You are here

Early Sound On Sound Issues...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Early Sound On Sound Issues...

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:39 pm

Wow! I didn't expect anything so swish! This will be a very useful resource.

Very, very well done, mate!

It pained me when I had to dump all my old mags with the last house move. I offered them to everyone I could think of, but nobody would take them - entire collections of E&MM, ESM, HSR/H&SR, IM, Musicians Weekly... :frown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:39 pm

BobTheDog wrote:Fantastic job, donation made.

Awesome, thank you! 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:45 pm

The Elf wrote:It pained me when I had to dump all my old mags with the last house move. I offered them to everyone I could think of, but nobody would take them - entire collections of E&MM, ESM, HSR/H&SR, IM, Musicians Weekly... :frown:

I know - I got rid of everything bar my pre-94 SOSs, my MT's, and some Making Musics back in the late 90s - I regret getting rid of some of the other stuff now but there you go.

One of the motivations of getting this stuff online was so I no longer needed to keep boxes of mags, but not lose access to the content. Of course, so far, the end results is that I've actually got *more* mags now while everything is being scanned - but ultimately, the issues will all go on ebay (for low prices) to people who really want them and will appreciated them.

Some of the magazine price gauging is ridiculous - single issues of One Two Testing are being offered for £85! It wasn't even that good a mag! :headbang:

A couple of pounds for single issues, or £20ish for a years worth seem the right prices to me, not £10+ a copy...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Goddard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:02 pm

desmond wrote:
Goddard wrote:If you're interested, I believe scans of a few old E&MM project articles may be found amongst the various (mostly guitar and synth electronics related) articles archived here.

Thanks - scans of the odd article are not really that useful for me, as I need the complete issue to be valuable - except where an issue is complete apart from one article is damaged. But even so, I can't just take other people's scans, even if it is their content.

So we'll see what we can do in crowdsourcing complete issues, and then deal with the really obscure stuff then, I think! :)

Understood.

Meanwhile, for anyone interested, scans of various Polyphony issues can be found online here, here and here. PAIA were at one time still offering some back numbers for sale here as well.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Yamaha's "Aftertouch" is also available online (I'll dig out the link) and an almost complete collection of "Studio Sound" is available at AmericanRadioHistory but this was done without contacting the rights holders or people who worked on it, which has annoyed some folks a bit.

(No, I'm not planning on proof-reading 50 years of Studio Sound for mu:zines, sorry! :headbang:)

I'm trying to get stuff that isn't already online, and done in a useful form, and be respectful of the rights holders and copyrights, wherever possible. And there's more than enough to be getting on with! ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Goddard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:24 pm

You might consider simply listing links to other online OOP music 'zine archives/repositories (e.g. under an "external resources" section on your site).

Linking to the external archive sites where OOP 'zine issues are available online (not directly linking to 'zine issues hosted on such sites!) should not offend any legalities afaik.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:46 am

Looks like the last 9 issues of E&MM we are missing are now being contributed and scanned for mu:zines. 8-)

Crowdsourcing rocks! Things like this are exactly what I was hoping for! :angel:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:16 pm

Those very early issue E&MM covers bring back fond memories...

So, anyone wonder where Daft Punk got their 'look' from?

Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,660+ top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby BillB » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:47 pm

Just to say a big "thank you and well done" to Desmond - he has done a great service to the music tech and recording community.

Public launch of the muzines website is an incentive to get on and scan some more old SOS's!

Best regards

Bill
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Scramble » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Can you now do the all the back issues of Keyboard magazine by tomorrow please? (Actually, by tonight -- nobody likes a layabout, Desmond.)
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:00 pm

Forum Admin wrote:So, anyone wonder where Daft Punk got their 'look' from?

And seems to have also inspired the BBC Doctor Who costume design department too..!
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:01 pm

BillB wrote:Public launch of the muzines website is an incentive to get on and scan some more old SOS's!

Bill's doing a quick "humble brag" as he was the first person to scan his issues for the site - so he got the first official "You rock!" from me.. :)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:10 pm

Scramble wrote:Can you now do the all the back issues of Keyboard magazine by tomorrow please? (Actually, by tonight -- nobody likes a layabout, Desmond.)

I know, I gave my scanners a quick rest. They really hate me these days... ;)

Heh.

Keyboard and other magazines still publishing are a no-go, as the rights are an on-going commercial concern.

(SOS is the obvious exception here, but this is a special case, and only because those early episodes would not be forthcoming otherwise, so it works out for everybody. In time when Ian's less busy on the new website stuff, I've always planned to submit that content back to SOS to complete out their archive also.)

Also, I'm not tackling (at this time anyway) US magazines or US versions, as the rights situation is different - eg, the MMP magazines like "Music Technology" had a separate US offshoot company formed to publish them, and those rights went elsewhere - currently they are owned by the US "Recording" mag, whereas the UK rights went to Future.

The rights situation is tricky - in some cases, some magazines where made by small indie publishers who just folded. In other cases, publishers traded magazines and IP left right and centre, so even if you know who published a magazine back in the day, it doesn't mean you can track where that IP went as publishers were bought, sold, merged, split and so on.

Also, a last final thing - when I was researching International Musician, I wanted to try and hammer down a few dates (like first issue published dates and so on) so I ended up reading (the naming is a co-incidence!) Richard Desmond's biography, which was some interesting reading in the background of this publishing sector.

I'm hoping also to bring some behind the scenes stuff up (nothing dirty!) that some folks have promised. As Ian said, it was an interesting time... 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:07 pm

A belated thank you from me as well Desmond - this is a fascinating and well useful resource that will help us all travel more easily down memory lane Image

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:25 pm

You're welcome, chaps!

Note that if you want to be notified when new issues get added, you can either subscribe to the rss feed, or follow @mu_zines on twitter, as notifications will get posted there as well.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Scramble » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:05 pm

I'd say that if Desmond ever turns up to an SOS meet then he should have free drinks and food all day!
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Scramble wrote:I'd say that if Desmond ever turns up to an SOS meet then he should have free drinks and food all day!

I'll copy that - er, no actually desmond's already done that :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:13 am

Can't thank you enough for the effort that you've put into this. I'm really looking forward to Making Music being included.

Is there a list of the issues of mags you're currently missing anywhere?

Edit. Just found it, I foresee a trip to the loft over the bank holiday
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

#indyref/bestof3

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:12 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:Is there a list of the issues of mags you're currently missing anywhere?
Edit. Just found it,

For the publications not currently visible, go to the Contribute page, choose "Scan" or "Send" and you can choose the mags you have, and can see which ones I have and which are needed from all publications I'm currently interested in.

Dynamic Mike wrote:I foresee a trip to the loft over the bank holiday

*nods approvingly* 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Nice retrospective article of the ARP 2600 from our much missed Steve Howell (Hollowsun) just gone up in the latest MT issue added today:

ARP 2600

There is other content by him as well, including retrospectives of:-

Roland MKS80
Moog Memorymoog
Roland MC500
Roland MC4

..and a nice article featuring his synth courses at Gateway:
Gateway
desmond
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext