You are here

Important Announcement re: Old Threads

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Important Announcement re: Old Threads

Postby Barry Garlow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Its a great idea to wipe out god knows how many year's worth of historical resource generated by dedicated users and technical experts. I mean who would ever think that anything more than a few year's old would be of any value at all?

Its not like fashions in production and related techniques ever come back round. This audio lark is completely linear.

Nope! Out with the old and in with the new! Disposable art and all that. I love the punk ethos of it.

I hear the British Library are doing something similar as nobody looks at old books any more and they need to make space for a thousand "fifty shades of grey" clones. :headbang:
Barry Garlow
Frequent Poster

Postby Jack Ruston » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:54 pm

Well let's face it, most of the threads will be either exactly the same discussions and principles that we've had in the last eight years (how to record XY or Z), or largely irrelevant stuff relating to working methods with earlier digital setups that now no longer apply. There must be an enormous amount of stuff that could go.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Scramble » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:26 pm

There may be, say, 20 000 threads on SOS in those 8 years, but really there's just 200, repeated 100 times each.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:04 pm

And I might want to refer to to some of the old "What be ye best mic for under 2 Sovereigns?" threads.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sosabba » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:43 pm

zenguitar wrote:And if anyone has an old thread that is a favourite, or something you think is worth keeping for posterity, just use the :SOS: button to alert a Mod. We can mark it so it isn't lost. You don't away with it that easily Jack ;)

Andy :beamup:

So just to clarify, if find some threads I want to keep, I can literally just reply with something like "Please keep :SOS:" and the thread will be kept? Is it as simple as that?

If so, is there a limit to how many?
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby Scramble » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:54 pm

Can we make a special request to have a crap thread deleted?
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby zenguitar » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:19 am

Whenever you view a thread you will see some buttons at the bottom of each post, one of those buttons is the :SOS: symbol. If you hover over it you will a tooltip saying something like 'notify moderator about this post'.

Here's a photo where I've crudely circled the :SOS: button to help you find it.

[image]Image[/image]

Click on that and you get a mail form which sends an email to all moderators and admins. It is what members use to alert us to specific posts that, for example, have turned into a slanging match, appear to be spam, or have been posted in the wrong forum.

So if there is a thread you want to keep, just click on the :SOS: button in the first post and say something like 'can we mark this thread to keep' in the message. And there is no limit to how many we can keep, although we would prefer it to be useful or informative threads ;)

zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby zenguitar » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:21 am

Scramble wrote:Can we make a special request to have a crap thread deleted?

No, but that's why we are only keeping the Musician's Lounge for 12 months ;)

zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:39 am

If you delete all of my posts you'll get 2117 spaces back with absolutely no loss of knowledge. However, your sarcasm & witty repartee rating on google will plummet.

Personally I'd be happy if you kept the last 6 weeks & deleted the rest. If anybody is seriously concerned about their post count, I think they've got bigger issues than you're ever going to address on a forum. Much of the information here is time-bound anyway, is anybody still interested in which are the best headphones to use with XP?
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Barry Garlow » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:50 am

Well i'm not trying to be anti or anything. I just can't help thinking, baby and bathwater.
Barry Garlow
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:48 pm

Wonks wrote:And I might want to refer to to some of the old "What be ye best mic for under 2 Sovereigns?" threads.
:bouncy:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sosabba » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi

I marked a handful of old threads with the :SOS: button and a messages to mods last night. I'm working my way through them and was planning to mark a few more tonight.

Am I still in time or is it too late now?

Also, please could you clarify if it is pretty much 100% that they will be saved? Or should I save them to HD just in case?

Cheers
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:53 pm

Li-rocchi wrote:I marked a handful of old threads with the :SOS: button and a messages to mods last night.

We got them, and they have all been flagged as keepers. Thanks

I'm working my way through them and was planning to mark a few more tonight.

I'm told the cull has now taken place, so really old stuff beyond the different expiry periods for each forum have now gone. However, as this is a rolling process where old posts are removed each week, we will need continually to flag key threads as keepers. So, by all means carry on letting us know about any other threads still on the system that you'd like to be retained.

Also, please could you clarify if it is pretty much 100% that they will be saved? Or should I save them to HD just in case?

If they are vitally important to you, you'd be wise to save them to your own system. We will certainly try to flag everything you request, but I can't absolutely guarantee it.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sosabba » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:22 pm

Damn! That's terrible news. :frown: I'm gutted. Unfortunately I was at work all day and my plan for the evening was to rescue all my needed posts in a mild panic before the cull. I did what I could over the last couple of days but work again got in the way of the weekend so I only had so long.

A bit more than four days notice would have been nice. :frown:

Thanks for the info RE the fact that it is a rolling process now. That's really good to know because before you said it I thought this was a one off.
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:03 pm

Li-rocchi wrote:Damn! That's terrible news. :frown: I'm gutted. Unfortunately I was at work all day and my plan for the evening was to rescue all my needed posts in a mild panic before the cull. I did what I could over the last couple of days but work again got in the way of the weekend so I only had so long.

You shouldn't worry too much Max - I've just looked up your most recent 200 posts, and those alone go back to 04/08/11 and are all still intact.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sosabba » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks for the moral support Martin.

To be quite honest, aside from a shoddy memory I also suffer with a bit of a fear of change! Which maybe explains why I am still on WinXP; installed on the PC I built in 2008. I think there is a logic to it too though. Until I lack resources, why upgrade? My PC does everything I want it too and I'll keep it for as long as that is the case.

The SOS Forum (yourself mainly, along with PeterC, and a fair few others) were a great help to me when it came to my self build decisions and the set up of it. At times - again because of a poor memory - I refer back to forum posts to remind myself why a setting in BIOS is as it is, or why I made a certain tweak to my OS, etc etc.

And the self build PC is just one example. There would no doubt be other things from way back which I have asked about and come to understand through the kind help of forum members. Trouble is I forget and like to reference back to remember when the topic comes back up for what ever reason.

So it just would have been nice to be able to go through my old threads and decide which of them were keepers before the cull.
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:43 am

Li-rocchi wrote:Thanks for the moral support Martin.

To be quite honest, aside from a shoddy memory I also suffer with a bit of a fear of change!

The SOS Forum (yourself mainly, along with PeterC, and a fair few others) were a great help to me when it came to my self build decisions and the set up of it. At times - again because of a poor memory - I refer back to forum posts to remind myself why a setting in BIOS is as it is, or why I made a certain tweak to my OS, etc etc.

I'm glad that I've been able to help you so much over the years (was that a tear in the corner of my eye just then ;) ).

However, re BIOS settings, O/S settings, and the like - you really ought to keep at the very least a simple text document containing details of any tweaks you've done to your PC and why, for future reference. The Internet is simply not robust enough to rely on permanently when it comes to vital technical data :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:25 pm

Though a large proportion of everything written here is dross, I still hate the idea of throwing away an archive. It's (mostly) only text. How difficult would it be to provide storage, with a basic search facility?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Zukan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:21 pm

You better not ditch 'In the wilderness...' thread. I shall killeth thee.I now speak Gospel speak.
Zukan

Postby ramthelinefeed » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:25 pm

I hope you've still got the Feline1 vs. Zukan DC Offsets thread, that was awesome.

And the Feline1 vs. that Akai repair place in Acton where we re-enacted 'The Pool' sketch from the Day Today. Stuff of legend!
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

PreviousNext