You are here

Magazine Articles - only to 2006?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Magazine Articles - only to 2006?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:51 pm

It appears to me that the articles archive only goes back to 2006?

I was just expounding on how good Paul Whites 1990's articles on MIDI were - and posted the link to about a 100 composers on Facebook - and you go and remove it!

Why??
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: Magazine Articles - only to 2006?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:53 pm

Honestly SOS -

You have totally wrecked your archive - your new article system superficial in the extreme - sorry to have to say that.

Please - put the article archive back to the way it was - nobody will use this new system!
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:03 pm

It has been explained elsewhere in the various new forum threads several times that, CURRENTLY, the article archives only go back to 2005/6. The reason is that the individual articles all need updated taxonomy and layouts to sit in the new website style, and the team have completed the last ten years' worth so far.

The entire digital archive back to 1994 WILL be made available as soon as possible, but it takes time to do and it was decided for a variety of reasons that it was better (for SOS) to launch the new site with partial archives, rather than delay it further and spend more effort maintaining the old site until the whole archive was updated.

Hopefully, as soon as the initial changeover tweakery is complete the team can get back to updating and rebuilding the archives.

In the interim, a web archive is available here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160401194 ... Issues.php

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby zxf » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:56 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It has been explained elsewhere in the various new forum threads several times that, CURRENTLY, the article archives only go back to 2005/6. The reason is that the individual articles all need updated taxonomy and layouts to sit in the new website style, and the team have completed the last ten years' worth so far.

The entire digital archive back to 1994 WILL be made available as soon as possible, but it takes time to do and it was decided for a variety of reasons that it was better (for SOS) to launch the new site with partial archives, rather than delay it further and spend more effort maintaining the old site until the whole archive was updated.

Hopefully, as soon as the initial changeover tweakery is complete the team can get back to updating and rebuilding the archives.

In the interim, a web archive is available here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160401194 ... Issues.php

H

If ever something deserved to be stickied it is this information. I, and I'm sure many other people are freaking out. a lot of these articles are very important to me and I have been going back to for years, I would hate to lose them!
zxf

Postby zenguitar » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:15 am

zxf wrote:If ever something deserved to be stickied it is this information. I, and I'm sure many other people are freaking out. a lot of these articles are very important to me and I have been going back to for years, I would hate to lose them!

Your wish is my command, I've made this thread sticky. :)

Think of it all as a cunning ploy to make a long term site user join the forum :D

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby zxf » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:17 am

zenguitar wrote:
Your wish is my command, I've made this thread sticky. :)

Think of it all as a cunning ploy to make a long term site user join the forum :D

Andy :beamup:

Thanks!!! I hope this information will qualm any fears anyone else had. I thought "did they lose data in the update? did they think the articles weren't worth keeping anymore? oh no!!!" :lol:
And, admittedly I have been a lurker all this time, but I will definitely join in the community more since i now see you are all so cool. Again, thanks for your service.
zxf

Postby DePulse » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:39 am

The problem is not just the missing pre 2005 reviews, it that the URLs have all been changed without a redirect. Click on any link from any other website to old SOS reviews and you end up in the search page of SOS.
DePulse
Regular
TritonExtrMOSS/EX800, NordRack2, ATC1, D550/XV5080/MKS70/MKS7/MKS50/MKS80/S550/JP8080/Ju60/JD990, Blofeld, Mopho, TG77/An1X, ESQM, Emax, Esynth, AkaiS5k/MPC1k, Indigo2, Rogue, Machinedrum, ProOne

Postby desmond » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:57 am

DePulse wrote:The problem is not just the missing pre 2005 reviews, it that the URLs have all been changed without a redirect. Click on any link from any other website to old SOS reviews and you end up in the search page of SOS.

It's not a problem. If you click on an old link to an article which is on the current site, it should work - the url's should be translated (if it doesn't give the mods the link for them to take a look at).

(Maintaining old links is usually a primary concern when re-designing a content-heavy website, and there are tools for it.)

The only links that don't work (currently) are for articles that (for the time being) don't exist in the new site. And as they get processed and appear, the old links should still go on working.

And yes, probably a better error page message would be ideal ("This article is not currently on the site" - "Here's the article status and what we're doing about it" type thing).
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

pre-Aug 2005 Magazine Articles - use this archive

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:53 pm

desmond wrote:The only links that don't work (currently) are for articles that (for the time being) don't exist in the new site. And as they get processed and appear, the old links should still go on working.

And yes, probably a better error page message would be ideally ("This article is not currently on the site" - "Here's the article status and what we're doing about it" type thing).

We got around very quickly to activating a proper "alert". FYI, it could not be put in place prior to launching the new site as the old URLs had to keep on working, and it took us a while to work through our list of things to do after launching the new site -- and we had to come here to answer questions. :-)

Any old SOS article in Google etc with /SOS/* in its URL (all legacy articles have this) that is not yet on this new site, redirects visitors to a landing page on this site where we have explained what's occurring and have placed a link to the WebArchive.org's 'Wayback Machine' archives that they maintain of soundonsound.com site pages.

I believe every article from June 2015 going back to January 1994 can be found on the legacy site there. It looks just like the old site but obviously non of the database-driven back end functions any longer. You can, however, find articles and open/read them there.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,958 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF