

Internally there is a pre-filter followed by a HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filter followed by an activated carbon filter through all of which air is drawn by an internal fan via the slots in the lower sides of the cylinder. After passing through the filters the purified air is expelled vertically upwards through a ring of vents on the top.

Rated at 25w it can be run as and when desired, or permanently. The filter is supposed to last up to 6 months before needing replacement (a straightforward 'plug and play' operation) although mileage may vary based on environment, fan speed and usage. I've not had mine long enough to comment further on that.

At the lowest speed the fan is very quiet, certainly quiet enough to be on while I'm working at my desk nearby (I work from home and use my studio as an office) though I turn it off when doing music. At medium and high speeds it is rather louder but still quieter than I would expect considering the amount of air that comes out the top at those settings.

Other than when working on music I run mine permanently on low speed and don't really notice it's there.

I'm not going to specifically mention or recommend the model I have because I have nothing to compare it to and I don't know how it stands up to others on the market but after running it for a week the difference in my studio is remarkable.

Everything is cleaner, the room smells 'fresher' (no scent involved) and the amount of dust in the air has reduced down to an almost imperceptible level in a sunbeam. As a test I left the covers off my equipment since installing it and everything looks pristine.

I wish I'd got one years ago and for anyone else out there with a "dusty gear" problem I can certainly recommend an air purifier as a result. I don't suffer from hay fever but according to the documentation that came with it, it will also remove pollen so that alone might be worth it for some people.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Re: Dust (meta-review)

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:19 am

Very helpful Eddy, especially as I have been considering dust build up around the house recently and considering something along the same lines.

Nothing I need to address in the short term, I have a lot more sorting out to do before I can really start getting the house in order. But definitely on the radar.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:39 am

It'll save you a lot of housework Andy!

We're thinking of getting a couple more for other rooms in the house (living room and bedroom), but I'm going to wait for a couple of months just to be sure that this one continues to work as well as it has to date.

Although I'm reluctant to name the make and model here for the reasons stated in my meta-review above, if anyone wants to know what I have then feel free to PM me for more info and I'll be happy to confirm how it's working for me and point them at it :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:08 am

Cheers mate,

noted for future reference :D

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby CS70 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:00 am

Thank you - that was really a good idea to share!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Folderol » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:46 am

Interesting. I'd never really thought of those, tending to (wrongly it seems) regard them mostly as gimmicks.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:15 pm

Fascinating, and most encouraging too Eddy!

Many, many years ago I bought an ioniser (negative ion generator) , which also did a good job of containing dust and livening up the atmosphere.

However, unlike your air purifier, it caused the dust particles to deposit themselves on nearby grounded items, so I eventually ended up with a dark area on the nearby wallpaper.

I think your approach is rather superior, and I might well investigate myself.

Martin
Martin Walker