You are here

Ad blocker

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Ad blocker

Postby Escapegoat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I have whitelisted the SoS site

Good luck. If/when Angler (or one of its successors) infects your computer, ask the SoS team how they will help you.
Escapegoat
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Not a problem for me, I don't find them particularly overblown (but of course I understand who might) and unlike most random ads, the ones in SOS are quite on topic and at times useful. Commercials are, after all, one of the ways to know what's new in the market.

Plus, happy to do a little to support the work of the esteemed people keeping this forum together. It has a feel very similar to a pre-1996 Usenet group which, for whoever wasn't there back then, it's a darn good thing.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Escapegoat wrote:If/when Angler (or one of its successors) infects your computer, ask the SoS team how they will help you.

Unlikely, I suspect, since the SoS ads are clearly not served via the usual aggregators.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Anyway, I don't even notice them so - Oh look!, 40% off at Time& Space..!
Back in a sec...

:beamup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Kwackman wrote:
desmond wrote:I tend to run an ad blocker by default but manually whitelist certain sites that run responsible advertising and/or I want to support, including SOS - and I don't find the ads on this site intrusive or a problem at all, compared to some. And at least they match with my interests, rather than a random bunch of rubbish....

Same here.

And me!

I did get a pop-up once a few days ago for the first time from the SOS web site, but one click to whitelist www.soundonsound.com and it disappeared, and as Mike Stranks mentions the few well-designed ads that appear on the SOS web site are all over on the rhs, so you can almost ignore them if you wich.

Certainly not too intrusive for me anyway ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:34 pm

I have viewed SoS forum almost exclusively on an i3 HP g6 series laptop for the last 5 years (desktop before that) .
All I ever see is an ad just over 50% of the 'important' area on the left. No animation, no popping, no flashing (heaven forfend!) .

I am running W7/64 IE11/64 and only run Ms SE. I don't know if I have an ad blocker or not.

Oh, and I only buy the paper copy.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby John Reid » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:40 am

OK I've had it, I'm going back to paper! :headbang:

Not wanting to be tied to Apple, a few years ago I naively opted for an Android tablet, and up to a while ago I was happily reading SOS on said tablet until a more-or-less forced upgrade reduced the battery life of the device from over a week (mainly in standby) to less than a few hours (let's not go there, but it actually is the Android upgrade that is the cause of this and I can prove it .... reverting solves it, but that brings other application support issues).

So, tablet in the recycling, I go back to reading using a web browser. I switch off AdBlocker, even though it's set to allow acceptable ads without tracking, and am faced with these awful animated ads, which I am prepared to tolerate on GearSlutz for the five minutes a month I have to spend there, but seriously .... I'm sorry, I can't read SOS articles with the wonderful world of internet marketing turning technicolour hoops around it.

Just my 2c.
John Reid
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Likewise. It's not the relevance of the ads I object to, it's their sheer garishness. For me it makes using the forum too unpleasant. As I've said before I do understand that SoS needs income to survive and so to make a contribution to those costs I have an online subscription and have done so for quite some years now.

Suggestion: for those of us who have online subscriptions couldn't you disable the "Please turn off the ad blocker" prompt? Or disable ads completely. If you did this and made it known then you might get more online subscriptions. After all, ads-or-paid-for is an established model in the applications world and it might work for SoS as well.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:04 pm

I have whitelisted SoS on my adblocker, I have four ads visible on this page, two are flashing.... TBH I don't find it a problem. But I rarely read it in my iPad. Will take notice when I next do.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:41 pm

I don't suppose it's going to be as much a problem for everyone as for me and others like me. I find peripheral flashing light hard to deal with. Example: if I'm sitting in a pub or restaurant and there's a candle between me and the person I'm talking to I have to move it well to one side because I really can' t cope with the continual flickering in my peripheral vision. Because it doesn't bother you please don't therefore assume that it doesn't bother anyone really and they must be making it up. (Not talking about you, Sam, just a general point).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:17 am

It's a fair comment, when reading the forums I occasionally get an animated Ad displayed in a window that is almost, but not quite, invisible. And it can be incredibly distracting.

And as a Mod I do read every single post that appears in public (as well as a plenty that fail to appear in public because they are disapproved as spam). So I do see an awful lot of posts here.

However, I grin and bear it and disable Ad Blocker because the ads that appear on the forum (and website in general) are in the same ballpark as those that appear in the print magazine.

But the mid-scroll flicker of an animated ad in the corner of the eye can be a minor pain!!

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:01 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:I don't suppose it's going to be as much a problem for everyone as for me and others like me. I find peripheral flashing light hard to deal with. Example: if I'm sitting in a pub or restaurant and there's a candle between me and the person I'm talking to I have to move it well to one side because I really can' t cope with the continual flickering in my peripheral vision. Because it doesn't bother you please don't therefore assume that it doesn't bother anyone really and they must be making it up. (Not talking about you, Sam, just a general point).

CC

Absolutely fair point Chris, and, as you acknowledge, I was referring only to my own experience. A few years ago I installed an ad blocker because I was finding the ads very annoying, I whitelisted SoS last year after a discussion further up this thread (and, though I'm happy to read the mag online a few months in arrears, I reinstated my online sub as well). I don't know why the ads don't bother me now when they did before, maybe the animated ones are less, er, 'animated' than they used to be. I would still prefer the ads to be static though.

