You are here

Early Sound On Sound Issues...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Early Sound On Sound Issues...

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:51 pm

The review on the MonoPoly (by Vince Clarke!) is more like my impression of how I thought about that at the time - basically, a weak sounding oddity that shouldn't be bothered with.

It's refreshing to read some reviews of classic analog synths where the conclusion is "don't bother, it's a bit rubbish", seeing as how venerated anything vintage and analog is these days... :headbang:

And... £3900 for the CS70M... wowzers!
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri May 18, 2018 5:10 pm

For today's timely Progress Update Report (I know you all look forward to this..! :headbang: :lol: ) - the first three Making Music issues are up:

http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/mm

and with their associated new publication blog post:

"Making Music, and music shops, and lunch money..."
http://www.muzines.co.uk/blog/making-music/26

One more of these to come next, and then we'll be adding the first of the International Musician issues (number #1 from 1975 is up first, just to annoy the people trying to sell their copy for £100+) :tongue: ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 18, 2018 7:52 pm

:D awesome!

I've been looking forward to the IMs...
H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby desmond » Fri May 18, 2018 8:14 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I've been looking forward to the IMs...

I think I've more or less decided to do two separate processing batches in the rotation with these - given there's so many issues, I think I'll do one batch working forward from 1975, and a second batch working forward from the early/mid 80s.

Otherwise, for people more interested in the modern stuff (like me! :wave: ), it would take *years* to get there. :shock:

As I've been scanning them, I'm continually surprised about some of the content and want to stop to read it (an urge I have to resist, it makes me more keen to get around to processing them.)

On the plus side - the early issues seem quite friendly for OCRing, given the production methods weren't too sophisticated back then! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 18, 2018 9:29 pm

The mid 70s were my formative music tech years, so I'm looking forward to some real nostalgia! ;-)
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Forum Admin » Fri May 18, 2018 10:04 pm

desmond wrote: I'm continually surprised about some of the content and want to stop to read it (an urge I have to resist, it makes me more keen to get around to processing them.)

I know the feeling! I do the same when converting/reconstructing SOS archive past issue articles for this site.

I’m back to Jan 2001 now but broke off and did some even earlier series, just to resurrect them. Lots of cracking info that is relevant today.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,119 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby Martin Walker » Sat May 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote::D awesome!

I've been looking forward to the IMs...
H

Me too - back in the day I subscribed to both IM and SOS.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby James Perrett » Sat May 19, 2018 7:51 pm

IM was probably the first musical instrument mag that I ever saw back in the late 70's. Still have the odd one or two somewhere. Back in the days before the Internet I used to spend quite a bit of time going back over old magazines - picking up on all the things that I'd missed the first time around as my experience grew.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Yes, I did the same, and I still have a virtually complete set of Studio Sound magazines which grew out of Tape Recorder in 1971. I still enjoy looking back through them, and still pick up things that I missed or didn't understand in previous readings. Lots of old-school knowledge stored in them.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Forum Admin » Sat May 19, 2018 9:43 pm

I started out reading Beat Instrumental. It’s editor was Ray Hammond (of Musician & The Micro book) and its ad manager was a certain fellow called Richard Desmond.

He went on to found IM&RW, Northern & Shell, Television X and Babestation, bought the Daily Express and Channel 5 TV amongst other things.
Forum Admin

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Shame it all went downhill after IM&RW... ;-)
Hugh Robjohns

Postby desmond » Sun May 20, 2018 11:50 am

Forum Admin wrote:I started out reading Beat Instrumental. It’s editor was Ray Hammond (of Musician & The Micro book) and its ad manager was a certain fellow called Richard Desmond.

He went on to found IM&RW, Northern & Shell, Television X and Babestation, bought the Daily Express and Channel 5 TV amongst other things.

Yes, I read RD's biography - at least the early days focusing around IM - for research, which was interesting... IM was the first music mag I regularly purchased (mainly because it was the only thing my local WHSmith's stocked).

I recently scanned the issue which had the article teaching drummers how to "stick twiddle" (which is where I learned it from) and other fun stuff like that.

