You are here

Early Sound On Sound Issues...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Early Sound On Sound Issues...

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 05, 2016 8:39 pm

What a resource - a Tardis of Technology!! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Thu May 05, 2016 8:51 pm

Apologies for the downtime at the moment, my webhost seems to be down and so are a lot of other people's sites... This is twice this week now, annoying... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Zukan » Sat May 07, 2016 11:09 am

Well done Desmond.

When you're done could you do the same for the very early Penthouse mags?
It is for a university paper.............of course.
Zukan

Postby desmond » Sat May 07, 2016 11:45 am

Zukan wrote:When you're done could you do the same for the very early Penthouse mags?

I'd love to, of course.

Slight problem - it's the same publisher (Northern & Shell) as International Musician, Electronic Soundmaker and One Two Testing, and so far, they've ignored all my attempts to contact them to ask permissions to include the above mags.

So they don't seem to be listening, at the moment.

Was there much musical content in Penthouse..? :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat May 07, 2016 8:56 pm

desmond wrote:Was there much musical content in Penthouse..? :headbang:

Yes of course - the pictures were on a huge scale, and a made a note of every one! Image

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Zukan » Sun May 08, 2016 11:26 am

Martin's right.

I particularly liked their June 1973 edition on racks.
Zukan

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 08, 2016 2:28 pm

B-dum-tish!

I thank you... ;)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby desmond » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:55 am

SOS Issues for all of 1985 and 1986 are done and live now.

Moving into 1987... :headbang: :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:51 am

Well done desmond! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby zenguitar » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:54 am

Martin Walker wrote:Well done desmond! 8-)

Martin

+10

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Well done Desmond -- really impressed!

The question is, will you get up to 1994 before the SOS site gets down to it from 2006?
:lol: RACE!

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby desmond » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The question is, will you get up to 1994 before the SOS site gets down to it from 2006?
:lol: RACE!

Heh! It's a web-off between me and IG..!

Place yer bets! ;)

(Smart money says stick with the guy that only has *one* publication to handle.. ;) .)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:29 am

The first issue of SOS Publications' "Recording Musician" (July 1992) is now up.

Great magazine, if you didn't catch it before it got rolled into SOS.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/rm

Looks like Paul White basically wrote the whole issue, give or take a few small things. He's such a taskmaster, that Gilby fella..! :headbang:

We have all issues of RM scanned, and they are all in the (lengthy!) pipeline.

(Thanks once again to SOS for permission to archive the mag!)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:57 pm

Some updates on progress:

*Finally* a generous donor came up with the last Sound On Sound issue we needed to complete the early SOS collection - so that's SOS, RM and E&MM complete!

We still have one issue of MT we need (MT April 1994) to complete the MT run (so close!), and we're still obviously collecting, scanning, and publishing content bit by bit.

I've also made visible on the site a bunch of extra publications that we are collecting and *hope* to bring to mu:zines (but which we haven't yet been able to contact or get responses from the rights holders) - these include Making Music, International Musician, Electronic Soundmaker, One Two Testing and more... This should let people see more easily what we have, what we are missing, and to encourage donations.

I've also got a book scanner coming which should make scanning the hard spined magazine issues easier, without needing to destroy the magazines.

Lastly, had a good chat with James at the Hyman Archive, who if you're not aware, has a *massive* project to collect, digitise and archive *all* magazines across media, music, entertainment, film, arts and more - they currently have well over 100,000 magazines.

So yes, that rather dwarfs my little niche effort! :lol: , but we have similar attitudes on the value of this content and the willingness to do something about it, before we lose a huge amount of our culture. For some reasons, while we as a society value art, books, sculpture, music, and film, we haven't really regarded magazine content as much more than disposable trash, rather than the rich source of cultural reference, illustration and photography that it is.

So my hard copies, when I'm done with scanning them, will mostly go there to find a permanent home (he actually doesn't have much in our niche, interestingly.) and I'm looking forward to visiting them and talking rights management and digitisation.

Onward!
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:55 am

Bravo Desmond! :clap:

Yours is a brave undertaking, even if the Hyman Archive is somewhat larger, and we thank you for it - many of these magazines contributed to my knowledge and experience over the years, so it's wonderful to have them on tap as it were.

Thank you :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:38 am

:thumbup: 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:35 pm

It is indeed a superb resource and we are all indebted to you for taking it on and delivering such excellent resources.

Having just had another rummage around the site, I particularly liked the timeline chart which is very helpful indeed. However, could I suggest some small tweaks?

A minor graphical thing is that a couple of the blobs are cut-off for some reason (for One Two Testing and Music UK).

More importantly, you list Studio Sound as running from 1959, which isn't strictly true.

The magazine was called 'Tape Recorder' from Feb 1959 up until the start of 1970, and it was only fully badged as Studio Sound from October 1970.

In fact there was a cross-over period during 1970, when the Studio SOund title was first tentatively introduced in February 1970. So the magazine went from being titled just 'Tape Recorder', to 'Studio Sound and Tape Recorder', but with the emphasis still very much on on 'Tape Recorder'.

The Studio Sound part became the more dominant partner in May 1970, and then the title changed to 'Studio Sound Incorporating Tape Recorder' for a few months (July, Aug, Sept) before evolving finally, into just Studio Sound in October 1970.

As you know, Studio Sound was closed with the December 2001 issue, but for completeness I think you should also include on your chart Resolution Magazine as this is the direct descendent of Studio Sound.

