You are here

Suggestion: Larger section each month dedicated to ITB Computer Production/mixing etc

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Suggestion: Larger section each month dedicated to ITB Computer Production/mixing etc

Postby forumuser939652 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:30 am

Hi,

Long time sub of Sound on Sound and love the magazine .

I love reading about some of the latest hardware gear, but like many other semi or professional musicians, have moved more and more to a purely DAW based environment for composing , mixing etc.

I know you run a section every month of DAW techniques but can’t help thinking that the size of content dedicated to in the box musicians does not reflect the movement of the last 5 years of many musicians to a solely or mainly computer based setup.

Thus, I would love to see a 20 page section each month dedicated to things PC / Daw related : more articles on composing techniques, Orchestration, EDM tricks, as well as writing in various styles . Things like a monthly mixing tips each month, more in depth sample library features with audio examples .

I realise that there is another magazine dedicated to COMPUTER music , but they tend to focus mostly on EDM production, and are often aimed at beginners etc .

Like I say, with a 20-30 or so pages dedicated each month to DAW composers , of different styles , I think this would resonate with a lot of readers, without alienating the readers who love the hardware stuff ; I just believe the balance has shifted in the music world and think more coverage with a dedicated section each month would be very attractive to current and new users.

I loved your articles on orchestration a few months back, and would like to see more of these kind of things, from composing/ mixing etc Bluegrass to Children’s tv themes and everything in between !

Plugin / sample library shoot outs with pros and cons , arranging and writing techniques on a more regular basis, as well as tricks for composing with various instruments , and putting them together etc.

Maybe an in depth guide to top plugins and Vst s each month ? Omnisphere or kontakt .

I understand your readers use various DAws but a lot of the universal tricks and tips would apply to all.

The fact you use media and audio now would really help with this too.

Personally I love the vi control community , and think a dedicated section to MORE of this kind of stuff would be excellent.

Interesting to think what other readers think ?

Just my two cents, and if I am in the minority then I will shut up !

Keep up the great work,

PJ

Great
forumuser939652

Re: Suggestion: Larger section each month dedicated to ITB Computer Production/mixing etc

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks for taking time to post your suggestions. There are some good ideas there, and I'll forward the link to this post to our editorial team.

Finding space in an already large print magazine is difficult, of course, though extra content on our web site might prove the best place for some of your suggestions.

All feedback is most welcome -- it keeps us re-evaluating what we do.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,310 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Re: Suggestion: Larger section each month dedicated to ITB Computer Production/mixing etc

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:19 am

No! I don't want 20 pages about something I don't do and am not interested in.

I am still smarting over the loss of PC Notes and now Paul F has gone and what do I find in the August issue? Sounding Off has been dumped (well, been given the same space and a bloody silly name then for no good reason I can see) .

Once again we are TOLD what is inside the TK compressor but not allowed a picture, but a PLUG IN gets full page length and over half the width!

It would take a lot of changes to SoS magazine to make me give it up each month but, like a dripping tap, it is slowly getting there!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:49 am

It’s not the mag it once was… resting on laurels perhaps.

I guess it’s not fair to compare the excellent early writers, some still here of course, wiv the current crop, cos that’s how it works innit, some people are better at certain things than others… the writing yes, but I mean more the snippets of advice within a review, ‘Look At Your Meters But Trust Your Ears’ or ‘Start With Bass & Drums….’

It was these kind of repeated encouraging remarks from diff writers that eventually lodged in my brain…

Too much multi-tasking maybe…

So I'm wiv young Dave on dis one, I still buy it, not sure for 'ow much longer, couldn't used to get by wivout it, these days just flick thru it... I'm a tad long in the tooth too though...

There's only ever been one mag i know of that can rightly/proudly state 'The world's number one... for how much longer though.

I'm trying to be helpful... perhaps those connected cain't see the wood from the trees and all that.

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:52 am

Just found an even worse waste of space on page 137 of the August issue.

Nearly 1/2 a page of Studio One tracks that is of such poor resolution it cannot be read under a glass!

What is the point of the photo? PLEASE tell me.

Then! Of course LD we get that absolute GEM from Phil Ward!
Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:12 am

ef37a wrote:Nearly 1/2 a page of Studio One tracks that is of such poor resolution it cannot be read under a glass!

It ought to be readable in all media versions but, as is, in print it conveys an indication of the mix engineer's arrangement and zooming out is the only way to show all tracks he used (which makes everything tiny in print).

You have to remember that the same layout is used on the Tablet issue, where it is enlargeable to allow detailed names to be seen.

There are pros and cons to every medium, which is why subscribing to Print+Digital (tablet+web) makes good sense. ;-)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,310 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:20 am

Forum Admin wrote:
ef37a wrote:Nearly 1/2 a page of Studio One tracks that is of such poor resolution it cannot be read under a glass!

It ought to be readable in all media versions but, as is, in print it conveys an indication of the mix engineer's arrangement and zooming out is the only way to show all tracks he used (which makes everything tiny in print).

You have to remember that the same layout is used on the Tablet issue, where it is enlargeable to allow detailed names to be seen.

There are pros and cons to every medium, which is why subscribing to Print+Digital (tablet+web) makes good sense.

Yes, I guessed that would be the answer* but, if such things cannot be printed legibly why bother? As with Hugh's data, just give a link to those that give a ****? THEN use the space elsewhere for some gutshots for us old Pozi wielding folk!

