You are here

WHAT a Liberty!

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: WHAT a Liberty!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:28 am

As a studio engineer in my earliest days at the Beeb I occasionally had to deal with the aftermath of sugary coffee and coke drinks spilled into mixing consoles by DJs and tape machines by journalists. In the days of discrete components most things could be cleaned and repaired... but it would be a lot more challenging if not impossible with SMD stuff these days!

Entertainingly, some of the BBC-designed consoles I worked on had a sloping tray under the faders which sloped down towards the front so that spillages were directed onto the lap of the culprit... :lol:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:35 am

I bought a PCI USB 2.0 5port card for one PC and fitted a Cubase dongle to the inside port.

If you have to swap dongles (almost any USB device in fact) you can get wee USB switch boxes. Not much bigger than a matchbox they have a USB A port and two B ports to two PCs. I found it switched a dongle perfectly and thus the switch box+dongle can be put somewhere safe.

Yeah, I guess I AM a cynical old so-and-so where Joe Public is concerned!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
garrettendi wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Maybe I'm very unusual, but no G&Ts (nor any other liquid) has ever found their way near (let alone into) any of my hi-fi or pro-audio gear in over 40 years...

The guys in my old band used to always put their cans of beer on top of the half stack amps in the rehearsal studios we frequented at the time.

Yes, I understand the problem in a stage/rehearsal room situation -- although I've never personally had an issue myself. My rule has always been that amps and other gear sit on stands and beer bottles stay on the floor (and no drinks anywhere near the mixing console!)

But the Mytek isn't a stage device, it's a studio or hi-fi device -- and it costs £1k so it needs to be looked after!

H

Yes Hugh, I get all that. You are a professional and an engineer and know the damage liquids can cause. The point is the world has changed. The people that would buy a £1000 device such as this are now based in a bedroom! Ok, not many but the principle remains the same to me. Why make something even slightly vulnerable when with a bit of thought it could have been avoided?

A while ago we both agreed that leaving valves exposed at the back of a compressor was very bad practice. The makers could argue it is intended for rack mounting but these days in the Home Recording/projjy/hobby studio world it is AS likely to be on a kitchen table!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:38 pm

ef37a wrote:Why make something even slightly vulnerable when with a bit of thought it could have been avoided?

...but it's pretty and aesthetically pleasing... :D
Hugh Robjohns

Postby garrettendi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:...but it's pretty and aesthetically pleasing... :D

Looks don't last! Just take me for instance. I used to be ugly, and now I'm even uglier! :headbang:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Postby Wonks » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:19 am

garrettendi wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:...but it's pretty and aesthetically pleasing... :D

Looks don't last! Just take me for instance. I used to be ugly, and now I'm even uglier! :headbang:

Have you been drilling holes in your head? I know its very hot weather and you want extra ventilation, but in this instance it tends to let liquids out, rather than in.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby ef37a » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:39 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:Why make something even slightly vulnerable when with a bit of thought it could have been avoided?

...but it's pretty and aesthetically pleasing... :D

"Form over Function" in my book Hugh! Like yourself, I cannot recall ever destroying piece of kit by accident such as spillage but I have clouted a few front mounted thumb drives! Replacing the damaged USB port was not that hard (5 years ago. Be a heck of a challenge now!) the most difficult part was sourcing the component.

In the TV trade we could not get replacement PCBs. CRTs, cabinets, knobs, speakers, yes but the ****s would not supply boards (More than one 3rd party company made hay from this and made a top job of fixing UHF tuners!) The result was a whole TV pcb would have to be removed and washed in Fairy liquid and hot water, good rinse in cold water then hung up for a week in front of the W/S hot air heaters. Success rate was, iirc about 75% but that might save a £300 retail (then!) TV. The same process was used for VCRs, even more vulnerable but they did not fair nearly so well, probably due to the denser component population and "micro corrosion" ?

Of course, nobody fixes FA these days!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:51 am

ef37a wrote:"Form over Function" in my book Hugh!

Yes, probably.... but it would be a very dull world if everything was packaged in very plain hermetically sealed boxes. And while there is a theoretical possibility of someone pouring their G&T into the thing, the real-world likelihood is so vanishingly small that I imagine Mytek decided the aesthetic benefit is probably worth the risk.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ef37a » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:10 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:"Form over Function" in my book Hugh!

Yes, probably.... but it would be a very dull world if everything was packaged in very plain hermetically sealed boxes. And while there is a theoretical possibility of someone pouring their G&T into the thing, the real-world likelihood is so vanishingly small that I imagine Mytek decided the aesthetic benefit is probably worth the risk.

H

Ok, we shall agree to.......?
Is there perhaps a fine fabric screen under the holes? That would at least give a few seconds grace to pour off the (10 to the Google chance you say!) spillage and it would also stop the ingress of a tiny sliver of metal.

The subject KEEPS brining back horrors! I had VCR left on a carpet which had been foam cleaned. There was still liquid however deep in the pile and that was drawn into the works over a few days and virtually ate away the PCB!

Yer CAN'T trust 'em to be sensible Hugh!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:01 pm

So a practical question. I have a wonderful new piece of Universal Audio gear that is supposed to be rack mounted but I probably won't do that. It has holes in the top casing and already I see dust accumulation where there are no holes. The unit is built like a tank but can dust and other floating particulate do any eventual damage internally?
Would heat build up be a concern? Could a layer of dust eventually cause a short?
I could cover the holes when the unit is not in use.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:15 pm

Dust accumulation could eventually cause heat problems...

However that will take quite a while on a passively cooled unit. To remove it every now and then a soft very lightly damp tissue "dunked" up and down on the top of the device will lift the dust.. i.e. don't swipe it left and right as dry dust may fall into the holes before it is moistened. That is how I deal with it anyway and seems to have worked well.

A microfibre cloth that is just very lightly damp, not soaked or no drips would also do the job well. Squeeze it out completely and that would be ok. If you want to be mega safe unplug the device from the mains first.
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:29 pm

SafeandSound Mastering wrote:Dust accumulation could eventually cause heat problems...

However that will take quite a while on a passively cooled unit. To remove it every now and then a soft very lightly damp tissue "dunked" up and down on the top of the device will lift the dust.. i.e. don't swipe it left and right as dry dust may fall into the holes before it is moistened. That is how I deal with it anyway and seems to have worked well.

A microfibre cloth that is just very lightly damp, not soaked or no drips would also do the job well. Squeeze it out completely and that would be ok. If you want to be mega safe unplug the device from the mains first.

That is probably about as bad as it gets Safe (Quentin Crisp!) and what I saw in old radios and TVs. We used to blow them out in a garage with a compressor (Pultec IIRC!)

AFAIK the muck did not cause any problems but then valve gear was very rugged. We had a 600W pch PA at B's that would shut down (used to derive 60Hz ) and that was due to a build up of dust on the heat sinks. Had it not had the protection???

In my "TV" times, sets in retail premises were rare but we did have a chippy with a 26" Grundig CTV. That STUNK! These days all sorts of food outlets have a screen. I pity the poor service tech!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous