You are here

NEW FORUM / SITE - User Tips

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: NEW FORUM / SITE - User Tips

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Pauly99 wrote:This is a screenimage of what it looks like on my PC. As you can see, mostly empty space.

Ah yes... but what is there is beautifully crafted... :lol:

Seriously, though, it is what it is for good reasons. The forum is an integral part of the entire website now, rather than an entirely standalone entity as it was previously, and so it now shares the same style and sizing, (and -- importantly -- mobile-friendliness) as the rest of the site.

Moreover, the forum text window is around 100 characters wide which is already on the long side of the optimum for readability. There are no plans to make it any wider.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Where is Readers' Ads?

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:38 am

forumuser838999 wrote:I can't see the readers ads at all. I'm used to seeing a link to them in the top level nav but it's not there, nor can I see it in the bottom nav. The old URL for readers ads now 404s.

Does this mean you've stopped doing readers ads??

No, we never stopped doing them, initially we just kept them as UK-only for around 9 days whilst we completed Geo-IP functionality. The old URL maps to the View All Ads page here, try it: http://www.soundonsound.com/readersads Everyone globally can once again access/view/use Readers' Ads if they wish.

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 09.36.13.png

The access points now are 2/3 red buttons on the right column below the tall skyscraper banner ad. When on the actual R/Ads pages, these buttons move up and the categories/search is below.

You're right -- at the moment there is no Readers' Ads link in the black footer at the very bottom of every web page-- this will be restored on Monday.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,112 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:21 am

How do you delete a post? I just posted something then realised the thread was 7 years old. I click on edit but I can't see a delete button.

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:08 am

Pre the change, in posting there was an option of pressing "Reply" and the username of the person you were replying to appeared at the top of the new post. Now that option no longer exists.

Not hard to work with that new limitation, but now on all threads prior to the change, where the "Reply" option was used, the username of the person being replied to no longer appears. We cant tell who was being replied to. Makes it harder to understand the reason for such posts.

Tim
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:20 am

Salty Dog wrote:How do you delete a post? I just posted something then realised the thread was 7 years old. I click on edit but I can't see a delete button.

There was no Delete function on the old forum... you currently will need to Report the topic using the button in the icons by the topic/post title (it's the circular one with ! exclamation mark in it; hovering over shows you a tool-tip).

Give your reason and one of the Mods will delete it for you.
Forum Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:24 am

Tim Gillett wrote:Pre the change, in posting there was an option of pressing "Reply" and the username of the person you were replying to appeared at the top of the new post. Now that option no longer exists.

Not hard to work with that new limitation, but now on all threads prior to the change, where the "Reply" option was used, the username of the person being replied to no longer appears. We cant tell who was being replied to. Makes it harder to understand the reason for such posts.

Yes, the old forum software had 2 view options: Flat or Threaded, and offered the function. This software does not. You can either put the person's name before your text, for instance:

@Tim - Thanks for that...

or you may use the Quote function, which leaves no doubt as it includes their name for you. Tip: only quote the parts of the text that you are responding to please, to avoid swathes of quoted/nested text -- it all helps. :thumbup:
Forum Admin

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:48 pm

Forum Admin wrote:There was no Delete function on the old forum...

Honest, guv, there was! It was present during the same 45 minute window for editing. I used it a few times as well when I shot from the hip and thought better of it seconds later. May I humbly request a Delete button be added to the list of enhancements? Not high priority, but it'll also save workload for the Mods, God bless 'em.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Kwackman » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:47 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:
Forum Admin wrote:There was no Delete function on the old forum...

Honest, guv, there was!

Agreed. I used it at least once.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Previous