You are here

Early Sound On Sound Issues...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Early Sound On Sound Issues...

Postby MikeGorman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:32 am

Congratulations on getting this site up and working.

This is something I have talked about doing for years "Talked" being the operative phrase. I have copies of all of the magazines you have listed, as well as quite a few on your wish list. I expect your site will give me the required kick in the backside to get these scanned.

I also collect electronics magazines and it was synthesisers that got my collection started (the PE Sound Synthesiser from 1973). I've been working with some folks to compile a list of interesting Electro-Music articles and these are available on the SDIY Wiki.

Lastly, another interesting related site is American Radio History, where you can find scans of Studio Sound, amongst many other interesting old magazines.

Regards

Mike
MikeGorman
Poster
Looking forward to SynthFest 2018

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:05 am

Hi Mike - yes, we'll chat on Slack. :-)

As I've said elsewhere, I don't plan on trying to get Studio Sound onto mu:zines as I'm really focused on building up content that is not available elsewhere - as you say, there is a nearly complete archive of Studio Sound online at ARH (all 50 years worth!) for people that are interested.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Big props mate. I noticed this over the weekend and was reading MT as 3am ... just like the old days... ;)

What surprises me is how a year was such a long time in those days. The time from DX7 to D50 (which was a big leap) was only 4 years or so..
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:41 pm

Dave B wrote:Big props mate. I noticed this over the weekend and was reading MT as 3am ... just like the old days... ;)

Heh 8-) - thanks!

Got some great magazine donors popping out of the woodwork, so pretty happy that we should be able to complete these collections quite a lot more easily than I could have hoped for... 8-)

Really grateful for people who can scan things so that I don't have to do them *all*... :D
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:36 am

And, our E&MM collection is now complete - I have all 68 issues, and a first E&MM is up on the site now.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:21 pm

Well done desmond!!!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:07 pm

And next to complete is SOS's short-lived sister publication, Recording Musician - we now have all 11 issues, which are all in the pipeline.

Thanks for Mike Gorman for scanning the missing issues!

The outstanding MT and SOS issues are continuing to be donated, with more coming in from Mike and some other donors. We should be able to have complete collections of these before too long also.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:59 pm

Great news. Looking forward to re-reading these mags.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:19 am

A good archive for a wide range of stuff is https://archive.org/

Apologies if it's already been posted somewhere. I'm currently working my way through editions of Crash & Sinclair User...The thread on user shortcuts & programmable keyboards reminded me I used to have a programmable interface which let you edit keystrokes via a patchbay!
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

#indyref/bestof3

Postby desmond » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:06 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:A good archive for a wide range of stuff is https://archive.org/

Indeed, it's a treasure trove of old stuff, including audio and tv programmes - although I find it's "organisation" is rather random (it tends to be a single category, and then a whole bunch of stuff dumped into it, making browsing a bit frustrating).

Eventually, some years down the line, and where permissions allow I'll probably upload complete PDF archives of all the old stuff we've collected onto archive.org for the long haul.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Goddard » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:34 pm

Nice.

Btw, all 28 issues of another short-lived* sister publication, Performing Musician & Live Sound World, are available online here.

(*Oct '07~Jan '10)
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:37 am

desmond wrote:
Dynamic Mike wrote:A good archive for a wide range of stuff is https://archive.org/

Indeed, it's a treasure trove of old stuff, including audio and tv programmes - although I find it's "organisation" is rather random (it tends to be a single category, and then a whole bunch of stuff dumped into it, making browsing a bit frustrating).
Agreed. There is no discernable organisation & the search facility is useless. I tried to show Mrs Mike a magazine I'd happened across & spent hours trying to locate it again. I love the layout & functionality of your site, so please at least keep the links if you upload to archive.org.

Slightly OT but is anyone else surprised at just how many magazine covers are instantly recognisable? I'm mean you can tell just from the cover that it's one that you bought 30+ years ago. In some cases I can even remember which shop/station I bought it from!
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

#indyref/bestof3

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:50 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:I love the layout & functionality of your site, so please at least keep the links if you upload to archive.org.

Yes, the site will stay, the archive.org upload will be an additional resource.

Dynamic Mike wrote:Slightly OT but is anyone else surprised at just how many magazine covers are instantly recognisable? I'm mean you can tell just from the cover that it's one that you bought 30+ years ago. In some cases I can even remember which shop/station I bought it from!

Absolutely! Those things are burned in my brain, for sure. This was all pre-internet, so as a kid it was the only way music tech news came into my life, so those things were poured over for a long time...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Interesting to work out which of your collegues were brought up on "Tape Op" (semi-mystical nostalgia plus gear-lust), "Hi-Fi News" (Magic cables, green marker pens plus gear-lust), "Sound on Sound" (not exclusively gear-lust), Gearslutz (well, at least the name's honest)...
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby BJG145 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:44 am

Since this is now an an official source for early SOS, maybe the announcement could be a sticky in the relevant forum...?

mu:zines
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:30 am

BJG145 wrote:Since this is now an an official source for early SOS, maybe the announcement could be a sticky in the relevant forum...?

Good idea. I've made it sticky in the News forum.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby desmond » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks!

There'll be another classic SOS issue up later today, and we've nearly collected the whole early SOS run (should be complete in a week or two, we have new donations coming in)... 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Goddard » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:44 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:Interesting to work out which of your collegues were brought up on "Tape Op" (semi-mystical nostalgia plus gear-lust), "Hi-Fi News" (Magic cables, green marker pens plus gear-lust), "Sound on Sound" (not exclusively gear-lust), Gearslutz (well, at least the name's honest)...

Don't forget the 'ProRec' webzine from the late '90s, with such seminal DAW DIY articles as this and especially this one which launched thousands of 'Roll Yer Own' homebuilts.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Thu May 05, 2016 1:29 pm

So of the 98 pre-1994 SOS issues, we now have all but 2.

So if anyone has SOS June 1992 and/or April 1993, if you could donate your issues for the site, that would be great!

Note: These are hard-spined issues, which means to scan them decently, the magazines will need to have the pages separated (this is what I have done to all my hard spined issues), so if you can donate your issues for the site, it will be a permanent donation ;)

Getting there! 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu May 05, 2016 1:42 pm

Good work!

H
Hugh Robjohns

PreviousNext