Resolution is an independent publication but it was started by the former editor of Studio Sound with the specific aim of maintaining the same kind of editorial content and standards of that magazine in its heyday. Resolution started in May 2002 and is still being published today.

You might also want to incorporate Audio Media, and Sound On Sound's other sister titles such as Sound On Stage, Sound Pro, Performing Musician...

Hope that helps.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Having just had another rummage around the site, I particularly liked the timeline chart which is very helpful indeed. However, could I suggest some small tweaks?

Sure!

BTW More publishing info is *always* welcome, particularly from people with expert knowledge - I have done a lot of research (heck, I even read Richard Desmond's biography!), but things develop over time as more info comes in, so it gets refined along the way.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:A minor graphical thing is that a couple of the blobs are cut-off for some reason (for One Two Testing and Music UK).

These are publications where I have not officially confirmed the last issue (this is also indicated in the text popup when you hover over it) - in these cases, the last issue I know about or have seen is plotted. When I'm confident the official last issue is known, they will become round blobs. So there *is* a reason! :)

Hugh Robjohns wrote:More importantly, you list Studio Sound as running from 1959, which isn't strictly true.

The magazine was called 'Tape Recorder' from Feb 1959 up until the start of 1970, and it was only fully badged as Studio Sound from October 1970.

In fact there was a cross-over period during 1970, when the Studio SOund title was first tentatively introduced in February 1970. So the magazine went from being titled just 'Tape Recorder', to 'Studio Sound and Tape Recorder', but with the emphasis still very much on on 'Tape Recorder'.

The Studio Sound part became the more dominant partner in May 1970, and then the title changed to 'Studio Sound Incorporating Tape Recorder' for a few months (July, Aug, Sept) before evolving finally, into just Studio Sound in October 1970.

Good to know. Will update my notes accordingly :)

Hugh Robjohns wrote:As you know, Studio Sound was closed with the December 2001 issue, but for completeness I think you should also include on your chart Resolution Magazine as this is the direct descendent of Studio Sound.

Resolution is an independent publication but it was started by the former editor of Studio Sound with the specific aim of maintaining the same kind of editorial content and standards of that magazine in its heyday. Resolution started in May 2002 and is still being published today.

Thanks - I knew about the existence of Resolution, but didn't know much more about it.

In fact, there are a good few other "audio production" (as opposed to "music production") magazines, including SOS-founded AudioMedia and others - I tend to regard these more as trade/professional magazines and are outside the initial, fairly defined scope of what I'm trying to do - so I haven't researched into these too much, and nor do I plan on trying to archive them at this time (my current scope is wide enough for now! This may change in the future - maybe when we have done the bulk of the work with the current publication scope we might think about widening it to include some of these others.)

But, as far as the publishing timeline goes, I agree it would be useful to lock down dates for some of those publications, and to at least include them on the publishing timeline, so I'll add it to my list of things to look at.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:You might also want to incorporate Audio Media, and Sound On Sound's other sister titles such as Sound On Stage, Sound Pro, Performing Musician...

Yes, some of those are in my database but aren't visible on the public site - Sound On Stage & Performing Musician I think are valid for inclusion and have always being in the system (and I'm sure the SOS powers-that-be would likely be fine with including them) but at this time I don't have any issues, and they don't turn up much. I think also some of these issues are off the table to archive with me as they already exist in SOS's online archive. But they are on my radar, and agree they should really be in the publishing timeline (which would need to be upgraded a bit to highlight what we are archiving and what we are not etc).

For things like Audio Media, which I have some issues of (I actually did have the editor of Audio Media contact me who has a full collection of these and other things), but I think if I included all the audio mags, I would be OCR'ing magazines for the rest of my life!!

There might be some other solution for these (there are several viable options for this), as it would be good to have this content online of course - it's just not my personal project as the music stuff has more of a value to me.

*If* I can build up a community of people willing to help, and build out the toolset into a more collaborative process, then it might be more feasible to include this stuff without me having to be a bottleneck for everything - and this kind of thing is on my radar, but doing that work to extend the CMS is a significant effort and for where we are now, that effort is best spent elsewhere...

Thanks Hugh - all feedback or extra info is always welcomed!
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:28 pm

desmond wrote: These are publications where I have not officially confirmed the last issue (this is also indicated in the text popup when you hover over it)

Ah -- apologies -- I hadn't realised it was an interactive chart! Makes perfect sense now, thanks. ;)

Thanks - I knew about the existence of Resolution, but didn't know much more about it.

Fair enough. As you say, the waters start to get muddied when trying to differentiate between music production and audio production, but if you're going to include Studio Sound -- and I agree that you should -- Resolution needs to be there too as it really is its natural heir. ;)

But, as far as the publishing timeline goes, I agree it would be useful to lock down dates for some of those publications, and to at least include them on the publishing timeline, so I'll add it to my list of things to look at.

Thanks -- I do think that would be a helpful and worthwhile addition to the timeline chart as time and research allows, but I'm certainly not suggesting you should add the actual content to your archives. That really would be a step beyond!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:34 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Fair enough. As you say, the waters start to get muddied when trying to differentiate between music production and audio production, but if you're going to include Studio Sound -- and I agree that you should -- Resolution needs to be there too as it really is its natural heir. ;)

Yes, completely agree... I'll have a look at improving this. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext