You are here

I have a wee prob wiv June's Sounding Off written by Craig Anderton

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: I have a wee prob wiv June's Sounding Off written by Craig Anderton

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu May 31, 2018 2:25 pm

desmond wrote:To not bother about *both* sides of a dialogue is to be only interested in what you have to say. And I can't communicate with people like that.

And there you have the crux of the matter!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Korff » Thu May 31, 2018 2:58 pm

LdashD wrote:Errm, wot drug prescriptions is your Photographer taking?

If you can think of a better way to buy a ball pit and claim it on expenses, I'd like to hear it.

job wrote:ps. that cover was cool! Posh even. I like it! :thumbup:

Thanks!

:D
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby garrettendi » Thu May 31, 2018 3:16 pm

The Korff wrote:If you can think of a better way to buy a ball pit and claim it on expenses, I'd like to hear it.

This right here is incredible. Please tell me the whole staff played in it once the photo was done.

Also, did you manage to claim a slide on the expenses too? You can't have a ball pit with no slide!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Postby CS70 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:10 pm

LdashD wrote:I’m saying that Craig thinks one needs to better than The Beatles to have any chance of making it, I’m replying by stating that this is impossible cos is doesn’t get any better, only as good as…

F**k me, now that you write in actual words I can almost agree.

For the record, I just read the piece, and from what I get, Craig ain't saying what you mean is saying. He's not talking of talent or musical ability at all ("better"). Talent and musical ability are, and always have been, a quite small part of the recipe for "making it" (and even completely absent, hence the chart crap Forum Admin was referring to, present in every era).

He's saying that you are commercially competing in the market where the competitors aren't only your current big acts, but all the big acts of the past (why they were big, and whether it was deserved or not, it's a different issue and totally irrelevant). And that's because right now they're just as readily available as you are, and a listener can't see any difference, since we are all there (on YouTube, Spotify, you name it).

However, there's two reasons for which I agree a bit with you: one is that, once we're grown up we tend to forget how the world looked when we weren't: brand new. The other is that there's ever more people on Earth which accesses the western music pool.

Nobody is born knowing who the Beatles (or mf*** Picasso) are. When you start discovering music, you're generally driven by what your friends listen to and/or randomness. So the math is just as it's always been: assuming your stuff is attractive to someone, the more you expose to them, the more they will reward you with streams, live concert sales etc. "Making it" is about building enough critical mass that the marketing cost of getting that exposure become small.

And that's where the ever-growing number of listeners helps. Yes, the pool of available music is ever-growing, but the listeners accessing it are more than ever. That's what drives the Justin Biebers, the Lady Gagas, the Beyonces (well, apart Tidal's magic numbers ;-) ) and the other modern mega-acts.

That said tough, all this "there are no barriers" talk doesn't hold water. Yes, labels as a investment money source for producing recordings and for channeling it to distributors are a thing of the past, but all the other gateways are still in place: you've got to know people, or the people discovering your work get to know people, you've gotta have seed money for marketing, etc. That's because marketing effectively to 6 billion people requires even more shortcuts to get exposure than for a smaller mass.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 31, 2018 4:58 pm

Deleted because I missed the second page of postings.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 31, 2018 4:59 pm

Deleted because I'm an idiot.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby johnny h » Thu May 31, 2018 5:01 pm

CS70 wrote:
LdashD wrote:I’m saying that Craig thinks one needs to better than The Beatles to have any chance of making it, I’m replying by stating that this is impossible cos is doesn’t get any better, only as good as…
F**k me, now that you write in actual words I can almost agree.

For the record, I just read the piece, and from what I get, Craig ain't saying what you mean is saying. He's not talking of talent or musical ability at all ("better"). Talent and musical ability are, and always have been, a quite small part of the recipe for "making it" (and even completely absent, hence the chart crap Forum Admin was referring to, present in every era).

