You are here

Important Announcement re: Old Threads

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Important Announcement re: Old Threads

Postby Paul Gilby » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:44 pm

PLEASE READ

This version of the SOS Forum has now been running for over 10 years and is close to reaching the one million post mark. For technical reasons we need to reduce the amount of posts to make it more manageable and provide future capacity.

The best way for us to trim the content is to set a cut-off date and purge the database from that point backwards. However, rather than set one overall date, we've asked the Moderators to carefully review the topics and threads in each forum so that we can set a different cut-off date per forum.

Our analysis shows that few of the really old threads are ever viewed, but where there is a popular one or a sticky, we have elected to keep it.

For the most popular forums such as:

Recording Techniques
Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
Guitar Technology
Keyboards & Synthesis

we'll keep the past 8 years and most other forums will be 5 years. More immediate time-sensitive forums such as News, SOS Magazine Feedback etc will be kept for 1 year.

Please Note: If you have been a regular contributor across the years you may see your post count reduce if you posted in some of the older purged topics. Unfortunately, we have not found a way to retain post counts.

The purge will start on Monday 9th February and should be completed within a few days.

If you have any questions, please reply here and someone from the Mod team will answer.
Paul Gilby

Re: Important Announcement re: Old Threads

Postby Folderol » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:35 pm

Cue jokes about getting a bigger hard drive :D
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:41 pm

If only it were that simple...
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,958 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby alexis » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:17 pm

Paul Gilby wrote:PLEASE READ ...
Please Note: If you have been a regular contributor across the years you may see your post count reduce if you posted in some of the older purged topics. Unfortunately, we have not found a way to retain post counts....

This seems like a nice example of downward compression without make up gain?

:D
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby Jack Ruston » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:02 pm

Thank God. I've been praying you guys would find a way to get rid of some of the bollocks I posted when I first joined the forums.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby zenguitar » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:23 am

And if anyone has an old thread that is a favourite, or something you think is worth keeping for posterity, just use the :SOS: button to alert a Mod. We can mark it so it isn't lost. You don't away with it that easily Jack ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:07 am

And I've personally just done a search for early Jack Ruston posts and marked them not only for Keeping, but also made sure they appear with a different background colour to make them more obvious :round1:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Jack Ruston » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:35 am

Look. It took some time to grasp that connecting external synths with midi cables alone is not sufficient to produce recorded audio in an a DAW.
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:22 am

.... and could you please delete my stupid little huff'n'puff about the differences between PAs and live-sound systems.... :roll:

I thenk yew...

(You can all go and look for it now.... :D)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:20 pm

zenguitar wrote:And if anyone has an old thread that is a favourite, or something you think is worth keeping for posterity, just use the :SOS: button to alert a Mod. We can mark it so it isn't lost.

That's a very good thing, actually. Eleven or so years ago I was a regular contributor on a forum for concertina players when I had a stroke. Over the following year I wrote quite a bit about what it was like to be a musician recovering from stroke. Then one day the forum host scrapped the old forum and installed new forum software. In the process all the old forum posts were lost. I'd give my eye teeth to get some of those posts back now.

OTOH I'm quite happy to lose the posts where I said something silly (e.g. Radio 3 as a gold standard of sound quality) and was gently corrected by Hugh. ;)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby ken long » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:49 pm

Paul Gilby wrote:PLEASE READ...

Gosh. A little drastic isn't it? Is there no other way to do this? You'll just have to do it again in a few years?
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Sosabba » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:57 pm

I'm a bit of a hoarder with a bad memory and must admit that this isn't the best news for me! I often refer back to my old threads in this an other forums to remind myself of stuff.

But anyhow, I understand the need...

I'm just trying to decide whether I would be best to :SOS: each of my old posts, or just save them as .MHT files on my hard drive.

Would mods have a preference as to what I should do?
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:19 pm

Li-rocchi wrote:I'm a bit of a hoarder with a bad memory and must admit that this isn't the best news for me! I often refer back to my old threads in this an other forums to remind myself of stuff.

Don't panic Li-rocchi!

As Paul mentions above, although there will be a cull of ancient posts, we will be keeping at lest a few years worth in each category. It's only threads that are older that it would be useful to hear about so we can save them manually.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby damoore » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:32 am

Couldn't the old stuff be archived as tar'd or zipped text files?

I had thought it might be available on the way back machine, but while other things from the site are, the forums aren't.
damoore
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Senior » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:32 am

damoore wrote:Couldn't the old stuff be archived as tar'd or zipped text files?

I had thought it might be available on the way back machine, but while other things from the site are, the forums aren't.

Now there's an idea I'd support. It's a shame to chuck out the resource of older discussion, in my view, even if that means having to trawl through the posts with a text editor's search function. If hosting space is not the issue, this would seem like a good fix.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio

Postby desmond » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:19 am

Is there any way to browse back through your posts? According to my post count, I've done nearly 10,000, but I can only browse the most recent 200?

So I've no idea how the cull will affect my content without being able to go and look.

I will really welcome some decent new forum software - this one really has gone long past it's "best by" data, imo...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby electronik » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:21 pm

Wow, this seems a really daft idea.

You have loads of user generated content, but can't keep it because of some lame technical reason, so you elect to delete stuff?

Even if it is not looked at a lot, it is driving traffic to the site. And more importantly, it is there for future generations.

Deleting stuff seems very lame, sorry.
electronik

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:46 pm

desmond wrote:I can only browse the most recent 200?

This ancient forum software only allows a search of up to 200, but you can see everything if you use google's search engine.

I know it seems 'lame' to have to delete old content -- I'm as bemused about it as everyone else... but in reality, how much really old stuff is actually searched for? The signal to noise ratio is probably really low -- but we do apparently have the facility to preserve specific threads where there is important 'vintage' content.

So, if there really is important legacy material on here that you really will miss, let us know and we can preserve it.

I'm also told that the entire forum archive will be saved prior to the culling, and although there are no plans, currently, to offer it as text file that may be possible if enough people really want it -- but it would be HUGE! ... and a very tedious read! ;)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby desmond » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:56 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
desmond wrote:I can only browse the most recent 200?

This ancient forum software only allows a search of up to 200, but you can see everything if you use google's search engine.

I know you can search for specific things, but what I can't do is pull up and go through a list of all my (or other contributors) posts so I can see whether I want to save anything. The whole point is that I don't know what is "there", so I can't search for it directly...

I'm not sure whether I can use Google to pull up all my posts, but I'll give it a stab...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:06 pm

if you run a google site search on the forum with your name (or someone else's) as the search tag, it should find them all, going all the way back... I think...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Next