You are here

"View Unread Posts": Best thing since sliced bread!

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

"View Unread Posts": Best thing since sliced bread!

Postby alexis » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:14 am

I have to say, I looove the "View Unread Posts" function. I rarely if ever need to go to other portions of the forum anymore, as it is such a helpful aggregation of all the new posts. What a great timesaver!

The only downside is that, to the degree I read a post but decide to not respond till later when I have more time, I sometimes forget to answer others' posts (which means, statistically speaking, that I have forgotten to thank someone). So then I feel : oops: and :dang: (which I think anyway might be better than Sturm and Drang, and why not?).

So, really then, the "View Unread Posts" doubles as a personal betterment/antiprocrastination aid. Wow! :P
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: "View Unread Posts": Best thing since sliced bread!

Postby zenguitar » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:37 am

I am another convert too Alexis :)

It's a great way to keep up to date and make sure you miss nothing. As a Mod I always went through every sub forum meticulously to make sure I never missed a post but now I always use the 'view unread posts' link. It's actually pretty smart, it's driven by the forum search engine.

There are only two things to watch out for. The first is that you have to double check to make sure you have the right context. You are always skipping between different sub forums, so if you are someone who crosses a bunch of forums you have to keep a check on whether you are wearing your Guitar head, your Producer head, your DIY head, or your Lounge head.

The other thing to watch out for is posts from new forum members. As part of our ongoing battle against spammers we have implemented a rule that requires the first 3 posts from a new member to be verified by a Moderator. Those unverified posts appear in the feeds for Mods, but are invisible to members and guests. Once they are approved by a Mod those posts are visible to all members and guests, but in the list of 'view unread posts' they appear where they would have appeared according to the time the post was made, not when it was approved.

I am generally here until 2:30am, 3:00am UK time, Hugh tends to get here around 10:00am or 11:00am UK time. So there can sometimes be a gap of 7 to 8.5 hours for posts from new members to be approved. Fine for us Europeans who are generally asleep, but it can be peak posting time for the US, Asia, and Australasia.

So make sure you scroll back further down the page, just in case.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: "View Unread Posts": Best thing since sliced bread!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:06 am

Yes, this feature was one we really needed because the forum software's standard facility just wasn't up to the grade. Thanks to the efforts of the backroom team we now have something that closely resembles the facility we all relied upon in the previous forum incarnation -- and it really does make life much easier. I have it on a bookmark button on my browser and just click that to update and refresh the list.

The only trap -- as Zen has highlighted -- is the possibility of missing newbie posts that get held up in the mod queue and then pop back into the list below the 'current time'. Obviously, we try to approve or disapprove newbie posts as promptly as we can, but as Zen says there could well be a gap of a few hours over the UK night time. Still... better that than pages and pages of spam (and we are catching and removing two or three spammers a day most days!)

One thing I try to do where I can is to respond to a newbie post after it's been approved, so that the thread pops back up to the top of the list...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound