You are here

CLA Epic... minor review critique

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

CLA Epic... minor review critique

Postby Suntower » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:10 am

I love your magazine. Subscribed for a decade-ish. I have NEVER criticised your reviews before. But...

Waves has done this ELABORATE marketing deal where CLA shows you explicitly that they are modeling his personal Lexicon 480. And... if you try their 'Epic' demo it sounds NOTHING like a 480 Plate. You can vaguely get in the ball park... but not even close with the LARC settings I remember.

I bought CLA Epic, I think it is useful. But... I think the review should have indicated as much, given the fact that the plug is marketed as an attempt to re-create CLA's hardware.

I'm not trying to shill here, so I won't mention that there are other options which do sound indentical to the 480XL Fat Plate. :)

Sorry to be a downer here. But you guys are usually spot on so this was a bit surprising.

Best.
Suntower
Regular

Re: CLA Epic... minor review critique

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback -- always valuable and appreciated. The section editor who handles plugin reviews is away this week, but I've flagged this up for his return, and hopefully he'll be able to comment upon his return.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: CLA Epic... minor review critique

Postby Suntower » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:55 pm

Thank -you-. I wouldn't have said anything but CLA's videos are just so shamelessly plumping for the notion that you're getting precise models of his to die for rig. The video literally shows him dialing in settings on -his- LARC. I'm not cross with you guys... it's just that 99.9% of people under the age of 200 have never heard a for realz 480. But the thing is: it's unforgettable. I mean--I haven't been next to the real thing in 15 years but I know 'the sound' when I hear it.

Best.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Thanks for the feedback -- always valuable and appreciated. The section editor who handles plugin reviews is away this week, but I've flagged this up for his return, and hopefully he'll be able to comment upon his return.
Suntower
Regular