You are here

Early Sound On Sound Issues...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Early Sound On Sound Issues...

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:00 pm

Forum Admin wrote:So, anyone wonder where Daft Punk got their 'look' from?

And seems to have also inspired the BBC Doctor Who costume design department too..!
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:01 pm

BillB wrote:Public launch of the muzines website is an incentive to get on and scan some more old SOS's!

Bill's doing a quick "humble brag" as he was the first person to scan his issues for the site - so he got the first official "You rock!" from me.. :)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:10 pm

Scramble wrote:Can you now do the all the back issues of Keyboard magazine by tomorrow please? (Actually, by tonight -- nobody likes a layabout, Desmond.)

I know, I gave my scanners a quick rest. They really hate me these days... ;)

Heh.

Keyboard and other magazines still publishing are a no-go, as the rights are an on-going commercial concern.

(SOS is the obvious exception here, but this is a special case, and only because those early episodes would not be forthcoming otherwise, so it works out for everybody. In time when Ian's less busy on the new website stuff, I've always planned to submit that content back to SOS to complete out their archive also.)

Also, I'm not tackling (at this time anyway) US magazines or US versions, as the rights situation is different - eg, the MMP magazines like "Music Technology" had a separate US offshoot company formed to publish them, and those rights went elsewhere - currently they are owned by the US "Recording" mag, whereas the UK rights went to Future.

The rights situation is tricky - in some cases, some magazines where made by small indie publishers who just folded. In other cases, publishers traded magazines and IP left right and centre, so even if you know who published a magazine back in the day, it doesn't mean you can track where that IP went as publishers were bought, sold, merged, split and so on.

Also, a last final thing - when I was researching International Musician, I wanted to try and hammer down a few dates (like first issue published dates and so on) so I ended up reading (the naming is a co-incidence!) Richard Desmond's biography, which was some interesting reading in the background of this publishing sector.

I'm hoping also to bring some behind the scenes stuff up (nothing dirty!) that some folks have promised. As Ian said, it was an interesting time... 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:07 pm

A belated thank you from me as well Desmond - this is a fascinating and well useful resource that will help us all travel more easily down memory lane Image

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:25 pm

You're welcome, chaps!

Note that if you want to be notified when new issues get added, you can either subscribe to the rss feed, or follow @mu_zines on twitter, as notifications will get posted there as well.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Scramble » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:05 pm

I'd say that if Desmond ever turns up to an SOS meet then he should have free drinks and food all day!
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Scramble wrote:I'd say that if Desmond ever turns up to an SOS meet then he should have free drinks and food all day!

I'll copy that - er, no actually desmond's already done that :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:13 am

Can't thank you enough for the effort that you've put into this. I'm really looking forward to Making Music being included.

Is there a list of the issues of mags you're currently missing anywhere?

Edit. Just found it, I foresee a trip to the loft over the bank holiday
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Keeping 2 chevrons apart

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:12 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:Is there a list of the issues of mags you're currently missing anywhere?
Edit. Just found it,

For the publications not currently visible, go to the Contribute page, choose "Scan" or "Send" and you can choose the mags you have, and can see which ones I have and which are needed from all publications I'm currently interested in.

Dynamic Mike wrote:I foresee a trip to the loft over the bank holiday

*nods approvingly* 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Nice retrospective article of the ARP 2600 from our much missed Steve Howell (Hollowsun) just gone up in the latest MT issue added today:

ARP 2600

There is other content by him as well, including retrospectives of:-

Roland MKS80
Moog Memorymoog
Roland MC500
Roland MC4

..and a nice article featuring his synth courses at Gateway:
Gateway
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby MikeGorman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:32 am

Congratulations on getting this site up and working.

This is something I have talked about doing for years "Talked" being the operative phrase. I have copies of all of the magazines you have listed, as well as quite a few on your wish list. I expect your site will give me the required kick in the backside to get these scanned.

I also collect electronics magazines and it was synthesisers that got my collection started (the PE Sound Synthesiser from 1973). I've been working with some folks to compile a list of interesting Electro-Music articles and these are available on the SDIY Wiki.

Lastly, another interesting related site is American Radio History, where you can find scans of Studio Sound, amongst many other interesting old magazines.

Regards

Mike
MikeGorman
Poster
Looking forward to SynthFest 2018

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:05 am

Hi Mike - yes, we'll chat on Slack. :-)

As I've said elsewhere, I don't plan on trying to get Studio Sound onto mu:zines as I'm really focused on building up content that is not available elsewhere - as you say, there is a nearly complete archive of Studio Sound online at ARH (all 50 years worth!) for people that are interested.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Big props mate. I noticed this over the weekend and was reading MT as 3am ... just like the old days... ;)

What surprises me is how a year was such a long time in those days. The time from DX7 to D50 (which was a big leap) was only 4 years or so..
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:41 pm

Dave B wrote:Big props mate. I noticed this over the weekend and was reading MT as 3am ... just like the old days... ;)

Heh 8-) - thanks!

Got some great magazine donors popping out of the woodwork, so pretty happy that we should be able to complete these collections quite a lot more easily than I could have hoped for... 8-)

Really grateful for people who can scan things so that I don't have to do them *all*... :D
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:36 am

And, our E&MM collection is now complete - I have all 68 issues, and a first E&MM is up on the site now.
desmond
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext