You are here

Early Sound On Sound Issues...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Early Sound On Sound Issues...

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:45 pm

Fancy doing this sterling work on your birthday of all days Desmond - way beyond the call of duty!! :o :?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BJG145 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Wonks wrote:It's actually Polypony, a magazine for rich kids who have more than one small horse.

I remember that! I always wanted another one.

BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Polyphony Archive now complete

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:42 am

We launched our Polyphony archive just over a week ago, and the collection is now *complete* - all 45 issues have been sourced, scanned, and PDF'd for your enjoyment.

Thanks to Mike G, Vesa L, and RetroSynthAds for filling the holes!

We will be OCR'ing Polyphony as per the rest of the mags on a rotation basis to be fully searchable etc over time, but you can download the PDF's now if you wish.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/pl/all
desmond
Jedi Poster

Re: Polyphony Archive now complete

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:35 pm

desmond wrote:We launched our Polyphony archive just over a week ago, and the collection is now *complete* - all 45 issues have been sourced, scanned, and PDF'd for your enjoyment.

Ooh - a magazine I've never heard of before that I can now read at my leisure 8-)

And it covers synth circuit mods :thumbup:

Bravo desmond! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby garrettendi » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:50 pm

I shall endeavour to trawl the site for something to read with a cuppa tea!

Thanks Desmond!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:43 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
desmond wrote:We launched our Polyphony archive just over a week ago, and the collection is now *complete* - all 45 issues have been sourced, scanned, and PDF'd for your enjoyment.

Ooh - a magazine I've never heard of before that I can now read at my leisure 8-)

Surprised you weren't aware of it, it's kind of legendary in certain circles!

I've also added another one - "Synapse"
http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/sy/all

I haven't managed to hear back from anyone regarding permissions yet, so for now I won't be adding any content (but issues #3 to #12 were posted online by the founder a few years ago and are already around on the internet if you look around).

We've sourced issue #2 and are still looking for issue #1...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:00 pm

I don't know how I didn't see this sooner, had a little browse through the SOS issue from the month I was born, really interesting (at least for someone as boring as myself!).

Great work, thanks!
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby zenguitar » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:24 pm

Luke W wrote:I had a little browse through the SOS issue from the month I was born

OH! The unintended callousness of youth. So many of the regulars here remember buying the 1st issue of SOS as an adult. The bubble has been burst, we can't pretend we're 30 somethings anymore.

:)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Luke W » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:57 pm

zenguitar wrote:
Luke W wrote:I had a little browse through the SOS issue from the month I was born

OH! The unintended callousness of youth. So many of the regulars here remember buying the 1st issue of SOS as an adult. The bubble has been burst, we can't pretend we're 30 somethings anymore.

:)

Andy :beamup:

Sorry, I'll pipe down :lol:
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Martin Walker wrote:

Craig Anderton was the Editor of Polyphony, I recall, and it became Electronic Musician magazine, which Craig edited for many moons.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,763 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:21 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Craig Anderton was the Editor of Polyphony, I recall, and it became Electronic Musician magazine, which Craig edited for many moons.

Yep - well, Marvin Jones was the founding editor, but Craig took over from him during the run, and then Polyphony eventually became EM.

I have the first two EM issues still produced by Polyphony Publishing - in content, they are still very much Polyphony, but due to the name change and potential rights issues surrounding it (EM is still a going concern), decided to not include them in the Polyphony archive, unless Craig would have said it was ok to do so.

I tried a few times to contact Craig to let him know about our plans to do the Polyphony archive, but he's a busy chap and all...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:04 pm

desmond wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:

Surprised you weren't aware of it, it's kind of legendary in certain circles!

I've also added another one - "Synapse"
http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/sy/all

Now Synapse I HAVE heard of, and indeed read a few copies :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:06 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Now Synapse I HAVE heard of, and indeed read a few copies :thumbup:

*synthesiser geek credibility restored*

:lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:13 pm

if you felt like it, you could do a spot of Wikipedia editing - eg the current entry for Synapse includes a link to "Read...issues in their entirety", but all the subsequent issue links in that old archive are broken.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:19 pm

BJG145 wrote:if you felt like it, you could do a spot of Wikipedia editing - eg the current entry for Synapse includes a link to "Read...issues in their entirety", but all the subsequent issue links in that old archive are broken.

That’s because the issues were originally posted at Cyndustries, but the site went offline and when it was rebuilt, the issues were never reposted.

As we don’t have any official permissions to provide the content yet, there’s not much point in making much effort to point people to mu:zines, for now...

But yes, many old links out there are broken, including blog articles and so on...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Previous