BTW, one of my pet hates is when I go and visit somebody for a brew and a chat and they leave the tv on with the sound turned down. I find it incredibly difficult not to be distracted from the conversation.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:45 pm

Sam,
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... trol&hl=en

No doubt Apple do something similar?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:52 pm

I disable the ads (on my PC) because a) they push the Latest Forum Activity section right down the page and I find that section very useful and constantly scrolling down and up again really annoys me, b) I never look at them even if they are there, and c) like many others, I find animated or flashing ads very very annoying.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby ReedySteadyGo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:14 pm

Wonks wrote:I disable the ads (on my PC) because a) they push the Latest Forum Activity section right down the page and I find that section very useful and constantly scrolling down and up again really annoys me, b) I never look at them even if they are there, and c) like many others, I find animated or flashing ads very very annoying.

I agree with points a) & c).

I don't deliberately block ads but I do run a script blocker to prevent potentially nasty scripts and trackers running in the background on some sites and that has the side-affect that ads also get blocked. Strangely though I don't see the pop-up (maybe that script is blocked too).

Since the ads are actually relevant to the subject I don't mind them (and see them on my tablet), with the exception of points a) & c) above.

If the ads offered exclusive discounts that would be even better ;)
ReedySteadyGo
Regular

Postby Paul Gilby » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:35 pm

As the man at SOS responsible for the web site I hear what you are saying so here's some good news for you all.

Like the majority of site/forum users, I actually don't like animated adverts. I spend a lot of time surfing around different websites and get annoyed with those banners that jump out onto your screen, ads that auto-expand as you roll over some content and ads that purposely get in the way until you close the box. We never allow those sort of ads on our site but we have to face the commercial reality that we must generate some income from the site hence we do have adverts.

For those who remember the old site. We had web adverts running down the left and right sides with the content in the middle. If both sides had animated ads it could end up being a very unpleasant viewing experience with flashes in your peripheral vision. One of our concerns when redesigning the new site was to use only the right side column and reduce the number of advert slots on the page.

So, we’ve now got less ad slots and they are now wider than the old site but they have become less animated.

Animated adverts are changing.
Over a year ago Google stopped supporting animated adverts created in Adobe Flash format and most Browsers have dropped or blocked support too. With the demise of Flash, that left the creative agencies with a choice of supplying adverts in the Animated GIF graphic format or HTML5 code which few of them can get their heads around.

The net result has been a drop in the number of animated adverts supplied to SOS. So the good news is that we are seeing a more sensible approach with less hypnotic animations.

There’s even more good news because Google have now launched their own Chrome browser ad blocker which selectively blocks certain types of adverts and overly excited animation. It does not block every advert but the aim is to try and bring a better viewing experience to users of their browser. I think most people would agree that they don’t mind seeing related adverts if they are static -- it’s the blinking animation that offends.
Google, along with many other companies, have signed up to the Better Ads Standards coalition which surveyed 25,000 consumers to determine the most annoying formats and create a hit-list for blocking. You can read more about this here https://www.betterads.org/standards/

Given the industry move away from supporting animation and encouraging a more sensible approach to the design of banner adverts that don’t upset people, the longer-term aim is to allow adverts to sit side-by-side with content in a less intrusive way just like they do in a print magazine.

As a matter of policy, SOS have now recommended to all of our web advertisers to supply static banners or reduce any animation to a minimum and at a lower speed of movement.

One final word. Web advertising is not going to go away, as all publishers have to generate income from many sources. So, whilst it’s a fair proposal to suggest subscribers should be given an ad-free browsing experience, I’m sorry but the cost of your annual subscription is not comparable to the high costs of running a site of our size. So, the number of advert display impressions on our site and the click through to an advertiser's site are the only way we can keep a commercial balance.

As always, we at SOS try to do this in a fair and balanced way as we've always been an editorially led publisher keen to convey the best content on the subject. Thanks for supporting SOS in whatever way you do.

Regards
Paul Gilby.
Paul Gilby

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:06 pm

ef37a wrote:Sam,
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... trol&hl=en

No doubt Apple do something similar?

Dave.

Brilliant, that would solve the problem (and maybe even generate some income for a retired electronics engineer on the side) :D :D :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks for the full reply, Paul. I'll give it a few weeks for your advertisers to think about the new policy and then I'll turn the ad blocker off and see how we go (and I'll keep my subscription going either way :) ).

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:59 pm

Paul, thanks for that.

You can't really fault websites for ad content as the back channel is filled with greedy, weird blokes and since the end user is not the customer, your wants and needs don't figure into their calculations.

With the insanely arcane architecture of instantaneous micro bids for ad space, the reason I use an ad blocker is largely to thwart these nefarious mythical strawmen from building too detailed a profile of me. The lower their click count, the less profitable they are, and hopefully the sooner they'll slink away.

of course there's a far greater number of ethically challenged people in the world than those who care about either quality or outcomes, so I'm delusional there, I know.

Still SOS has at least some guidelines in place and recognizing the limited ability to police their ad traffic, I hope the cash I pay for a sub overcomes my extreme distaste for advertising being the basis of all economic growth in western countries.
Watchmaker
Regular
"one feels most reassured hearing an expert's opinions on the matter..."

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:21 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:BTW, one of my pet hates is when I go and visit somebody for a brew and a chat and they leave the tv on with the sound turned down. I find it incredibly difficult not to be distracted from the conversation.

Agreed. And yet this is suggested to do in the studio because it will force your eyes to take little breaks and focus on something that is at a different distance which is good for eye health especially during long sessions.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext