You are here

Annual Grouse: Soundcloud Clip Previews

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Annual Grouse: Soundcloud Clip Previews

Postby Suntower » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:00 am

You USED to have an MP3 player which let one preview the various audio clips WITHOUT having to download massive ZIPs.

Look, before I dig in and read a detailed article like a MixRescue, I like to hear at least a -bit- of the song (before/after) before I do a 100MB download and then UNzip and so on. It's a right PITA.

If you have a Soundcloud player, why not have the at least -some- preview of the track both before and after... AS YOU USED TO DO a few years ago.

NB: I've been grousing about this for years. It has nowt to do with the new Drupal site.

TIA,

---JC
Suntower
Regular

Re: Annual Grouse: Soundcloud Clip Previews

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:13 am

I have made a request for the embedded Soundcloud player to be reintroduced on Mix Rescue, for the Before and After audio clips.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,958 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Suntower » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Forum Admin wrote:I have made a request for the embedded Soundcloud player to be reintroduced on Mix Rescue, for the Before and After audio clips.

You da man.

---JC
Suntower
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:43 pm

Excellent news Ian - I myself have sometimes debated whether or not to download an entire 80MB of audio files before I can hear how interesting they are to my particular ears ;)

The Soundcloud player will no doubt prove to be a wonderful reinstatement that's appreciated by many 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Suntower » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:47 pm

Not to be too officious, but my request is actually for the Soundcloud dealie to be present -wherever- there is a 'sound'. I don't think the MixRescue column is the only place where one currently has no choice but to download a ginormous file in order to follow along with the article.

I agree that it's best to download the whole thing for serious study, but in a LOT of the tutorials---especially those with like 20 examples, one doesn't know if the article even applies unless one can hear a little snippet.

The reason it gets up my nose so much is that you used to have a little MP3 player -everywhere- several years ago and I just don't get why it was removed.

Cheers.

---JC
Suntower
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:28 pm

When we were developing our cover-mount anniversary DVDs we needed a MP3 Player and Soundcloud back then was merely a glint in the developers' eyes. It was Flash-based and there's since been a backlash against Flash (plus certain browsers don't support it, easily, now).

When Soundcloud came along with a solution that took away audio hosting costs and offered ability to download hi-res files too, it made commercial sense and we switched to SC.

Being very, very honest, the Tablet issue has embedded audio in it, and that became our focus. Our staff only have a certain amount of hours in a month to do all they do, and before the tablet issue there was time to upload and administrate the SC players, and attach to the articles... though there's very little time to do that currently.

But we'll try to reinstate the Soundcloud player wherever we can and time allows.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,958 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Suntower » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:15 pm

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel....

OK.

:D

---JC
Suntower
Regular