You are here

Ad blocker

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Ad blocker

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:56 am

I've just had a popup asking me to remove my ad blocker and I thought I'd post to say why I'm not doing so. I have tried using this site without the ad blocker and I've found the adverts almost intolerable. I can't blame them, their developers want them to be noticed after all, so they flash and jump around and generally distract me in a way I find difficult to live with.

On the other hand, I understand that SoS needs income to continue and without income there would be no forum, which would be a real loss to me. So how do I square that particular circle? The answer is I have a digital subscription. Getting to see the articles 6 months earlier than without a subscription is nice but not a major thing, it's mostly to fund the site that I have it.

If you could mandate less dominating and distracting ads then I'd turn off my ad blocker (and I promise to keep the subscription going too :) ).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Ad Blocker 2

Postby mac.churchmouse » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:09 pm

I use an ad blocker - so? I don't need some nasty little pop up to remind me. I buy a hard copy of your magazine at full (plus) price from my local Sydney newsagent. If that's not good enough for you I can alway use my funds to buy more studio gear! And I will ...
Afterall, I am fairly blocked from the latest online content and I was just checking out the forum. Might I suggest that 25 years of purchasing and reading your esteemed magazine is not best rewarded by you getting uptight, white male, self righteous, and neoliberal (ie Tory) about it all.
Kindly get over yourselves,
Mac
mac.churchmouse
Poster

Re: Ad Blocker 2

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Check out my earlier post on this. There's no need to get up on your high horse about a politely worded popup by an organisation that has to pay its way to live!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Re: Ad blocker

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:26 pm

I tend to run an ad blocker by default but manually whitelist certain sites that run responsible advertising and/or I want to support, including SOS - and I don't find the ads on this site intrusive or a problem at all, compared to some. And at least they match with my interests, rather than a random bunch of rubbish...

It's appallingly bad on some sites, particularly news or entertainment stuff, they block content with full screen, overalying or pop up ads, and any site that dictates what I have to sit through in order to reach their content tends to make me just not go back to that service.

So yes, I'm sensitive to online ads, but SOS ones don't bother me at all, fwiw...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Escapegoat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:29 pm

The problem goes deeper. Advert serving is farmed out to third/fourth/fifth/etc parties, each one spending no time at all to check adverts, and just taking their percentage. Distracting/annoying adverts are bad enough, but the the significant risk is malware delivered by adverts.

Like the infamous Forbes website case, this is ultimately blamed on some 'unscrupulous' company way down the chain. But the damage has been done. Or the DailyMotion one - 126 million people affected. Then there was MSN, Yahoo, Daily Mail, etc, etc.

Website publishers need to understand that requiring us to open our machines to unchecked software is A Bad Idea.
Escapegoat
Regular

Postby mac.churchmouse » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Check out my earlier post on this.
CC
I compliment you on your good manners. However ... I am perhaps not so moderate but still I am entitled to my reaction/feelings, and in what form I choose. Naturally I am rather bitter that I can't afford a horse - high or low - and as such tend to be emotionally rather incontinent.
Of course no 'bot understands that I have paid a large amount of money (to me) over 25 years to this magazine (and accepted the many print ads it contains without complaint), but perhaps the people who initiate and programme the algorhythm could think twice. Exactly where is the magazine being ripped off? I can't see that popping in to check out what other readers are engaged with constitutes an activity that deserves being turned into revenue. Surely such interest is a gateway to becoming a paid reader?
mac.churchmouse
Poster

Re: Ad blocker / Ad Blocker 2

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:37 pm

As we already had a thread discussing ad-blockers, I've merged a second intemperate thread into the first to keep the discussions collated and coherent. I also adjusted the title of the second thread to 'Ad Blocker 2' for clarity.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:50 pm

mac.churchmouse wrote:Exactly where is the magazine being ripped off? I can't see that popping in to check out what other readers are engaged with constitutes an activity that deserves being turned into revenue.

So what do your think funds the free forums you're popping into? Commercial website hosts aren't free and maintaining the site isn't free either.

Surely such interest is a gateway to becoming a paid reader?

Yes, of course, for some people... but certainly not for everyone that logs on, and certainly not enough to fund the forums on their own.

You may not be aware, but SOS is unusual as it is (a) a very small privately-owned publishing company with one niche product, and (b) it is still in business after over 30 years when most of its competitors have gone bust, merged with other titles, or moved out of the market altogether.

Publishing (especially paper-publishing) is a very challenging business these days, and all possible revenue sources must be pursued to stay in business. Web ads are an increasingly important part of the revenue stream and their (non-)appearance is easily tracked and logged by the advertisers, so blocking them does directly affect the income stream to SOS and potentially, therefore, the services SOS can afford to continue to provide for free.

I'm sorry if you find that inconvenient or annoying, but it is what it is. In the grand scheme of things perhaps your earlier post was a bit of a knee-jerk over-reaction; surely there are much more important things going on in the world to get riled about than a polite, reasoned, ad-blocking message?

