You are here

How do I unsubscribe from SOS emails

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

How do I unsubscribe from SOS emails

Postby Mac.Dyson » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:49 pm

I think the heading says it all. Tried looking at my personal page but nothing I could see.
I'm just finding the new glossy website unusable for me. It's kinda boring now - pictures too large, information too hard to navigate. It just seems to be a publicity avenue - fair enough but no fun.
Gonna stick with buying the print mags from local newsagent and enjoying catching up on the good old days on Desmond's mu:zines site.
Mac
Mac.Dyson
Regular

Re: How do I unsubscribe from SOS emails

Postby zenguitar » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi Mac,

you have two personal pages here on the new site. Within the forums you have My Control Panel, if you follow that link you will be taken to your front page. There are a couple of grey buttons there labelled Overview and Frontpage. If you hover your mouse over them you will see drop down menus. Under the Overview button you will find Board Preferences. This is where you can control the emails generated in the forums.

For the general emails about the Magazine etc. you need to go to the very top of the page and access the My Account option. Go to the edit tab, and there you will see a tab labelled Mailing Lists. This is where you will find the options you need.

I would encourage you to persevere with the new site. Things have moved and it does take a while to get used to the new navigation tools. But I genuinely prefer the new site to the old.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Mac.Dyson » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:51 am

Thanks for that - now sorted.
I just think the site's current style of design 'fetish' ("give them lots of huge photos - they'll love the colour") takes up far too much screen real estate. Now when I open up the front page I get direct sight of about 20% of the information that was available on the old design - maybe even less. And reducing the size of the page does exactly that - it just becomes a smaller narrower (!) version
Just realised that actually the scaling is also a bit bizarre in the context of the ever tinier LPX!
Anyway ... to each their own,
Cheers, Mac
Mac.Dyson
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:16 am

Hi Mac.Dyson,

Sorry to hear you're disappointed at the changes.

We wanted to increase image size because, from web stats, we'd found that not as many people as we'd thought ever bothered to click on the previously smaller thumbnail images to open the larger view.

With ever-more-detailed screenshots used in our Reviews and Techniques articles, and studio shots of racks of gear etc, we thought our readers would enjoy being able to see the detail more easily. It's certainly not about about a fetish for giving them "lots of colour". :) Too many of the screenshots of software are dark grey and hard to read even when bigger!

Apart from the forum pages, the main site page size is very close to what the central text area of the legacy site's reviews articles was.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,013 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Baddcr » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:21 pm

This is ridiculous - 1 click link to unsubscribe is respectful - this absurd pile of crap is just time wasting abuse!

Please fix, even with this convoluted and insane instructions I still couldn't find out how to unsubscribe from your advertisements!

Not so bad when it's actual emails with real content, but it's just spam and nothing else at the moment and I am not interested. It's gone right downhill into the gutter.

Please unsubscribe from all emails to retain any degree of respect from me, I do not expect to have to do anything else to unsubscribe. If I do then you can close my account.

Thanks.
Baddcr

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:51 pm

Baddcr wrote:...even with this convoluted and insane instructions I still couldn't find out how to unsubscribe from your advertisements!

It really is incredibly simple to manage your mailing preferences.

1. When logged in to the site, click on the red MY ACCOUNT tab at the top of the website

2. Click on the grey EDIT tab

3. Click on the blue MAILING LISTS tab

4. Untick the five mailing list options

5. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the SAVE button

6. Click on the House symbol (top left) to return to the main site.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:18 pm

Baddcr wrote:Please unsubscribe from all emails to retain any degree of respect from me, I do not expect to have to do anything else to unsubscribe. If I do then you can close my account.

Hi S,

Hugh's instructions are right, but I've taken the liberty of doing it for you.
Forum Admin

Postby Ellis Sutehall » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:22 pm

You can also find a link in the footer called "My eNewsletter Mailing Lists" which will take you straight there. You'll need to be logged in however.
Ellis Sutehall
Regular
Web Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:25 pm

BTW, we never send spam emailshots -- they either relate to events SOS is involved with, or they are new product announcements or special offers on behalf of advertisers of gear/software that SOS covers (and presumably partly what you read SOS for?).

This is partly how SOS earns revenue and keeps the mag and site alive.

IMHO spam is all the non-targeted crap one receives daily from insurance companies, scammers, etc.
Forum Admin

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:10 pm

Ellis Sutehall wrote:You can also find a link in the footer called "My eNewsletter Mailing Lists" which will take you straight there.

:geek: Excellent! Didn't know that link was there. Thanks Ellis. Useful to know.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound