You are here

Question regarding PDF issues

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Question regarding PDF issues

Postby Suntower » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:06 am

If I'm not mistaken, you recently announced that you would be including a -free- PDF version of each issue starting with 2018 for paid digital subscribers. That would be moi.

I can't figure out how to access those free PDFs. So... does this mean that I won't be able to get freebies until I -reup- my subscription? Or am I simply missing something obvious?

Please explain.

Thanks for continuing the great work.

---JC

[Added by Forum Admin: This page explains how to access and buy the Full Issue PDFs if you're not a Digital subscriber: https://www.soundonsound.com/information/how-buy-access-sos-full-issue-pdfs]
Suntower
Regular

Re: Question regarding PDF issues

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:31 am

Probably the latter. Go to My Account / Downloads and the issues should be there for you to, er, download. At least, they are for me and have been since the service was announced. It's a really good feature, especially since I could never persuade the e-reader version to work properly on my Android tablet.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Suntower » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:46 am

Thanks!

ConcertinaChap wrote:Probably the latter. Go to My Account / Downloads and the issues should be there for you to, er, download. At least, they are for me and have been since the service was announced. It's a really good feature, especially since I could never persuade the e-reader version to work properly on my Android tablet.

CC
Suntower
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:29 am

It only appeared in the downloads tab today, in my case (yesterday I was a bit pissed when I didn't see it :( )
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:07 am

@Suntower -- after checking, your Digital sub started with the April 2018 issue, so you will see Full Issue PDFs in your My Account > Downloads > Magazines screen from April onwards. Other Digital subscribers whose sub period started earlier might see the bonus PDFs going back to January 2018. Folk can always purchase any Full Issue PDFs not covered by their Digital sub period from our online shop/store here: https://www.soundonsound.com/shop/magazine

There are also links on that page for anyone to download a FREE December 2017 Full Issue PDF to check things out.

@ore_terra -- apologies, there's so much to do in the website back office when we 'go live' with the new issue at 10:30am, that it took us a while to release the September FI-PDF into all Digital subs accounts. Every Digital subscriber should by now have access to them. I can see you have all 9 PDFs in your My Account > Downloads > Magazines :)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby garrettendi » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:17 am

Forum Admin wrote:There are also links on that page for anyone to download a FREE December 2017 Full Issue PDF to check things out.

:o
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Postby ore_terra » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:10 am

Forum Admin wrote:@ore_terra -- apologies, there's so much to do in the website back office when we 'go live' with the new issue at 10:30am, that it took us a while to release the September FI-PDF into all Digital subs accounts. Every Digital subscriber should by now have access to them. I can see you have all 9 PDFs in your My Account > Downloads > Magazines :)

No need man!

I’m alone in Finland working in a 2 weeks project and everything kinda gets me pissed right now, no matter how insignificant :-D
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby worblyhead » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:00 pm

I am having a similar issue here. I started my subscription around the time the admins said the web folks pushed the SEPTEMBER issue out to all digital subscribers. However, I do not see the SEPTMEBER issue availablle for download as a PDF.

I have already raised a support ticket earlier in the week with nothing but a canned, initial response. Any help here would be appreciated greatly.
worblyhead

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:12 pm

worblyhead wrote: I started my subscription around the time the admins said the web folks pushed the SEPTEMBER issue out to all digital subscribers. However, I do not see the SEPTMEBER issue availablle for download as a PDF.

I've looked into this for you. You subscribed on 17 August for a Print+Digital sub, which was 16 days after the active subscribers mailing list was sent to our US printer for September issue print mailouts later that month. Hence why you have not received a September print magazine - because your sub officially started with the forthcoming October 2018 issue. Anyone who buys a bundle sub (print+digital) has their start issue aligned to their first print issue.

However, I have gone in and manually changed your sub to give you September access rights (and given you a freebie August 2018 Full Issue PDF as well), so feel free to explore your MY ACCOUNT> DOWNLOADS > MAGAZINES library.

I have already raised a support ticket earlier in the week with nothing but a canned, initial response. Any help here would be appreciated greatly.

Canned response? That's a necessary automation to inform you that your ticket was received and is in a queue and that we will answer it in order. We get 100s of support tickets and with the summer holidays have been short on staff cover. We don't have dedicated support staff, everyone who can does a stint responding, and they all work from the UK offices too.

But I'm replying here directly to you. :thumbup:
Forum Admin

Postby Wonks » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Forum Admin wrote:But I'm replying here directly to you. :thumbup:

Surely that should be 'St Forum Admin'? :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby worblyhead » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Forum Admin wrote:
Canned response? That's a necessary automation to inform you that your ticket was received and is in a queue and that we will answer it in order. We get 100s of support tickets and with the summer holidays have been short on staff cover. We don't have dedicated support staff, everyone who can does a stint responding, and they all work from the UK offices too.

But I'm replying here directly to you. :thumbup:

Thanks so much for the speedy response. Apologies for being snarky with the "canned response" bit, but in the internet age, expectations of immediate gratification is a constant unfortunate drumbeat banging away in the background. :headbang: I work in the S/W industry and have also done tech support so I should have given you the chance to respond in due time.

I checked my downloads and the September issue is indeed at the ready for download. Awesome. Having the PDF option is great for me as I find myself in a lot of situations where I can't be online, and viewing the issue sans internet connection is key.

Cheers,

D.
worblyhead

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:20 pm

worblyhead wrote:Thanks so much for the speedy response. Apologies for being snarky with the "canned response" bit, but in the internet age, expectations of immediate gratification is a constant unfortunate drumbeat banging away in the background. :headbang: I work in the S/W industry and have also done tech support so I should have given you the chance to respond in due time.

I understand.

worblyhead wrote:I checked my downloads and the September issue is indeed at the ready for download. Awesome.

Good to know.

worblyhead wrote:Having the PDF option is great for me as I find myself in a lot of situations where I can't be online, and viewing the issue sans internet connection is key.

:thumbup: That's exactly why we added it to the DIGITAL subscription service, and at no extra charge. It was our most requested feature and is proving popular already.
Forum Admin

Postby arkieboy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Are there any easy routes to go from an iPad app subscriber to a digital subscriber? Or am I Apple's customer in this regard, and need to wait until my sub with them expires?

Steve
arkieboy
Regular
arK music

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:22 pm

arkieboy wrote:Are there any easy routes to go from an iPad app subscriber to a digital subscriber? Or am I Apple's customer in this regard, and need to wait until my sub with them expires?

Steve

Apple do not share customer info with SOS, and the tablet sub bought via iTunes is a tablet issue download only, that runs within our SOS App. There is therefore no easy way for migration to an SOS-bought Digital sub.

The Full Issue PDF is one of the benefits of buying your Digital sub with SOS directly, as too is access to the Web articles on our site.

If you intend to switch, then please ensure you turn OFF Apple's auto-renew for your existing Apple subscription, to avoid being charged later in the year.

There's nothing of course stopping you signing up now for a SOS Digital sub, and gaining access immediately to this month's Full Issue PDF and Web articles (it actually unlocks all previous web articles too), except you'll have some overlap with what you have already paid to Apple.
Forum Admin