Then I found Music Technology, and this was better for me as I wanted more content around synths/MIDI/computing rather than drum kit and guitar/bass reviews and stuck with that through to the early nineties The Mix, and I think I eventually gave up on the Mix after a while - some of the included CD content was fun though, and it was nice to be able to hear tracks from artists interviewed etc..

SOS, as i wasn't stocked locally, was very sporadic for me until the early 90s, I think I started reading it regularly from around '92 and that became the only one I read from then on...

But yes, in those days as a kid, these mags were the *only* way I got new info (apart from the odd occasional thing on the telly) and I would read them cover to cover over and over again, even the stuff I wasn't that interested in, as a way to learn as much as I could... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby AndyN » Sun May 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Do you have the International Musician synth special from around 82/83? It was a bit like a magazine version of the Keyfax books. This was the first music tech mag I ever bought but didn't realise it was a synth special. My mum and dad let us kids subscribe to one magazine each and I chose IM on the basis of that issue. I learnt how to programme synths by working out what the knobs and switches did and sneaking into Bill Greenhalgh's Music in Exeter to practise. I usually only had a couple of minutes before the shop assistant came along and threw me out. It must have been about 82/83 as I think the DX7 was in it with price to be confirmed.

Andy
AndyN
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Ah yes, Bill Greenhalgh's Music. I bought my first proper synth -- a Roland SH-09 -- from him in 1980, but spent many years before that lusting over the gear in his windows (particularly HH mixers and amps, WEM copycats, and stuff like that, as I recall).

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby desmond » Sun May 20, 2018 3:16 pm

AndyN wrote:Do you have the International Musician synth special from around 82/83? It was a bit like a magazine version of the Keyfax books. This was the first music tech mag I ever bought but didn't realise it was a synth special. My mum and dad let us kids subscribe to one magazine each and I chose IM on the basis of that issue.

I don't currently have that one but IM did publish quite a few extra publications and we are/will be collecting them - I'm keeping a list of them as I come across them - sometimes locking down dates is tricky as they are often marked as simply "1985" or something. I should really add the ones I already know about to the site though, so I'll do that this week..

AndyN wrote:I learnt how to programme synths by working out what the knobs and switches did and sneaking into Bill Greenhalghe's music in Exeter to practise. I usually only had a couple of minutes before the shop assistant came along and threw me out. It must have been about 82/83 as I think the DX7 was in it with price to be confirmed.

Nice! I like a lot of these little personal anecdotes, and have thought about asking people to send in little things like this for publishing, but I'm also not sure how much people care about this stuff...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun May 20, 2018 8:38 pm

desmond wrote:I would read them cover to cover over and over again, even the stuff I wasn't that interested in, as a way to learn as much as I could... :thumbup:
I do this with SoS now :)
I still don't understand half of what i read in the synth articles but that's half more than i used to, and even though I only use one DAW i still find lots of useful tidbits in the other technique pieces.
But strangely i still prefer reading about ridiculously expensive monitors that i can't afford and wouldn't appreciate! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Forum Admin » Mon May 21, 2018 8:23 am

I also used to buy Sound International, when the local WH Smith stocked it.

It was the 'consumer' offshoot of Studio Sound, launched in 1978 and edited by Richard Elen (who was Studio Sound's editor also).
Forum Admin

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 21, 2018 8:43 am

I don't recall ever seeing or reading a copy of Sound International.... weird!

And as it's not shown on Muzine's magazine time-line chart or the list of titles on the site I don't believe you! It can't have existed! You must have imagined it ! :lol: :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Forum Admin » Mon May 21, 2018 8:55 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I don't recall ever seeing or reading a copy of Sound International.... weird!

And as it's not shown on Muzine's magazine time-line chart or the list of titles on the site I don't believe you! It can't have existed! You must have imagined it ! :lol: :bouncy:

It definitely existed - see http://www.afka.net/Mags/Sound_International.htm

There are lots of music mags not on that timeline - see righthand sidebar links on the web site mentioned above.
Forum Admin

PreviousNext