You are here

Early Sound On Sound Issues...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Early Sound On Sound Issues...

Postby tea for two » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:54 pm

A site to add to my small list of favourites to read on travels.
What a treat to recall fondness.

Des your dogged devotion to this is Much appreciated.
You really deserve a treat.
Already sent this months (to [email]donate@muzines.co.uk)[/email] just the basic £5 I'm afraid.

I didn't have spare pocket money for these magazines, at the time I wasn't aware.
Arcades 10p 20p a pop, CurlyWurlys ate up coin.
Looking forward to May 1990 first SOS I purchased.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose/s is are unique to us, just as meaning/s of our life is unique to us. These change throughout our life.

Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose, universal meaning of life. 

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:01 pm

Thank you t4two - that is very much appreciated!

All donations will go to hosting costs and if we have some stuff left over I'll use it to benefit the site in other ways, such as purchasing issues we need if they are available (and not ridiculously priced!)

I've already spent far too much on picking up issues that were too good an opportunity to be missed, so I've told myself not to buy any more, but it's really hard to ignore good, difficult to get stuff that otherwise might not be able to get archived - such as the Home Studio Recording collection that's just listed on ebay now... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Goddard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks very much for making this resource available. Well done!

If you're interested, I believe scans of a few old E&MM project articles may be found amongst the various (mostly guitar and synth electronics related) articles archived here.

Btw, also available there (at pp. 10-12) are scans of all issues of the Device guitar electronics 'newsletter' published by Craig Anderton and Roger Clay in '79.

(I've links somewhere to some old Polyphony (forerunner of EM) scans as well but will need to dig them out).
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:31 pm

Fantastic job, donation made. Now down to some reading...,,

Andy
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:39 pm

Goddard wrote:If you're interested, I believe scans of a few old E&MM project articles may be found amongst the various (mostly guitar and synth electronics related) articles archived here.

Thanks - scans of the odd article are not really that useful for me, as I need the complete issue to be valuable - except where an issue is complete apart from one article is damaged. But even so, I can't just take other people's scans, even if it is their content.

So we'll see what we can do in crowdsourcing complete issues, and then deal with the really obscure stuff then, I think! :)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:39 pm

Wow! I didn't expect anything so swish! This will be a very useful resource.

Very, very well done, mate!

It pained me when I had to dump all my old mags with the last house move. I offered them to everyone I could think of, but nobody would take them - entire collections of E&MM, ESM, HSR/H&SR, IM, Musicians Weekly... :frown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:39 pm

BobTheDog wrote:Fantastic job, donation made.

Awesome, thank you! 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:45 pm

The Elf wrote:It pained me when I had to dump all my old mags with the last house move. I offered them to everyone I could think of, but nobody would take them - entire collections of E&MM, ESM, HSR/H&SR, IM, Musicians Weekly... :frown:

I know - I got rid of everything bar my pre-94 SOSs, my MT's, and some Making Musics back in the late 90s - I regret getting rid of some of the other stuff now but there you go.

One of the motivations of getting this stuff online was so I no longer needed to keep boxes of mags, but not lose access to the content. Of course, so far, the end results is that I've actually got *more* mags now while everything is being scanned - but ultimately, the issues will all go on ebay (for low prices) to people who really want them and will appreciated them.

Some of the magazine price gauging is ridiculous - single issues of One Two Testing are being offered for £85! It wasn't even that good a mag! :headbang:

A couple of pounds for single issues, or £20ish for a years worth seem the right prices to me, not £10+ a copy...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Goddard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:02 pm

desmond wrote:
Goddard wrote:If you're interested, I believe scans of a few old E&MM project articles may be found amongst the various (mostly guitar and synth electronics related) articles archived here.

Thanks - scans of the odd article are not really that useful for me, as I need the complete issue to be valuable - except where an issue is complete apart from one article is damaged. But even so, I can't just take other people's scans, even if it is their content.

So we'll see what we can do in crowdsourcing complete issues, and then deal with the really obscure stuff then, I think! :)

Understood.

Meanwhile, for anyone interested, scans of various Polyphony issues can be found online here, here and here. PAIA were at one time still offering some back numbers for sale here as well.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Yamaha's "Aftertouch" is also available online (I'll dig out the link) and an almost complete collection of "Studio Sound" is available at AmericanRadioHistory but this was done without contacting the rights holders or people who worked on it, which has annoyed some folks a bit.

(No, I'm not planning on proof-reading 50 years of Studio Sound for mu:zines, sorry! :headbang:)

I'm trying to get stuff that isn't already online, and done in a useful form, and be respectful of the rights holders and copyrights, wherever possible. And there's more than enough to be getting on with! ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Goddard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:24 pm

You might consider simply listing links to other online OOP music 'zine archives/repositories (e.g. under an "external resources" section on your site).

Linking to the external archive sites where OOP 'zine issues are available online (not directly linking to 'zine issues hosted on such sites!) should not offend any legalities afaik.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:46 am

Looks like the last 9 issues of E&MM we are missing are now being contributed and scanned for mu:zines. 8-)

Crowdsourcing rocks! Things like this are exactly what I was hoping for! :angel:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:16 pm

Those very early issue E&MM covers bring back fond memories...

So, anyone wonder where Daft Punk got their 'look' from?

Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby BillB » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:47 pm

Just to say a big "thank you and well done" to Desmond - he has done a great service to the music tech and recording community.

Public launch of the muzines website is an incentive to get on and scan some more old SOS's!

Best regards

Bill
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Scramble » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Can you now do the all the back issues of Keyboard magazine by tomorrow please? (Actually, by tonight -- nobody likes a layabout, Desmond.)
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext