You are here

Early Sound On Sound Issues...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Early Sound On Sound Issues...

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:33 pm

And if you want to browse just the electronics project stuff, go to Features, and choose "Electronics / Build" as the topic - now you'll see just the electronics projects which you can additionally filter by magazine, sort by date etc:

http://www.muzines.co.uk/features/28

Though I doubt many people are going to start a Matinee Organ project these days...! :D

(despite the effort it took to OCR, read, do images for, check component lists, format tables, and then redo five pages of corrections published in the last part... !
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:17 pm

I just had the blessings of former Electronic Soundmaker editor, Joe Hosken, to include this in our archive... :thumbup: :clap:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:52 pm

A great service to the music and recording technology community, Desmond. The world is a better place with generous, helpful people like yourself in it.

Keep up the magnificent work.

Ian G.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:59 pm

:blush:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:00 pm

It's fun looking back at those old magazines I was involved with... HSR, E&MM, SOS, Recording Musician...

I can still recall the hours we slaved over editing, page design (it was back in the pre-DTP heydays of hot wax and typographic paper), photo-shoots and image choices/cropping...

...it was very much akin to pre-digital recording when decisions had to be taken on the spot, and there was no time to go back and fix stuff. The deadline (and content) was king!
Forum Admin

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Forum Admin wrote:I can still recall the hours we slaved over editing, page design (it was back in the pre-DTP heydays of hot wax and typographic paper), photo-shoots and image choices/cropping...

Yes, goodness knows how you managed it..! :shock:

(In fact, I have no idea how people did *anything* before computers! :headbang: )

I've never really known publishing before the dawn of DTP (although those DTP early days were... interesting...)

It certainly has an effect on the effort required to re-publish them - in general terms, the super early stuff is quite random, typography is all over the place, print and image quality is often poor, text errors to fix, images "creatively" used (overlapping ones at angles are super fun to handle!) etc... I still come across articles where the paragraphs have been printed in the wrong order (that can be hard to reverse-engineer and figure out), and occasionally some that are so garbled I can't even figure out what the sentence is trying to say!

It gets better quality and more consistent over a few years as the publishers figure out better ways of producing the issues, then DTP starts coming in, and at first the DTP-produced issues become really nice to handle - the typography is fairly plain but consistent, there are not too many images to deal with, and even then, there isn't much wacky stuff done to them as the software didn't have a lot of features, plain white backgrounds, no overlaps etc...

Then as you head into the late-80s/early 90s, DTP software let people do more, page layouts become more and more wacky again, more colour and crazy backgrounds were used, "cool" body text colours on patterned backgrounds, text overlaying images everywhere... those ones can be a pain to deal with too.

Then once we get past the acid/video revolution, things start to settle down again and common-sense and taste prevails... ;)

So the happy middle ground of the mid to late 80s is nice from my point of view! ;)
Thankfully SOSPubs always had a great design sensibility and didn't get too sidetracked with wacky design through the years! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:11 pm

And now "Recording Musician" is complete - all issues are now active.

(Though of course, RM content continues in Sound On Sound from June 1993 onwards, which we haven't got to yet).

The next batch of issues to process will be starting with Electronic Soundmaker #1...

Thanks to Mike Gorman for supplying and scanning his issues of RM for the site...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:48 pm

desmond wrote:And now "Recording Musician" is complete - all issues are now active

:thumbup: :clap:

Yet more nostalgia to wallow amongst 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:28 am

One.

Happy Birthday to us - mu:zines is one today. 8-)

Here's a blog post with a summary of what happened over the year, including the top viewed articles:
http://www.muzines.co.uk/blog/one/19

I'll bring the cakes in today... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:02 am

Congratulations and salutations Desmond :D

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:14 am

Fascinating stuff Desmundo, I can’t believe the simplicity of this statement lifted from

6: Go West Producer: Gary Stevenson (SOS) /s

Orchestrating or arranging synths is an area where a lot of people fall down, not understanding that synths in particular can sound totally different when mixed into a track. Yet Gary seems particularly skilled in this area.

"Some people will EQ a keyboard while it's on its own. That's all right up to a point but you have to put it in the track and listen to it and then say: Oh, this isn't cutting through, or it's a bit mushy there."

