You are here

Early Sound On Sound Issues...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Early Sound On Sound Issues...

Postby Guest271017 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:04 pm

LdashD wrote:yada-yada-yada

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Was going to post a long response, but won't litter this thread with garbage. Let's just say if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing.

Congrats again, Desmond. It's a fine and noble task you've undertaken. :thumbup:
Guest271017
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:59 pm

LdashD wrote:Fascinating stuff Desmundo, I can’t believe the simplicity of this statement lifted from

6: Go West Producer: Gary Stevenson (SOS) /s

Orchestrating or arranging synths is an area where a lot of people fall down, not understanding that synths in particular can sound totally different when mixed into a track. Yet Gary seems particularly skilled in this area.

"Some people will EQ a keyboard while it's on its own. That's all right up to a point but you have to put it in the track and listen to it and then say: Oh, this isn't cutting through, or it's a bit mushy there."

"Then you listen to it on its own and you think: I wouldn't have normally gone for that sound. But that's the whole thing, putting it in the picture, really. I spent a lot of time on my 8-track learning that the hard way."

Talk about stating the obvious.

Not knocking it cos I know it ain’t obvious cos in a recent EQ thread someone stated the same thing to people who can’t mix, you listen in isolation and in the context of the mix, I was doing that before I ever read it, how can you not end up there yourself if you’re working out how to mix down off your own bat.

Loadsa covers I remember, SOS always and still does have a very nice look to it and all nicely laid out & easy to read, er, I still get my monthly fix from the mag.

Fascinating and very nicely done mate.

To be 'onest H, (are there's the missing letter) I just read it back - ? Who am i offending actually?

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:15 pm

Hey! What's been going on with mu:zines lately, I hear you ask?

(Ok, you didn't, but I'm gonna tell you anyway, because I know you all like to be informed - that's why you're reading his thread!)

We've only gone and collected *and* scanned *all 128* issues of Home & Studio Recording, that's what!

(Thanks mostly due to Mike's herculean scanning efforts with his collection...)

Wowzers, I didn't expect to complete acquiring that collection within (more or less) a year, that's for sure! That's one more complete publication collected and scanned to go along with Music Technology, E&MM, Sound On Sound, and Recording Musician we've already completed.

Next up for scanning/collecting are International Musician and The Mix, as well as a bunch of outstanding miscellaneous issues in the scanning queue.

Oh, and we've catalogued and indexed all the ES&CM audio cassettes and have a natty audio player for these (which makes listening to them actually a nice experience - you can skip the adverts and all the Simmons tom fills, which goes a long way to retaining your sanity!) - which will be up when the first cassette bearing issue of ES&CM goes up over the next week or two - and after those last few issues we have of those are done, we'll be back round to getting more SOS issues done next...

Could it be more exciting?! I don't think so! :)

Oh, we also have tagged all the ads to all live content, and are ad-tagging each issue as we go forward, so at some point later on when the feature is live, searches will also optionally be able to pull up ads for gear, as well as a dedicated ad search facility, which is handy for research. It's just that this is probably less exciting than the other cool stuff above, so I thought I'd stick it down here...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby zenguitar » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:45 am

Bravo Desmond.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:52 pm

desmond wrote:Next up for scanning/collecting are International Musician and The Mix

Wow - I might still get to re-read the one feature I wrote for The Mix back in 1996! :o 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BillB » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:56 pm

Well done Desmond, for exceeding all expectations, even your own :clap:

I have been wondering about ways to "close the gap" between SOS issues on the SOS website (everything after July 2003 at present) and those on Muzines, working from 1985 towards 1994, currently at 1987. I appreciate that the SOS team is working backwards in time - they have covered 2 years since the following post was made in 2016.

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewt ... %20archive
The issues from 1994 to 2003 in the "wayback machine".

There is also a less-than-ideal but better-than-nothing review etc listing function here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150628214 ... eviews.php

Does anyone know if there is any way to search everything (eg all of the wayback machine SOS articles for "Roland 303")?
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:49 pm

I don't know of any way to search Wayback as it has no SOS database behind it, only captured content pages.

I also don't recall SOS ever reviewing the TB303 -- it was released before our time. But there might have been a retrozone feature about it...
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby BillB » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:02 pm

OK, thank you.

Don't worry, I have no specific interest in the TB-303, I just gave it as an example of an interesting search term, which would probably throw up TB-303 (as you say, if retrozoned) and probably MC-303. Interesting contrasts.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Wow - I might still get to re-read the one feature I wrote for The Mix back in 1996!

Definitely - but it will be a while yet before we get that far along..! :headbang:

BillB wrote:Well done Desmond, for exceeding all expectations, even your own :clap:

Thanks! :thumbup: 8-)

The first Electronic Soundmaker issue with audio is up now ( http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/es/84/10/749 ).

I have a couple more of these to get done and then that's all the ES&CM issues we have for now - we'll be back to some more SOS issues after that... 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:28 pm

desmond wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:Wow - I might still get to re-read the one feature I wrote for The Mix back in 1996!

Definitely - but it will be a while yet before we get that far along..! :headbang:

No worries desmond - it took me six months of chasing before I got paid by 'The Mix' for that feature, so it doesn't have many fond memories :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:50 pm

Martin Walker wrote:No worries desmond - it took me six months of chasing before I got paid

Sounds much like my various experiences in magazine journalism... :(

There's a joke in there somewhere about "latency compensation" I'm sure... :headbang: :beamup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:05 pm

And that's 150 issues now active. 8-)

That's a third of the pre-archive run of SOS's active so far (32 out of 98).

Just gone up is a nice early E&MM featuring a great Kraftwerk interview... :thumbup:

634 issues scanned to date, and my scan pile is clear again. Time to go enjoy some sunshine, I think...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Definitely a well-earned rest!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:09 pm

desmond wrote:...and my scan pile is clear again.

Glad to hear the ointment is working. :bouncy: :beamup:

Well done.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:46 am

desmond wrote:634 issues scanned to date...

Fantastic work, Desmond. And it is hugely appreciated!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

PreviousNext