You are here

Help With How to Search in Forums Please

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Help With How to Search in Forums Please

Postby alexis » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:21 am

I thought this would be easy for me, but ...

"Turn Back to Spring" was a topic in a thread that I posted in (and may have started) a year or two ago.

1) Is there a "Search in all forum subtopics" option? The only search boxes in the forums I could see were in each individual subforum. So, if I didn't know which one it was in (which I don't), would I have to search in all 10 or so subforums one at a time?

Having said all that, I put "Turn Back to Spring" (including the quotes) in the Music Lounge, and the two SOS Forums subforums, and got zero results. I know there was a thread with several posts about that band/song not long ago ... I wonder why I can't find it?

Any help appreciated - thanks!
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: Help With How to Search in Forums Please

Postby zenguitar » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:34 pm

The best way to do this is to go to the menu bar at the top of any page on the web site, including the forum. There you will find a search box. I put in the text without the quote marks and the search page found it right away, including this topic as well.

Once on that search page you can use a tab to select different categories (Magazine/Forum etc.) and on the right hand side of the page you will find a bunch of filters to further refine your search. For forum posts you can even refine the search by poster.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:58 pm

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby alexis » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:23 pm

zenguitar wrote:The best way to do this is to go to the menu bar at the top of any page on the web site, including the forum. There you will find a search box. I put in the text without the quote marks and the search page found it right away, including this topic as well.

Once on that search page you can use a tab to select different categories (Magazine/Forum etc.) and on the right hand side of the page you will find a bunch of filters to further refine your search. For forum posts you can even refine the search by poster.

Thank you, Andy, I'll give it a go!
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby alexis » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:46 pm

Update:

That was very helpful, Andy, and it will come in very handy for future searches, thank you. I recommend your response be made a sticky for those coming later!

For this case, it didn't seem to do the job completely, however. The search engine is missing a forum exchange I took part in, probably 2-3 years ago. The Turn Back to Spring engineer/writer took part in it also. I suppose I could be quite mistaken and the exchange didn't take place in the SOS forum, but I can't imagine any other place it would have! And as of now, it doesn't seem to be searchable.

I also searched for the author "TBTS", and nothing turned up there.

Any other clues perhaps?

Thank you!

PS: Is there a way to make the search engine Boolean? For example, to search for the words "Turn" and "Spring" but not "Reverb", or (just to make the search results more specific) "alexis" and "TBTS", for example?
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby zenguitar » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi Alexis,

When you perform a search, at the bottom of the results is a link to 'return to advanced search'. Click on this and it will take you to a new page. There you can see the instructions on how to require specific words and exclude specific words. It also allows you to refine the search to include specific users as well.

This link should take you straight to the page.

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/search.php

I've looked at all of TBTS's posts and can only see a couple of other topics devoted to that song. It is possible that older posts have been culled, but not likely as the first topic about that song makes it clear that is the first time it is mentioned. As he had the song up on his MySpace and YouTube it may be that the conversation was there and not on the SOS forums.

zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby alexis » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:12 pm

zenguitar wrote:Hi Alexis,

When you perform a search, at the bottom of the results is a link to 'return to advanced search'. Click on this and it will take you to a new page. There you can see the instructions on how to require specific words and exclude specific words. It also allows you to refine the search to include specific users as well.

This link should take you straight to the page.

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/search.php

I've looked at all of TBTS's posts and can only see a couple of other topics devoted to that song. It is possible that older posts have been culled, but not likely as the first topic about that song makes it clear that is the first time it is mentioned. As he had the song up on his MySpace and YouTube it may be that the conversation was there and not on the SOS forums.

Thanks for that extra search tip, Andy!

I'm afraid this will remain a mystery, at last for the present. I don't do any MySpace or Youtube chat, not much of a presence on anything but here, Cubase, and Gearslutz. I'll give a check there, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you again!

(PS: Hugh, I just saw you had posted with some help above - so sorry, and thank you!)
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)