"Then you listen to it on its own and you think: I wouldn't have normally gone for that sound. But that's the whole thing, putting it in the picture, really. I spent a lot of time on my 8-track learning that the hard way."

Talk about stating the obvious.

Not knocking it cos I know it ain’t obvious cos in a recent EQ thread someone stated the same thing to people who can’t mix, you listen in isolation and in the context of the mix, I was doing that before I ever read it, how can you not end up there yourself if you’re working out how to mix down off your own bat.

Loadsa covers I remember, SOS always and still does have a very nice look to it and all nicely laid out & easy to read, er, I still get my monthly fix from the mag.

Fascinating and very nicely done mate.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:25 am

Yes, huge congratulations on a fantastic project 'they' said couldn't be done! :-) Really enjoying the results of all the hard work from you and your team.

LdashD wrote:Talk about stating the obvious.

It's always obvious when you know and understand, and a huge missing link when you don't. Perhaps you were lucky enough to be born with innate musical and engineering skills... or perhaps it was just arrogance... Who knows?

The point is that everyone learns at their own pace. The SOS magazine and this forum are all about people generously and patiently sharing their knowledge supportively. You say you get it...and yet so many of your posts make me wonder. :?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Guest271017 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 am

Yes, huge congrats! :clap:
Guest271017
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:44 pm

desmond wrote:Happy Birthday to us - mu:zines is one today. 8-)

I've already congratulated you privately, but for the public record Happy 1st Birthday! :clap: :clap: :clap: A great service for all.

If you want to push up your traffic, just make more old issues of SOS 'active'. :P ;)
Forum Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Yes, huge congratulations on a fantastic project 'they' said couldn't be done! :-) Really enjoying the results of all the hard work from you and your team.

LdashD wrote:Talk about stating the obvious.

It's always obvious when you know and understand, and a huge missing link when you don't. Perhaps you were lucky enough to be born with innate musical and engineering skills... or perhaps it was just arrogance... Who knows?

The point is that everyone learns at their own pace. The SOS magazine and this forum are all about people generously and patiently sharing their knowledge supportively. You say you get it...and yet so many of your posts make me wonder. :?

I think you and others here can be a tad over-sensitive, intolerant even, just cos some people don’t necessarily share the same opinion as you?

Nobody is above criticism, except perhaps geniuses, Politicians, Artists, Actor Chappies you name it, all fair targets in my book, I’m just as exposed as every other bod, plenty of my stuff floating about in the ether no one’s ‘ad a go yet, I wonder why eh?

I’d been writing a good few years on me 246 with absolutely no idea about mixing or even what it was, did a good few demos in crappy(ish) studios and always used to wonder what is it that engineers can hear that I can’t, with me so far sir?

Eventually, must’ve been a reason, I asked a mate, a non-musician, is there anything wrong with this mix of mine, immediately he said that the bass drum was too loud, I remember to this day, in my head I thought, what’s that got to do with anything? I realised immediately when he’d left.

From that day on I set about trying to mix proper like, perhaps subconsciously seeing stuff soloed when demoing may have been a help, anyway it’s seems blaringly obvious to me that you’d listen in isolation and in the mix, arrogant or not, that must be the most basic fundamental element of mixing there is, so to my way of thinking it’s like telling someone how to breathe, so I think diff to you and others, so what, are you that arrogant that you think you’re always right when ‘avin’ a pop at me, no need to stop, I couldn’t give a monkey’s wot you or others think of me, I quite enjoy the notoriety, my music, my art and my opinions all seem to be diff to the norm, so I’m different? this is a good thing in my book, maybe not yours but it’s that that makes you cocksure?

I’ve said many times here, IF I’m any good, (& you can see it’s a big IF innit) it’s cos of wot I listened too was good and that audio engineering is more an Art than it is a trade, I’m an artist, artists generally can work in many various artistic fields, hence I can set levels, arrogant or not, I apologise for being one of ‘em mate.

The MM said, of my work, “Done under the influence of too much Lucozade and more House points for the guy responsible for….

Mixmag said, ‘A new breed of POP stormer“

And my fave from Record Mirror, “To the point... & the crispiest snare you’ll ever hear”.

Truth is I’ve never had a bad review so I have no need for arrogance, confidence, yes.

So I’ll carry on regardless as will you and your chums no doubt, takes all sorts dunnit.

Wonder that sir.

PreviousNext