He's saying that you are commercially competing in the market where the competitors aren't only your current big acts, but all the big acts of the past (why they were big, and whether it was deserved or not, it's a different issue and totally irrelevant). And that's because right now they're just as readily available as you are, and a listener can't see any difference, since we are all there (on YouTube, Spotify, you name it).
Its much cheaper for labels to sell their back catalogue than to invest in new music, which is partly why they don't. While its much, much cheaper to make music to a very high production standard, feeding the publicity machine is still expensive and making music is still a hard, time consuming process.

A lot of the new artists have had huge personal backing from their parents. I know people who have been gifted hundreds of thousands of pounds / dollars, and in a small number of cases its landed them entry into the top tier. As inequality rises, this will continue to happen more and more often.

I see it myself in dance music, the older people mostly learnt their trade on the dole (or similar). The new crop are all rich kids from private schools with beautiful, instagrammable studios, living out the dreams of their parents.

I think I'm probably one of the last of the dole (job seekers) generation who "made it". I was polite and well mannered to the people who worked in the office but never had the slightest intention of getting a job. Still don't!
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:08 am

Didn’t realise this was still going???

Yes of course I’m wrong as per usual innit.

I dig it too Korffy, I noticed, or think I did, a change in photographer, a few years ago I think sometimes it now looks more like, I dunno, corporate or a high tech HI-FI mag? Well shot but boring(ish)? practical I suppose, but then I’m an Arty farty er, fart, so the colour struck me more, looks great on da shelf, sometimes it takes me a while to spot it, so more of the same I reckon und Smiths has always dumped it in the HI-Fi section anyway, told ’em enough times, but Head Office deems it correct…

Hey ‘aitch, some people seem to be debating here and elsewhere, and some people chose not to understand, I’m damned if’n I do…

The prob here and elsewhere is you all don't understand the, or acknowledge that it even exists, aesthetic... there's three kinds of Art, good, bad or indifferent...

Postby CS70 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:53 am

johnny h wrote: While its much, much cheaper to make music to a very high production standard, feeding the publicity machine is still expensive and making music is still a hard, time consuming process.

Indeed. All the real gateways are still firmly there.

A lot of the new artists have had huge personal backing from their parents. I know people who have been gifted hundreds of thousands of pounds / dollars, and in a small number of cases its landed them entry into the top tier. As inequality rises, this will continue to happen more and more often.

I see it myself in dance music, the older people mostly learnt their trade on the dole (or similar). The new crop are all rich kids from private schools with beautiful, instagrammable studios, living out the dreams of their parents.

Never thought of that angle, but it's a good point. Seed money for all the necessary forms of marketing must come from somewhere..
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:22 am

Just to re-cap then.

Plenty of average books top the charts as have plenty of songs down the years, and just cos a pictures hangs in a prestigious or 'National' gallery... therefore you don't have to be that good to make it in the Arts... song writing, painting/sculpture or literature... it's open to any individual from any kind of background who just happens to get the urge to create, with or without a degree, you can't be instructed in genius.

Some Art stands the test of time cos it was truly great original Art when made and those in the know can distinguish this cos they've studied &/or engaged with it all their lives...

In any given century there's only ever been a handful of great original painters... these truly great painters where in turn 100% influenced by the previous generations of great painters...

Like painting, music too is an organic organism that evolves down the years and as a songwriter/composer I feel I am immersed, up to me neck in fact, in this legacy and am adapting and expanding on it... not every bod does and for a variety of reasons...

There's plenty of great songs about today that will stand the test of time, and there were plenty of crap choons from the near past's great era's that haven't...

If I'm any good it's because of wot I've listened to, as a songwriter you are wot you listen to, if you listened to bygone eras music that isn't on the da radar today, fair chance yours won't be neither, same goes for those young enough to be influenced mainly by today's average songs, rather than the ones that will be considered classics in the near future... I've been around long enough now to have had these life-long held beliefs confirmed by history... so you can take it as green.

Truth is, you don't need to be that good, I'm not in competition wiv any other bod past or present, passion, persistence, a wee bit of a hook and a wee bit of luck should/could see you through, just don't bank on it eh.

Previous