*Still don't know what peeps get out of it?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 pm

ef37a wrote:What is the point of the photo? PLEASE tell me.

To give an idea of the scale and structure of the entire track project. :thumbup:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:22 pm

ef37a wrote:...what do I find in the August issue? Sounding Off has been dumped (well, been given the same space and a bloody silly name then for no good reason I can see).

Well, at least it's not resting on its laurels! :thumbup:

I wasn't party to the decision to alter the format slightly, but it seems to me that introducing small tweaks now and again stops the magazine being perceived as 'samey' which is apparently considered a bad thing by some. ;-)

My own opinion is that the Sounding Off page was almost always people complaining about something or other... but there's more than enough negativity around. Having a page dedicated to people celebrating 'Why I love...' something should be a much more positive and uplifting read, which I think is a much better way to close the last page -- and more in keeping with the producers' mantra of 'that was really great, but I think you have something even better within....'

YMMV

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

To give an idea of the scale and structure of the entire track project. :thumbup:

H

Can't see that in print so why not just give a link?

Sounding off: IMHO "we" don't complain often enough. Having a place in the mag to do that was A VERY GOOD THING. The mag IS getting "samey". Clooged up with synths and going away from the hard engineering side of audio that I am interested in.

Many moons ago there were several "hi fi" magazines. I had a standing order for Hi Fi News (and subscribed to Studio Sound which started life as Tape Recording) I also bought the "competition" a few times a year. Then the rot set it. The "lesser mags" went steadily "subjective" and silly (£500 for a set of 'interconnects') . I steadily dropped them but stayed faithful to Mr Crabbe, GJ King et al. Then came a change of editor and the beardy, tweaky subjectivists took over.
I have not bought HFN this 20 years.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:58 pm

ef37a wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:

H

Can't see that in print so why not just give a link?

??? I can see it in print. I'm not interested in reading the titles of individual tracks. It's the 'big picture' overview that matters -- the overall structure as discussed in the article, surely? And I'd definitely rather have it on the paper page to glance at while reading.

Sounding off: IMHO "we" don't complain often enough. Having a place in the mag to do that was A VERY GOOD THING.

You need to change your subscription to 'Curmudgeon Weekly', Dave! :lol:

The mag IS getting "samey".

It can't be! Two 'samey' columns have changed in the last month alone! :D

Clooged up with synths and going away from the hard engineering side of audio that I am interested in.

It's been clogged up with synths for the last 33 years, and it's never ever been about 'hard engineering'... Are you sure you've been reading the mag we publish? ;)

I had a standing order for Hi Fi News (and subscribed to Studio Sound which started life as Tape Recording)...

Me too. And we really needed them because audio equipment was generally pretty crap back then, wasn't it? Hugh Ford was an inspiration...

I have not bought HFN this 20 years.

I still buy them very occasionally, usually for the distraction on a train journey or for entertainment when I'm on holiday. Nice production values, and most amusing. I read an interesting article about spring dampers in one a while back. You'd have really liked that! :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:15 pm

ef37a wrote:Sounding off: IMHO "we" don't complain often enough. Having a place in the mag to do that was A VERY GOOD THING.

Well, a part of the reason we've changed it is that we actually received very few submissions for Sounding Off, and quite a few of the ones we did receive weren't usable, so it became a real struggle to fill it every month.

So it's true that people don't like to complain as much as we might think!
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Hmmm, Here's a few thoughts from someone without a long history in the industry or with the magazine.

There has to be a balance of stuff for people new to the hobby* (to encourage new readership) and more in-depth stuff (to satisfy longer-term readers and maintain professional integrity). This inevitably means that as your skills and knowledge grow there will be less 'new' stuff in each issue. Things will start to feel 'samey' because the first three times you're taking something in it's a learning process, after that it becomes repetition - but for someone else it's their first three times...

What is 'new' each time of course, is the product reviews; but as with the shift from professional studio to bedroom hobby, so too comes the shift from hardware to software. It's fun to read about** some truly pro piece of hardware but far more useful, for most, to read about genuinely new plug-ins or techniques.

We've talked on here a few times about how the make-up of this forum is predominantly older, white, and male; I'd love to know what the overall readership of the magazine is like.

I did wonder if there is scope for a section of the magazine focused on those who are new to the subject, but I think we've covered that side of things in the discussion on here about a newbie section of the forum. And there are other publications that seem to target that part of the market.

Personally, I'd just like to see a more frequent column on Reaper techniques. :)

* We don't need The Red Bladder to pop in and remind us that recorded music is fundamentally a consumer hobby now. ;)
** and see some internal photos! :P
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:53 pm

Top dogs before SOS were, International Musician & Music Technology, SOS was quite thin and very heavy-duty back then, I felt more for engineers maybe at the time, hence more Dave’s cuppa I suppose.

Pretty soon after arriving SOS ruled da roost though and has done ever since, it’s still heavy-duty (ish) maybe, for newbies anyway, but also much friendlier to musos, quality informed, experienced writing aside, maybe it was this that helped it take-off so quickly… so it has evolved naturally.

I also remember, down the years, a couple of muso mag’s folding quite soon after launch, so I assume they couldn’t compete with SOS.

Part of the prob for me is, er, well, me, been there, done that und got the T-shirt to prove it. Plus, the lust is waning, er, the gear lust dat is.

Too long in da bleedin’ tooth.