You are here

Neumann Recording Tools

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Neumann Recording Tools

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:23 pm

I have found these Neumann tools invaluable in recent months, and can heartily recommend them as a very worthwhile addition to a phone or tablet. The app design is elegant and intuitive, the functions are accurate and real-world-useful and, best of all, the Neumann Recording Tools app is entirely free. What’s not to like?

Well there's this. On my Nexus 5x running Android 8.1 when you start the app the usual 3 onscreen buttons (back out, home screen and overview buttons) totally disappear and initially it appears that there is no way out of the app once you're in it. After an awful lot of prodding random bits of screen and in despair I was just going to reboot my phone when I noticed that pressing the power button not only brought up the shutdown dialogue but it also restored the onscreen buttons and I could then exit the app.

Once you know, it's not a problem but it looks like Neumann may have missed a GUI issue in the intervening years since they first issued this app.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Re: Neumann Recording Tools

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:40 pm

On both my previous android (v4) phone, my current android (v8) phone, and my android (v5) tablet, the home/back/overview soft buttons can be brought back with a simple swipe upwards from the bottom edge. It's a GUI technique which is often used on apps that need the full screen real estate.

The only minor GUI issue I have with Neumann's app (accepting that it needs to be in landscape orientation), is that it won't rotate if you want to hold the screen the other way up.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:11 pm

Sadly that doesn't seem to want to work on mine. Still, I have a workaround. The area of the screen where the buttons appear is not used by the app on my phone, so I wonder why it doesn't allow them in the first place. Still, I don't want to cavil too much at what is otherwise an excellent freeby.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:19 pm

Odd! On my tablet and phone the virtual buttons overlap the thumbwheel on the gain&level calculator, so need to disappear during use. They don't impede the angle calulator, but the display is clever without them.

I'm surprised the swipe thing doesnt work for you -- I thought that was a standard android function.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound