You are here

Moog PSU

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moog PSU

Postby ef37a » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:49 am

I rarely read the synth reviews in SOS (seen ONE synth, seen......?) but in browsing yesterday I came across Gordon Reid's review of the Mini Moog Model D(Aug 16) where he had certain things to say about the external PSU.

I agree that a solid XLR connector is a rare but welcome change. I do NOT agree however with Gordon's statement that "Travel is simplified is rubbish"? Far from it, the supply is a universal SMPS device and will work on any AC supply I am aware of. The fact that it takes a standard IEC plug is another bonus. You just need a lead with the correct "other end" whether in Oldham or Outer Mongolia.

I DO agree most strongly with his condemnation of the triple supply nature of the lump!
If "our" company can derive + and -15V, 300V, a heater supply AND +5V from a single 22V DC* input for a sub £200 pedal surely Moog could do the same for a £3600 synth?

I am of the opinion that ALL external supplies these days should be standardized on 12 volts except for very high power demand devices such as power amplifiers.

*Originally 16V AC.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Moog PSU

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:08 am

Sorry to respond late on this, Dave -- I missed this original post!

ef37a wrote:I do NOT agree however with Gordon's statement that "Travel is simplified is rubbish"? Far from it, the supply is a universal SMPS device and will work on any AC supply I am aware of. The fact that it takes a standard IEC plug is another bonus. You just need a lead with the correct "other end" whether in Oldham or Outer Mongolia.

Completely agree. I don't understand Gordon's objection at all, either. Sure, a line-lump or wall-wart supply is a pain for the user compared to a built-in supply, but I understand the practical and legislative reasons that encourage manufacturers to go down that road. But whether internal or external, a universal supply is, quite obviously, much more convenient and much safer (for the product) than a switchable linear supply.

I am of the opinion that ALL external supplies these days should be standardized on 12 volts except for very high power demand devices such as power amplifiers.

With the ready availability of high-quality, low cost, and power-efficient DC-DC converters today, I would wholeheartedly agree with you. You start the campaign, I'll write the press releases! ;)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Moog PSU

Postby ef37a » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:11 am

Thank you Hugh.

I would love to start such a campaign but I fear I now lack the time, energy and stamina for any such venture.

In any case, WERE I capable there are surely vastly more important matters to attend to in this sorry world than the fact that the audio world cannot devise a rational way to power their devices?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster