You are here

Daily summaries of followed forums - have they gone?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Daily summaries of followed forums - have they gone?

Postby BillB » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:55 pm

Sincere apologies if this has already been covered - searching "Daily" and "Notification" didn't bring anything up.

I used to have 'Daily summary email' set for my favourite five or so SOS forums. There doesn't seem to be any option to do that now. The only option seems to be to get notified of every new post in a subscribed forum, and then choose to follow any thread or not, and if following have to view that thread - or not get any more notifications. So if I don't actively respond to any posting notifications, I won't get to see any more about it. With the old system, i could quickly review everything I was interested in and decide whether to view or join the thread, or not.

The upshot of this is that, instead of having a single distraction every morning, from a compilation of Forum threads and comments, I now have several distractions an hour, if I want to keep in touch with the threads I am interested in.

Much preferred the old notification system - but am I missing something?
(ps - like the site changes over all!)
BillB
Frequent Poster

Re: Daily summaries of followed forums - have they gone?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:58 pm

BillB wrote:I used to have 'Daily summary email' set for my favourite five or so SOS forums. There doesn't seem to be any option to do that now.

I may be wrong -- still learning the new software -- but I don't believe the new Forum software has this summary function I'm afraid.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi Bill,

Hugh's right, there's no daily summary notification.

We chose phpBB partly because the features you describe in your OP were exactly what many who disliked the old forum's daily summary (which by default was always at least 24 hours out of date) wanted to keep them in touch with new posts to topics they were watching/had contributed to. The Subscribe topic and Subscribe forum button functions (found at the end of the topic posts and forum topic lists) permit this, at least.

It doesn't bombard you with emails -- it sends you one notification alerting you to a new post by member XYZ , and leaves it for you to click the link and read that post and any ones subsequently posted.

(You never know, phpBB -- the makers of this forum software -- might add a daily summary function to a future upgrade.)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,013 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby BillB » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:25 pm

OK chaps, thanks for the answers. Just my preferences, I guess, so I'll have to figure out how to manage the new system. Perhaps auto-file forum notification emails and look at them later.
BillB
Frequent Poster