You are here

Adverts

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Adverts

Postby Folderol » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:20 pm

Look folks, I'm trying to be good, but all these flashy graphic adds are slowing my connection to a crawl - to say nothing of the effect on my eyes. By comparison, all the other music sites I visit are virtually instant, as is the heavy duty stuff like the BBC site.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Adverts

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:23 pm

I can't say I'm noticing a particular problem here...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Folderol » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:37 pm

Well, both BT and an independent site report my speeds as 12.5M down 1M up (middle of the night I'll get between 14 and 15 M down). 'puter is an average 4yo with reasonably good on-board graphics. As I said, it's only here that I have a problem :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:44 pm

Faster than mine...

What is the issue? Ads not loading or something?
Might be a local DNS issue maybe, try with something like OpenDNS and see if it changes.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:29 pm

The point is the dramatic difference in performance. No other website I visit behaves like this.

Here, it's click on page link for new page - spinner, advert, spinner, advert, spinner advert - page shows, spinner advert, spinner advert, etc. till it eventually settles.

BBC website on page change - brief red X then page appears complete.

KVR website page change - spinner - new page, spinner all adverts.

Soundcloud page change - spinner - new page.

arstechnica page change - spinner, new page complete with adverts.

The Register page change - very brief spinner, new page complete with adverts.

and finally, own website with Zen - page change (no detectable delay)
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:32 pm

Folderol wrote:The point is the dramatic difference in performance. No other website I visit behaves like this.

I get that, but I don't see that here, and I'm on a slower connection to you, so it's not inherent in the site architecture, it's something that's currently happening for you (has it always been liked this? Or is it a "just started today" thing?)

A page loads in about 4 seconds here, complete with ads, about the same as the BBC homepage.

Hence why I gave you an option to try, just in case there was some issue on your connection/ISP end causing problems, possibly with the ad server network. It does happen. I've had entire sites fall off my ISP's DNS for a week or so before the DNS updates were fixed.

Having the ads load asyncronously is actually a good thing, as you can read the content, without having to wait for the ads if they are slower. Are you just put off by the fact the page loads and the ads load afterwards?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:42 pm

Folderol wrote:Well, both BT and an independent site report my speeds as 12.5M down 1M up (middle of the night I'll get between 14 and 15 M down). 'puter is an average 4yo with reasonably good on-board graphics. As I said, it's only here that I have a problem :(

I suspect a lot of internet service providers will see outages as all the Huawei equipment is decommissioned and purged from the networks and replaced with untried kit that will need to be slotted into the infrastructure.

I wonder who is going to end up paying for all that new kit and the cost of setting it up? All to pander to the whim of Trump, he won’t be paying for it, that’s for sure.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:55 am

Win 10 user here...

Sometimes the SOS site is slow to load, but the vast majority of the time (97%+) it's no different to any other decent site.

... and there are some sites I have to visit regularly where everything is s_l_o_w to load...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:07 pm

Ublock Origin + buying a subscription to SOS. You must do both. That way you avoid the ads completely but still fund the site you love.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Every disaster movie starts with a scientist ignored.