You are here

The noise reduction on SOS videos is impressive

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

The noise reduction on SOS videos is impressive

Postby job » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:51 pm

It's really seamless and transparent. I really liked the mixing of different channels in the new video. The way it drastically lowered all the high frequencies as well but without adversely affecting the voice. Skilful. Can I ask what you use for it? Hardware or software I wonder?
job
Regular

Re: The noise reduction on SOS videos is impressive

Postby The Korff » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Thanks for the kind words Job!

Which video are you talking about — the NAMM reportage ones, or our video features?
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Korff » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:41 pm

I've just asked one of our video chaps about the trade-show videos — apparently no noise reduction is used at all!

The C200 camera they use has four input channels. The interviewer uses a Microtech Gefell MD120 omni dynamic mic, and the interviewee is fitted with a DPA omni headset mic. The remaining two channels take a L/R feed off the product being demo'ed, and when the new gizmo is making noises the mic channels are muted (hence the very clean sound).

Cheers,

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby job » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:55 pm

The Korff wrote:Which video are you talking about — the NAMM reportage ones, or our video features?

I was referring to the videos in general, but the video that finally compelled me to say something was the one linked below. What's happening when the interviewees are speaking here, is it just the rejection of the mic?

https://youtu.be/hgUj30oELlE?t=346
job
Regular

Postby resistorman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:43 am

Yes, the videos from NAMM were very well done, I noticed the cross-fade in and out of the DI channels immediately. In a good way... :clap:
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:13 am

job wrote:What's happening when the interviewees are speaking here, is it just the rejection of the mic?

Yes, it is just the power of the direct-to-reverberant sound ratio. Get the mic very close to the source, and the distant ambient sound level drops off dramatically.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Tim Gillett » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:32 am

job wrote: What's happening when the interviewees are speaking here, is it just the rejection of the mic?

Apart from the voices, there seems an underlying ambience that carries over no matter who is speaking. Maybe the videoing crew wisely recorded some ambient venue sound (not necessarily recorded at the same time) and mixed that in to try and mask the difference between the voices, and between the different ambiences.

If it was just the close held interviewee mic, there would probably be even better rejection of the venue. Another reason why I suspect there's an added ambience track. Good location film sound technique.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:Maybe the videoing crew wisely recorded some ambient venue sound (not necessarily recorded at the same time) and mixed that in to try and mask the difference between the voices, and between the different ambiences.

Nope. It's just the background ambience captured by the two open mics during the interview. While recording a 'wildtrack' is a common technique in many TV and film productions to help smooth over edits, it isn't done here because not only is there insufficient time for such production niceties -- these videos are turned around very quickly during the show -- it actually isn't needed at all anyway.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby blinddrew » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:43 pm

I guess using two omni mics takes care of that naturally.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Korff » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Yes, omnis deal with off-axis sound much better than cardioid mics, so the spill is much more benign than it would otherwise be — and they also don't suffer from proximity effect, so the speakers can get right up to them without sounding boomy (so you get a stronger balance of direct sound compared with spill).

To be honest, it's the mics that are doing all the legwork here!
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby job » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:19 pm

I see. Well i guess that craps on the value of my compliment for that video. That mic... is doing a good job!
job
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:47 pm

But we've all learned something so arguably we came out ahead. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Tim Gillett » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:58 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:Maybe the videoing crew wisely recorded some ambient venue sound (not necessarily recorded at the same time) and mixed that in to try and mask the difference between the voices, and between the different ambiences.

Nope. It's just the background ambience captured by the two open mics during the interview. While recording a 'wildtrack' is a common technique in many TV and film productions to help smooth over edits, it isn't done here because not only is there insufficient time for such production niceties -- these videos are turned around very quickly during the show -- it actually isn't needed at all anyway.

H

So the interviewee mic was not what appeared to be a standard cardioid stage vocal mic used for the opening teaching segment but an omni. Well spotted!

I'd assumed they were the same mic. If the interviewee mic had had proximity effect the venue ambience it picked up would have been thin and trebly. That it was full range suggested to me an ambience track had been recorded and mixed in later. But if as you say it was an omni, the more spectrally balanced ambience, plus minimal change in ambience as the mic was moved from person to person, plus a higher than expected level of venue ambience, makes perfect sense.

Also the interviewer's track has its own distinctive character: very lacking in bass in both the voice and the ambience, plus what seems like some de-essing. That track couldnt have supplied the full range venue ambience.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:24 pm

job wrote:I see. Well i guess that craps on the value of my compliment for that video. That mic... is doing a good job!

The skill was knowing which mics to use and where to put them for best results. So I'd say that the compliment was worthwhile. Plenty of other audio related videos get this wrong and there's nothing more annoying that a video about audio with poor sound.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Tim Gillett » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:53 am

One thing that might have improved it was the interviewer could have handheld a mic like the interviewees. That would have reduced or eliminated the ambience changes whenever his mic was faded up and down in post. They may not have even needed to fade in and out his track at all, or so heavily EQ it, making for simpler post production.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:11 am

Tim Gillett wrote:One thing that might have improved it was .......

I don't see where there was a problem here that needs improving, to be honest.
The videos, in my opinion, sounded fine given the circumstances. I heard every word clearly, heard demo sounds clearly and the background noise wasn't distracting at all.
Occasionally I was distracted by the subject matter and didn't notice the sound, which is a good indication that the sound is spot on!

These are information videos turned round pretty fast for our viewing, not a arty film with many hours spent stroking beards and navel gazing in a post production facility.

Good info, good videos, good sound. Cheers SOS. :clap:
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ef37a » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:48 am

Had a listen to a couple last night, yes very good job.

Now, can the SOS OB team go and assist Radio 4 news gatherers please?
Hour ago in the car listening to a piece about recycling in Norway. The interviewer was fine but of course, when they wanted a comment from a worker they HAD to record the gal on the shop floor didn't they! Result, she was buried in machine noise.

Were they never told that microphones do NOT have brains? They cannot do what we* do and separate 'intelligence' from mush. (and yes Hugh, I know the answer!)

Well, not me so much!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 pm

ef37a wrote:(and yes Hugh, I know the answer!)

Good... saves me a rant then! :protest: :round1:

:lol:

H
Hugh Robjohns