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Kwackman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:17 pm

desmond wrote:I tend to run an ad blocker by default but manually whitelist certain sites that run responsible advertising and/or I want to support, including SOS - and I don't find the ads on this site intrusive or a problem at all, compared to some. And at least they match with my interests, rather than a random bunch of rubbish....

Same here.

CC- just curious, are you looking at the site on a computer or a smartphone/tablet?
I'm usually only on the site on a laptop or desktop, for me the ads are off to one side and don't really get in my way. Maybe it's different on a smart device?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Kwackman wrote:
CC- just curious, are you looking at the site on a computer or a smartphone/tablet?
I'm usually only on the site on a laptop or desktop, for me the ads are off to one side and don't really get in my way. Maybe it's different on a smart device?

Yup! My thoughts too... Must admit my eyes very rarely stray to the right of the screen... 99% of my SoS interaction is via a desktop...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:42 pm

For anyone reading this thread without an ad-blocker and wondering what all the fuss is about, the new pop-up message displayed if an ad-blocker is detected is shown below.

SOS popup Ad Blocker alert.jpg

... And there is a detailed explanation about it here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/information/ad-blockers-explained

There are a total of six web ads on the forum pages. One in the header at the top, two in the right-hand side bar, and three small banner ads at the very bottom of the page.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:20 pm

I view on a tablet and I'm used to the blinky stuff now. I tune it out unless I'm needing some gear and doing my research.
On the musicapp blog the adverts were supposedly geared to my taste. I was experimenting by purposely visiting a cleavage site (it was research!) but I still got mostly car adverts on the blog site. Perhaps my research wasn't as comprehensive as it should have been.
My experiment was triggered by receiving an ad there that showed a scantily clad well endowed young woman selling what? I can't recall. So much for the power of bare skin in advertising! :D
Perhaps if she was holding an expensive microphone?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:56 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:If you could mandate less dominating and distracting ads then I'd turn off my ad blocker...

Well, unlike many sites we have not condoned and permitted auto-play video ads on the SOS site (I hate them too) but in reply to the above comment, you have to put things in context. Few advertisers design and create ads that they run solely with our site -- it's simply not cost-effective for them to do so; an advertiser will typically produce an ad campaign and want that shown in as many places as possible on the internet.

So if they were restricted by us, let's say, to non-animated ads, the likelihood is that the advertising clients would choose to book the animated ads on sites where such restriction does not exist and if they are not getting the page impressions they require for their ads here, because visitors are using an ad-blocker, then this would diminish the incentive for those companies to advertise on our web site.

The major reason we unlock all of our past content after 5 months, and provide a valuable archive of quality material, free of charge, is because it is being subsidised in part by the online advertising revenue from companies related to this industry. If that started to drop off, because the page impressions delivered for each ad were getting lower (due to ad-blocking), then we'd likely lose advertisers. If there's less income, then we'd have less money to pay for the provision and upkeep of the site. The two are directly linked.

As it is, we get approached by some major brands of non-music/non-recording related products wishing to book web ads, but we've always turned them down.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:02 pm

I mostly use a 27" screen. Even with the way phone screens are growing in size you can probably guess this is my desk machine.

Others find them easier to ignore but (maybe due a susceptibility I have to migraine headaches) I really can't be having with anything in my direct field of vision that flashes and stuff. As I say, I've found my own moral equivalent to unblocking the ads, and my posts on this thread could readily be regarded as an attempt to encourage others to take out subscriptions and reach your own moral equivalent.

Mr Churchmouse, might I suggest that you consider getting a subscription since you buy the mag regularly? The value of a subscription to something like SoS is it represents a guaranteed income stream which makes their finances easier to anticipate, the quid pro quo is that you get it cheaper.

A suggestion to SoS's developers. Maybe (and I realise this would be rather low priority) you could check the database of subscribers before deploying the ad block message? Of course this does depend on you accepting my moral equivalence and you might not, but it might be an additional inducement to get a subscription: Get a subscription and see no more annoying popups like this! :)

CC

Edit: the previous reply arrived while I was still typing this. I can see that might counter my last paragraph.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:23 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I mostly use a 27" screen. Even with the way phone screens are growing in size you can probably guess this is my desk machine.

:bouncy:
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:12 pm

The reason I went for an ad-blocker on the sos forums was the animated ads which I find extremely distracting, however the very valid arguments put forward by Ian and Hugh lead me to reconsider and I have whitelisted the SoS site, I will try to tolerate the ads and see how I get on.

I also used to have a sub (paper for many years and tablet on and off for the last few). I will probably reactivate a tablet to web subscription soon.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I have whitelisted the SoS site, I will try to tolerate the ads and see how I get on.

Cheers. :thumbup:
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:28 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Perhaps if she was holding an expensive microphone?

Nah. A certain British mic company tried that and received a lot of flak for it! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:Perhaps if she was holding an expensive microphone?

Nah. A certain British mic company tried that and received a lot of flak for it! :lol:

... and I still don't buy their stuff or read reviews of their products! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 pm

I admire the integrity! :D
Hugh Robjohns

Next