You are here

Bias Mini Guitaramp 2Pro

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Bias Mini Guitaramp 2Pro

Postby ef37a » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:01 am

I agree with Bob Thomas, the XLR DI output should be phantom power proof. Have they not heard of transformers? I cannot find a spec for the DI level but if it is at microphone voltage such a transformer could be quite wee and not expensive ('s only Rock n Roll!)

However I am even more concerned by the warning by the speaker output? It warns not to allow the speaker circuit to come into contact with earthed metal. I assume because the amplifier is two "bridged" devices? In the knock about world of band setup a speaker jack is very likely to brush an amp chassis (is the Mini case earth free?) and plugging into the wrong, for this box, device is always a possibility.

The Mini Amp is in so many ways very clever and sophisticated (and expensive!) well designed power amps have been bombproof for decades, why not this?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Bias Mini Guitaramp 2Pro

Postby John Egan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:52 am

ef37a wrote:I agree with Bob Thomas, the XLR DI output should be phantom power proof. Have they not heard of transformers? I cannot find a spec for the DI level but if it is at microphone voltage such a transformer could be quite wee and not expensive ('s only Rock n Roll!)

However I am even more concerned by the warning by the speaker output? It warns not to allow the speaker circuit to come into contact with earthed metal. I assume because the amplifier is two "bridged" devices? In the knock about world of band setup a speaker jack is very likely to brush an amp chassis (is the Mini case earth free?) and plugging into the wrong, for this box, device is always a possibility.

The Mini Amp is in so many ways very clever and sophisticated (and expensive!) well designed power amps have been bombproof for decades, why not this?

Dave.

There seem to be significant problems for both stage and studio use. Not good enough for a relatively expensive device.
I prefer Atomic's Amplifire, which has equally good models. Bias Pro software is useful, though.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Re: Bias Mini Guitaramp 2Pro

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:28 pm

Having now finally read the article in question I agree with both of Dave's points. For me it would definitely mean this became a studio-only tool - which seems to rob it of a lot of value.

But for some reason product designers never consult me... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...